It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Official "Murphy's Law" thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I believe this to be self explanatory.
Unfortunately, Mr. Murphy has led a dominant place in my life right from the get-go. I know I can't be alone here.
For those unfamiliar with Mr. Murphy..
en.wikipedia.org...'s_law
(not sure if link works..)

No matter what I try to do..it always screws up.
I plan a picnic..it rains.
I get a new fridge, the washer goes Kaputt!
I pay off one bill, another takes it's place.
I plan a trip..and I GET SICK!!!!
GRRRR!!!!
So tell us your MURPHY stories, and how he creates havoc in your life!

[edit on 2-7-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I have been eyeballing this thread all day, trying to think of a story I can tell. Not because I don't have any, but because I have many. Right there is a Murphy story. Analysis paralysis to the maximus.

Okay, here's one. It took a month to get a job, and the job wasn't the greatest. The first day I go to ride my bicycle in the back tire is flat. WTF? The bike is brand new. So I clumsily get the back tire off, which by the way is the annoying one to do. I get the tube out, and look for the hole, I have these neat self adhesive patches. I find the hole, but I don't have a pump. I also realize that I don't have a tire gauge.

So, I drive up to the gas station... Thinking they they will have a gauge for me to use. I start to pump my tire up, and figure I should go get the gauge. I go up to the counter and ask, the woman behind the counter flirts with me. Not bad, it's always good (the best part of this story actually). She gives the gauge and I go outside.

Meanwhile a skinny dude in an old beat up truck pulls up and starts yo use the air (which was free, God bless free air). The dude starts muttering about how he filled it up the other day and it must be the heat. I also figure the dude is tweaked out of his gourd. He tries to fill it up to the right amount, but it won't for him. He starts bugging out. "there's something wrong with this, I think it's broken" he says quickly.

He goes inside, possibly causes a seen and leaves. I finish filling my tie up to the required 80 psi, and bring in the gauge. The flirty woman behind the counter asks. "What was up out there, is it broken"? I replied "I think he was broken" referring to his obvious tweaked out state. I left and had 15 minutes to spare before i had to ride my 4.5 miles to work.

Got my tire on, and left for work. Helmet on head (I've ridden enough to know that it's best to wear them and I am glad I did). I am sailing down the hill, I mean cruising. The light on the crosswalk has the walking fellow so I choose to fly through. However a driver decides they will go to. I haven't tested my front breaks yet. Now is the time to do so.

I squeeze them closed and nothing really happens... Quickly I remember I have a back break too. I squeezed them too, without releasing the front. I miss the car, or it misses me because their breaks are dialed in, but My tires begin to tweak like the man back at the gas station. I am swaying on this bike and luckily I reacted quickly. I didn't want to imitate super man in the middle of a road in front of a car, on a busy highway.

My quick maneuvering payed off, and I made it to work on time heart pumping and all. I live for this stuff, an adrenaline junkie bent on feeling life in the moment. One can always get another pair of shorts. Now for the boring part. Works drills on, with robots swinging their arms dropping tedium after tedium for 8 hours.

Work is down and I am gearing up. Helmet... check. Backpack... Check. I-pod playing loud trance music... check. My heart is pumping again, the thrill of the ride dancing about in my mind like a spastic A.D.H.D. kid on a huge can of Monster Java Irish Blend. I go to leave, music blaring and bumping, and wtf. My back tire is flat. Son of a biscuit. It's 12:15 AM, I am exhausted from work and my wretched tire is flat.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by eye open doors]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yep..some days it's just better to stay in bed.
I feel like the Care Bear named 'Grumpy" who has a rain cloud on his tummy, and walks around saying..
"Why do these things always happen to me!?"

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Murphy's Law For Semper...

The older and the nicer the Granny looks, the more she is going to fight me when I go to talk to her....

(I'm not kidding)

Semper

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I commonly ask myself...

Why have I happened to this

reply to post by semperfortis

Those little old ladies can be mean

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
OK..now I've just had enough.
Yes, I'm Irish..about as much as a Prince Edward Island potato...
but this little "AHEM" disturber named Murphy has just gotten on my last nerve.
I move to a new town, new start..new people...new cafe' to sit and relax in..and what do I have greet me upon entering????
www.themooncafe.ca...
MURPHY the little butt kickin' , green as a shamrock, irish midget.
Somebody go outside and flag me down a passing lumberjack..I need an axe to chop up this little bugger into toothpicks.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Oh lord.....

Everything that can go wrong WILL go wrong and will without warning. I think that I might have a couple of stories pertaining to his 'laws.' This happened to me while I was out train watching one day.

I had went out for the day because I had got an email the previous week of a deadhead passenger move that was coming through. Not even before I get down to where I am going, I realized that I had forgot the tripod to my camera. I get down to one of my favorite locations to get the guy. As soon as I set my camera bag down, a westbound popped up. Not realizing that the eastbound signal had changed, doofus me decided to stay on the side of the tracks I was on and I missed the eastbound. Not only that, but when I tried to snap a shot of the deadhead, my camera just died without warning.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Oh man, :shk:

ALWAYS happens with buses. Especially late night ones.

I'll get to the stop earlier than I need to, and I'll wait a good 5-10 mins for it to show, better late than never..

But when I'm there at the timetabled time... No way, it's already pulling out..

:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

join