It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Price Breakdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
No, I'm not writing a new bluegrass song lol but I was wondering as to the actual break down of oil.

In other words, what prices AND processes are involved from the gasoline coming from the ground and into my gas tank?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
i've been wondering about that for a long time. i remember hearing something about an investigation into that a while back but it got filtered out after a day or so.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Found a good artical about it here.

When you pump $30 into your tank, that money is broken up into little pieces that get distributed among several entities. Gas is just like any other consumer product: There's a supply chain and several groups who are responsible for setting the price of the product. The media can sometimes lead you to believe that the price of gas is based solely on the price of crude oil, but there are actually many factors that determine what you pay at the pump. No matter how expensive gas becomes, all of these entities have to get their slice of the pie. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, here's an approximation of where each dollar you spend on gas goes:

Taxes: 11 cents
Distribution and Marketing: 6 cents
Refining: 10 cents
Crude oil: 73 cents

join