It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather have no rights and be protected or...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Freedom over protection. What good is protection when the government would use it to turn us into slaves.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Well, like I said, both societies sound like nightmares to me but I didn't want to give a cop-out non-answer by saying neither. Yes, society B, as many problems as I can foresee occurring, would still be preferable to me personally over society A. If I was a 6'4 300 pound male NRA poster child like my husband, it would be a whole other story. But I am too wispy to fend for myself in a world of society A.
So, that is my honest answer.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by harvib

if you told me they would ban the Christian faith, then I might have a problem.

i loved what you said about not caring to fit in. an attitude i wish i saw more of. and being home early and not having tickets and such doesn't make you boring, makes you a responsible momma...

"power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." just something to ponder on.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe in 'The Bill of Rights' and 'The US Constitution...'

The way our founding fathers laid out. Americans deserve nothing less!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tapped In
reply to post by harvib

Neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe in 'The Bill of Rights' and 'The US Constitution...'

The way our founding fathers laid out. Americans deserve nothing less!

americans don't deserve it if they don't preserve it. it is not a right, but a priveledge.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'd have to take the first option. I would rather be responsible for myself than to have big brother watching my every move waiting for me to mess up.

Scarlett

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
----Benjamin Franklin

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It has to be a balance. It's almost like a natural law, if this concept, of rights vs whether or not the government can feed you, becomes unbalanced, the government will be scraped and a new one will emerge.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Can I be the different guy, and pick C. A country, that returned to it's initial foundings, in their basic fundamental ideals (our forefathers'), and re-prioritized towards:

1. The continuance, betterment, and understanding of the human species, in all form/race/color/religion, and our universe, to the best of our abilities. Let's start here, leave no stone unturned, but harm as little as necessary.

2. Peace, not thru forceful means, but thru genuine human initiative, hard work, and an "all of us together can't lose" attitude. Let's get everyone on the same playing field, while still giving them their rights to handle their own.

3. True self-worth, not sociopathic recognition thru self-degradation. Education, when put first, could prove quite valuable. Imagine the possibilities of a world on the right track.

A guy can dream, can't he?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I agree option C.

Return the country to the citizens and uphold the constitution and bill of rights, and hold accountable those who would undermine the constitution.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by siFtInG

A guy can dream, can't he?

yup, and you're not the only one!!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As a Canadian, i would have to say that i also prefer freedom, at any and all cost! If goverments use too much power on people, it could spark a revolution. A good example is the French revolution. It may take time and lots of efforts, but if we unite, we can prevail.
The biggest freedom mankind can have is the freedom of the mind. If you are not influenced by anything, you are free.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by teklordz]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I will take anarchy over fascism any day of the week. What the OP fails to point out is that there will be "no crime or terrorism" because any that does happen will be state-sponsored. So there will be people dieing of starvation, persecuted for all sorts of reasons, and even "street" crimes like rape perpetrated by the enforcers of law. At the very least, those who did not conform entirely, would be exterminated, even for something as simple as indulging in ice cream or un-sanctioned sexual relations.

At least with anarchy we have a fighting chance. Even cute tiny women can learn how to shoot and make powerful friends.

EDIT to add:

Great question OP, starred and flagged!

[edit on 7/2/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Personally, I think the constitution as written, interpreted literally instead of, "If it's convenient", strikes a good balance.

I don't think the government belongs in peoples homes, religions, or family lives.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I agree the constitution is the best guide we could ever have. If only we listened to the advice of our fore fathers, the world would be a much better place... damn you central bankers *shakes fist*

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I would prefer to live where people are the real government not some F*CKING machines. If the government was not so F*CKING greedy I believe there would be a better place for us.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I respect your opinion! I look up to those that state their opinions knowing it is the minority view point. Without opposing view points we would never be able to reflect on our own views.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

there will be "no crime or terrorism" because any that does happen will be state-sponsored. So there will be people dieing of starvation, persecuted for all sorts of reasons, and even "street" crimes like rape perpetrated by the enforcers of law. At the very least, those who did not conform entirely, would be exterminated, even for something as simple as indulging in ice cream or un-sanctioned sexual relations.

I believe you are right. Crime is a subjective term. Those who make the laws can commit horrible travesties without ever committing a "crime".

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Maybe I am a little screwy, but when I think of the idea of anarchy it really doesn't sound that terrible.

Do what you want when you want, live how you want, survival of the fittest. 100% freedom to be whoever or whatever you choose to be.

Really, all you have to worry about is being killed, and the trade off is actually pretty fair for what you get in return. True freedom.

If this method of survival is good enough for the rest of the creatures in the animal kingdom, why not humans? Maybe it would be more natural than trying to pretend that we are all living in some sort of perfect, politically correct, safe little world where everything is legislated and mandated and regulated down to the last little detail. Boring.

Humans are nothing more than chimps wearing hats and driving motor cars, pretending to be civilized. When you get down to it, the whole thing is just a facade.

I do realize of course that anarchy would be no way for an intelligent, well reasoned society to progress. But as someone pointed out before, a guy can dream can't he?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I would rather TEXAS split from the US and let yall work it out. I like our laws and freedom. It's leaving TX on biz I hate. CA IL and NY being the top 3 I hate having to travel to. TX could get along just fine without the other states. It would be rough at first, but worth it down the road.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join