It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people still fall for internet ( email) scams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have seen so many email scams in my inbox its pathetic. After reading most of them i cant understand how people fall for them. The latest one i recieved today is just to funny. These people cant even come up with good names to make it sound more convincing. Here is What i recieved today.....

OUTSTANDING PAYMENT NOTIFICATION

Good day

Your Long overdue Payment.

I saw your email ( in the Central Computer among the list of unpaid contractors, inheritance next of kin and lotto beneficiaries that was originated from Africa, Europe, Asia Plus Middle east, Americans ) among the list of individuals and companies that your unpaid fund has been located in the bank

Your email appeared among the beneficiaries, who will receive a part-payment of your contractual sum and has been approved already for months.You are requested to get back to me for more direction and instruction on how to receive your fund. However, we received an email from one Mr.Virgle Lee Samples who told us that he is your next of kinand that you died in a car accident last week. He has also submitted his account for us to transfer the fund to him including his International passport,we want to hear from you before we can make the transfer to confirm if you are dead or not.

Once again, I apologize to you on behalf Of IMF (International Monetary Fund) for failure to pay your funds in time, which according to records in the system had been long overdue.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr.Rodrigo De Rato.

There should be away to make these people pay up to all who they try to scam. Would love to hear Others take on this and share other scams they have recieved. The funny part of this scam and not just the names they use, Is the fact that they say my name was picked out of a database of e-mails and there is someone claiming i died in a car wreck and he is my next of kin
They could atleast gave him my same last name. What idiots. I feel sorry for the people that are taken by these scams. Makes you wonder where peoples reasoning has gone. A little common sense will tell you this is bogus.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think the elderly are the ones that get taken the most

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i get this regularly as well, all of them look like what you just showed.... i have never fallen for one, i actually sent an email to one of these, and they replied back saying thank you for the reply, now if we could just get your information it will be paid in lbs. or something like that......yeah if they could just get my personal info....idiots

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Heh, I actually get a kick out of these. I never use my real name so I get some wierd Hellos.
"Hello Asdgh, I am ect..."
Yeesh. The people who get taken in are gullible or hopeful.
Probably some of the same folks that fall for crappy Youtube vids...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I believe in making people happy. So....

On one hand there are a lot of people in the world who need money.
On the other there are lot of people in the world who have money they want to give away.

If you can get these two people together, both will thank you later.

For this to work all you need do is find an email bride for every Nigerian email you receive.

Then you respond to the Nigerian email like so:

"Dear (insert idiots name here),

I am currently (incapacitated, in a mental ward, don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground, dead), and this condition prevents me from responding with the information necessary.

Therefore, I have enlisted the aid of (insert prospective bride's email here) to assist me in relieving you of the burden of this vile, evil, nasty stuff you call M-O-N-E-Y.

Please feel free to contact (insert prospective bride's name here) immediately so that this endeavor may go forward."

For double the fun make up your own email bride so you can keep the idiot confused with stories of uncle Jim, aunt Martha, and the whole gang. Relax and have fun.

Eventually you can let him in on the dirty little secret that you are doing 90 days to life for murdering your husband. But as soon as this money is received you have a plan to escape and be his forever.

Does it work?
Not one person has ever written me back to complain!
That's all the proof I need.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
There was a show on tv about these scams and they had a senator who fell not once but twice for this BS. The senator lost about 5 million if my memory serves me correctly.

I get these emails all the time and just bounce em to the junk bin for deletion.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thats why i proibited my mom to use my computer , she just kept faling for those , even after i warned her , my pc was full of adware and malware it was slow has hell.

top topics

join