It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space probes show solar system dented, not round

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Space probes show solar system dented, not round

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - When viewed from the rest of the galaxy, the edge of our solar system appears slightly dented as if a giant hand is pushing one edge of it inward, far-traveling NASA probes reveal.
ADVERTISEMENT

Information from Earth's first space probes to hit the thick edge of the solar system — called the heliosheath where the solar wind slows abruptly — paint a picture that is not the simple circle that astronomers long thought, according to several studies published Thursday in the journal Nature. Surprised astronomers said they will have to change their models for what the solar system looks like.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So the solar system is not perfectly round, wow. This should be especially interesting to physicists and astronomers trying to figure out what other forces are acting on us "out there".

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
No one has thought the solar system was perfectly round, it's been know that's it's elliptical for a really long time, so the article is misleading in that sense. I don't know what they mean by dented.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shakesbeer

Wow,thats some pretty big news.Makes you wonder is the 'dent' caused by a neighboring star?Although I don't think Nibiru is likely true it seems like this would give it more credence.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
well at the bottom of the article they explain that it is forces from diff. star systems in the Milky Way causing it. No big deal, actually the big deal is that the voyagers are still working and sending back data. thats cool as hell.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowcard
No one has thought the solar system was perfectly round, it's been know that's it's elliptical for a really long time, so the article is misleading in that sense. I don't know what they mean by dented.

because of the enormous gravitational field at the center of the galaxy, it stands to reason that this is correct. the "hand" pushing in is simply the force being applied to our solar system as well as to others in this galaxy.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
well at the bottom of the article they explain that it is forces from diff. star systems in the Milky Way causing it. No big deal, actually the big deal is that the voyagers are still working and sending back data. thats cool as hell.

Good point about the Voyagers,I thought they died out years ago.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Just some more news in more detail
www.planetary.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by yellowcard

because of the enormous gravitational field at the center of the galaxy, it stands to reason that this is correct. the "hand" pushing in is simply the force being applied to our solar system as well as to others in this galaxy.

I didn't ask "why?" I asked what is meant by "dent." Dent as in planetary orbits have curvature or dent as in the bending of light, or dent as in...what?

new topics

top topics

join