It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Shows Cop Choking Marijuana Suspect Unconscious

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

rawstory.com

WKRN News 2 reports that “the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating after video shot from inside a Mount Joliet patrol car shows an officer choking a suspect.”

In the video, the officer has both hands around the neck of the suspect and is telling him to “stick your tongue out.” The suspect, James Anders, then passes out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
LOL.

Look at the bright side, at least he didn't TAZE him repeatedly.

Seriously though, this is pretty sad. We definitely need those personal use laws amended IMO. Arrests are bad enough for this-it's a huge waste of taxes and resources, then you have this type of behavior over something as miniscule as this.

Anders was arrested on charges of possessing marijuana, resisting arrest, and tampering with evidence. The charges were later dismissed because of the police officer’s behavior. Cosby was reprimanded and the tape was handed over to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

rawstory.com

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Blue bastards! Power hungry pigs, think they can abuse the rest of us with no consequences!

I don't see the rational in spending massive amounts of money chasing after pot smokers when there are plenty of DANGEROUS and VIOLENT criminals out there running around.

Obviously prohibition has failed miserably, it's time for a new approach.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

rawstory.com

WKRN News 2 reports that “the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating after video shot from inside a Mount Joliet patrol car shows an officer choking a suspect.”

In the video, the officer has both hands around the neck of the suspect and is telling him to “stick your tongue out.” The suspect, James Anders, then passes out.

gee, if only the guy had cheated people out of hundreds of millions of dollars, they wouldn't have laid a hand on him. but he had to go smoke marijuana, and police just have to assault him for that....i mean this is america!!!! and we always, always, kick someones ass who is powerless...god bless america!!!!

[edit on 2-7-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Anyone who knowns me here, knows that I'm not a big fan of the police, but I don't really see this as a case of outright abuse at all. This is a standard technique. It doesn't look like the officer was doing this as a punitive measure or intended to have the suspect pass out. You want a "war on drugs," this is what you get, and a lot worse.

Now if you want to argue that the police shouldn't be bothering with drug arrests, I would agree. But it appears that with the laws as they stand right now, this officer was only doing his job.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

gee, if only the guy had cheated people out of hundreds of millions of dollars, they wouldn't have laid a hand on him. but he had to go smoke marijuana, and police just have to assault him for that....i mean this is america!!!! and we always, always, kick someones ass who is powerless...god bless america!!!!

[edit on 2-7-2008 by jimmyx]

AMEN!! Brother!! It's a shame that police officers had to do that to a man who smoked some weed and didn't hurt anyone. I've seen murderers and child molestors treated better than this guy.

I'm so glad the judge saw the truth and dismissed the charges and the tape is being investigated.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
.....He kept on choking the suspect even after the suspect looked like his lights were out....

And people wonder why the civilian population despises cops. The cop was using Vascular restriction... What a polite way to say "I am going to choke you"... And he did this to stop him from possibly ODing.... off of pot.... He choked the suspect so that he would not OD on pot...

Bravo supercop. Satan would be proud.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
all that cop had to do was let him swallow it and have him charged with internal possession he didn't have to choke him out like that .
just another wonderful day in the police state .

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
have you ever met smoker of the substane "m" who was violent,or need to be choked out?....i havent this is disgusting and i hope this cop gets some time in prison...what an arse.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hmm.. so a cop can choke me to death if he suspects I have drugs? Thats convenient.

I hope I don't walk past anyone smoking marijuana anytime soon

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I love how they dropped the charges in hopes of avoiding the certain lawsuit. That should be an interesting case, actually. I can see the lawyer asking the kid for his account of what happened and the kid saying "Well, it all boils down to 3 little letters: THC, as in:
Then
He f'n
Choked me!"

Seriously though, enough with the war on pot. Go after all the meth labs, coke dealers, heroin dealers, and acid producers you want. At least each of those substances have proven high risks of death associated with heavy use. I still haven't heard of anyone keeling over from bud usage unless maybe some folks have overindulged on the Funyuns for a few years and suffered a heart attack or diabetes.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Who's the real criminal here?

You don't see tokers going around choking people who mind their own business... what a screwed up world this can be sometimes.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What I would like to know is wether or not the kid was actually trying to swallow the pot, and wether or not it was recovered.

For those who argue that "it was just a little pot" and figure the cop didn't have to choke him, you're not seeing the bigger picture.

The officer doesn't see it as the kid trying to swallow a little pot. The officer is trained to prevent a suspect from destroying evidence, to start with. So the cop doesn't see "pot" he only sees "evidence."

Secondly, even when his mind does register "drugs" he still isn't thinking a bit of "harmless" pot. His training kicks in and tells him that the kid might die if he swallows drugs, period. Training trumps common sense once again. We know that swallowing some pot doesn't kill, but that thought never crosses the officer's mind.

Then there is one last thing to consider. Where there is pot, there is often other drugs as well. So the officer had reasonable grounds to think that the drugs being swallowed, may not have actually been weed at all, but something that might actually be deadly if swallowed.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I honestly think that this increase in reports of both police brutality and excessive force are a direct result of the new "training" and indoctrination the police receive thanks to the War on Terror.

I feel that officers are no longer trained as public servants but are trained to regard the public with suspicion and doubt. They are no longer here to protect those of us that are good guys they are just here to figure out which one of us is a secret bad guy.

There's a definite distinction these days, an almost tangible wall between citizens and law enforcement officers. It's as if the officers are "members of the party" and citizens are just suspects who haven't committed a crime yet.

There was a time when I could be friendly with officers, I've even let them into my house on noise complaints (my brother was a drummer) and we had perfectly decent conversations, they were polite and that was that.

However, I've had incidents with officers more recently and they gave me the impression that they were waiting for me to do something. I fear having to interact with police officers now. I feel like a suspect now, what with the random searches on the subway and the ever watchful patrol cars.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
that newscaster looks just like ron burgundy!

but i we can a learn a lesson from this. Smoking Marijuana IS BAD!

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ObamaMomma]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This is really sad.

The bad boys in blue are just that... the bad guys. How many times have the people that are supposed to protecting our rights laid a beatdown on the innocent??? I understand he was guilty of smoking but that is absolutely no justification for the use of force. Police brutality at its worst. I have never liked cops and have had my fair share of run ins with the law, but this is the type of thing that makes me sick.... especially since people high on weed are usually not the violent type. Disgusting

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

It's as if the officers are "members of the party" and citizens are just suspects who haven't committed a crime yet.

Oh, but you have comitted a crime. And even if you haven't in the past few minutes, it wouldn't take much to push your buttons enough to commit a crime in their prescence. Disorederly conduct and resisting arrest charges always stick.

So really, when you see a cop, there is really only one thing running through their mind. Do they like you or not? Because if they don't, for any reason, you're going to jail.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I'm afraid you're right jack, in a few years time we will all be criminals for thinking and speaking freely regardless of the fact that it is our right as natural born humans regardless of our nation of residence.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ObamaMomma

but i we can a learn a lesson from this. Smoking Marijuana IS BAD!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

I'm afraid you're right jack, in a few years time we will all be criminals for thinking and speaking freely regardless of the fact that it is our right as natural born humans regardless of our nation of residence.

For all intents and purposes, I think we are already there, I'm sad and embittered to say. After all, What freedom do you have that can not be infringed or taken away arbitrarily?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join