It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will You Accept Obama as Your New President if He Wins the Election?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
With the coming Fourth of July holiday and after watching Obama’s speech on patriotism, I found I share his views that America is a country founded on the idea that all men are created equal and should be protected from prosecution and tyranny. It is my opinion that we are not quite there yet and need to continue moving in that direction. I love not only my country, but also the idea that it represents, and I feel that Obama will help in that cause.

Recently, I feel that we have not been following this pursuit, and that there are those among us that have a different plan for our country and have gained a strong foothold in the positions of power in Washington. They believe that they are right and that to keep our country strong we need to do things in the name of national defense and to hold on to our status of a global super power. They believe that those of us who are against the invasion of Iraq are unpatriotic and want to bring this country down.

These two opposing views have created an identity crisis in this country and will continue regardless of who wins the election. I still believe that our votes matter, even with evidence that our voting system has been manipulated in recent elections. This only works if the election is close, because they can’t overturn the will of the vast majority. I think the coming election will be a huge victory for Obama, because that is the will of the people.

Even if McCain were to be elected, and it is shown the majority of the people wanted him as their next president, I would accept that and hope he will change his mind and bring our troops home from Iraq. It will not be the end of the world. There will be those that will not accept it, and will continue to complain and point out every weakness. Likewise, I think that if Obama wins the election that there will be those that will continue to do the same.

If Obama does win the election and it is shown that the majority of the people in America want him as their next president and you have opposed him throughout the campaign, why not accept it and see that this is the direction we want to take? After all, this is what democracy is all about. If you do not, then in my opinion that would be unpatriotic because you are not following the rules of a democracy and you will continue to force your ideology on me. I am tired of having people tell me I am unpatriotic and try to tell me how to think. If the majority of the people also agree, will you accept it?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't see how any American citizen has any choice but to accept the new president. That doesn't mean I'm not going to bitch and moan when his policies lower the quality of my life.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think Bush is literally the worst President in the history of the country (even surpassing Hoover, Buchanan, etc) but I accept him as the President. 70%+ of Americans may not approve of him, but so far no one has tried revolution...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

"" If the majority of the people also agree, will you accept it? ""

screw the majority

if they had a clue, the teevee would be off and the D.C. whores would be going nuts trying to figure out

how to suck up and get folks to accept their lies because they'd know we were wise to them.

how anyone could actually NOT think about an alternative to the usual jerks that are served up as

viable candidates is beyond my way of thinking.

as far as accepting or not accepting. I didn't know we had a choice! can you point out where we do?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I see it as respecting the office. But nothing says you have to respect the person.

It took a Jimmy Carter presidency to get Ronald Reagan. So if that is what the majority of Americans want, it just sets up the next Republican candidate up for greatness!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I will.

Obama for POTUS

whatever it takes to get him there.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I will accept Obama the same way I would accept McCain and the same way I accepted Bush.... as the next preselected person to rise to power with an agenda to lower my quality of life. As another President who will find more ways to bend me over and stick it to me without even having enough consideration to kiss me first or use any lubrication. When will the people finally realize that Republicans and Democrats make no difference? They are just like a football team..offense and defense. They may dress on opposite sides of the locker room, but they are on the same team with the same goal. Win.

edit to add: We elected a Democratic Congress to end the war. Instead they funded it and have protected this President and have allowed him to do what he wishes. If that is not enough to make you see that they are on the same team then please tell me...what WILL it take?

[edit on 2-7-2008 by MrWendal]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

Thanks for the input BT, but in case you haven't noticed, that is already happening in this global economy. I have a good job and many things that others don't and I know that will not last forever, but that will not be due to whether we elect Obama or not.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by toasted
as far as accepting or not accepting. I didn't know we had a choice! can you point out where we do?

You have a choice to re-evaluate your beliefs. If the majority of the people choose a candidate that will reverse many of the current policies then maybe it is time to do that.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hell yes : )

If not I would respect the presidential status not the person : )

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
that's the sad thing, is they have us set up to accept either one as our president and both are against everything this country was founded on.

how many of the ppl here on ATS have claimed to take the red pill bc i beg to differ as i skip from thread after thread reading what ppl are writing concerning this election.

over half have no clue what the real history of their country is. we have no choice BUT to accept either of these anti american politicians. they know it and whether we know or not, we have to accept...... which is what they bank on us believing.

(this is no offense to any one person.. i am just saddened to have come to a site where i thought ppl would have educated themselves better on the history of the country they claim, how they gov't was supposed to work, and how far off track we have come
i see the blue pill is still be swallowed by the pounds)

[edit on 2-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What if he's not voted in? Can we accept that? I will. But if he some how becomes President of the United States then that's that. I will accept, but probably not respect.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I am excited to have him entering the WH, as I think it will be a BIG step forward for us in the eyes of the rest of the world, and allow us to be more accepted once more.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
edit to add: We elected a Democratic Congress to end the war. Instead they funded it and have protected this President and have allowed him to do what he wishes. If that is not enough to make you see that they are on the same team then please tell me...what WILL it take?

I agree that we should hold our elected officials accountable for various things, but I don't agree they are one in the same. If they were, they wouldn't be so aggressively trying to tear each other down. There are several reasons why nothing has been done and I don't think we know all the factors. I think that after GB leaves office, we may uncover more issues, but even if nothing is done, I think that history will not be kind to him.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I could care less about weather the USA is respected in the world if I am living in my car and fishing food out of a garbage can behind McDonalds and it makes no difference who gets into the WH, the same agenda will be followed that makes the above scenario a reality.

Sure we could vote for someone who will reverse policies, I already do but then we run into the same problems.... election fraud or the sheep outnumber the people who are smart enough to actually know whats going on. In the end... it doesn't matter. You are playing poker against someone and the cards are marked and you can't see it! Guess what? Your not gonna win!

In my opinion there is only one real choice.... and it was given to us by the forefathers of this country....

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

They do not tear each other down at all. They actually build each other up. They have a give and take relationship that keep these two parties at the top. It's one big game and no one else is invited to come and play. The only real difference between the two sides is how they will get to the endgame. Just liek a football team... they both have the same goal. Just different views on how to accomplish it.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I could care less about weather the USA is respected in the world if I am living in my car and fishing food out of a garbage can behind McDonalds and it makes no difference who gets into the WH, the same agenda will be followed that makes the above scenario a reality.

Sure we could vote for someone who will reverse policies, I already do but then we run into the same problems.... election fraud or the sheep outnumber the people who are smart enough to actually know whats going on. In the end... it doesn't matter. You are playing poker against someone and the cards are marked and you can't see it! Guess what? Your not gonna win!

In my opinion there is only one real choice.... and it was given to us by the forefathers of this country....

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

it feels so good to see someone else understand the true meaning of the principles this country was founded on.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I somewhat agree with you and I am not saying Obama will be a perfect president. I do think this is a step in the right direction. If you don't think that either candidate is worthy, then maybe you can give some other reasonable solution. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on what our country was founded on, but by all means tell us your version of the truth.

edit: sorry a little behind in replying.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

So you are suggesting a new revolution. We already had one, and many feel we are right back where we started. What good will another do when afterward we will need a third?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Now your saying you do not think he is the perfect President...so what you are saying is that your giving your vote away to the lesser of 2 evils and that sir is the problem. That is the choice everyone makes every election. That is the problem and the real solution lies with the things the forefathers of this country told us. We were warned long ago and the answer is simple. The question we have to ask ourselves is what are you willing to sacrifice for your freedom?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join