It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Meditation Technique for Uncontrollable Thought

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
I'm going to sart my own thread, Omni... be on the lookout.

Maybe you can drop me a line in here or u2u just to make sure I don't miss it.

reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Thanks.

Nice idea, haven't thought about that specifically. I don't personally use the "Earth" visualization myself. I was using it as an example. My personal meditation isn't really on the same track as what I posted. That's why I didn't use it.

One visualization I have done before involving the Sun is visualizing each chakra as it's own sun inside me. I'm not the best at visualization yet though. Got quite a bit of work left in that area. Too many years of strictly verbal cerebral work I guess.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OmniVersal

There are other people that have seen things and experienced things in meditation that I never have. Maybe I never will in this life. But I realized that trying to seek someone else's destination is just not the right way. We are each unique and I feel we should each seek our own unique creative pathway.

I couldn't agree with this more - I thing it applies to everything pretty much

it's one of the things I like most about "us" is how different we are from each other - even when we're the same

and I'll check out the book - sounds interesting - thanks again

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmniVersal

One visualization I have done before involving the Sun is visualizing each chakra as it's own sun inside me. I'm not the best at visualization yet though. Got quite a bit of work left in that area. Too many years of strictly verbal cerebral work I guess.

That could do it, yes.

Once the mind has developed in a certain way, it's more or less up to you to reel it back in and fling it off in another direction or path.

I'm not very good at visualisation either, but the good thing about the sun is that it's something that you don't really have to visualise (you can look at pictures of the sun on the internet, or watch a sunset/sunrise) but still retains the same effect just by becoming aware of the sheer scale of it.

Obviously, it's quite easy to remember what something like that looks like, so visualisation becomes incredibly simple where the sun is concerned.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

try this....

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

too cool

that's the nicest thing I've watched on you tube - or maybe anywhere - in a while

I don't know if you ever use Photoshop - but if you do - you should try moving through an image at the pixel level - just color/value/randomness and pattern

it's a similar feeling - I get lost in there sometimes

not useful when I should be working - but relaxing

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I've got some book from the daila lama and he has another method that sounds pretty simple, don't try to control your thought but try and observe the thought. It makes you detached from your thoughtprocess or something and with a little process your thoughts will calm down because of the lack of reaction from the one observing the whole braincircus.

And the harder you try to not think about something the harder it is going to be so just accepting thhere are thoughts and observing them will eventually kill it. That's the theory in anycase.

Nice thread btw

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

I've read one or two of his books, i found them quite helpful after figuring out that i was infact approaching meditation from the right angle.

The written world should not be denied, one feels.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

That does work indeed. I've been able to kill thoughts just by watching them.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Harman

That reminded me of something I read about a decade ago when I started this arduous journey of self sculpture.

It was about thoughts animating. A thought comes and we just grab a hold of it and animate it. One thought leads to another which leads to more and on and on.

It went on to say that a thought is like a shooting star and the mind is the sky. But we are conditioned to have that shooting star take up the whole sky all the time. We can choose to just let it flash across our mind without animating it. But most often we just fill the sky up.

Thanks for bringing it up as I had forgotten about that.

Burn the land,
Boil the sea,
They can't take the sky from me.
"Serenity"

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I tend to use anti sound to get right into a theta wave state. Anti sound is the sound of silence. I actually think of it as a sound though...the sound of silence...

usually if I cannot seem to get a thought out of my head I will proceed to use anti sound to zap it out of existence...
for example

Theres no way Im taking any microchip

Theres no way Im taking any....

Theres no way Im taking...

Theres no way Im...

Theres no way...

Theres no...

Theres...

........... = anti sound

focus on .........

good luck

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Whichever technique arises in the first moments of thinking about it -

Starred Osho's advice not to be all disciplined and serious.

Starred visualizing the sun.

Are You MADitating?

Surya meditation has had such a profound effect on how I deal with this thing called life that it scares me to think how I would be if I had not stumbled on it. (Surya means center, core or essence.)

The operative word in Surya meditation is REST. If you’ve been “trying,” you don’t have to any more, because you can rest. Through this practice, you learn to rest so deeply and so completely that you won’t understand how you could ever have done anything else. Over time, as years of accumulated stresses leave your body/mind/spirit, deeper levels of your consciousness become available to you, effortlessly. You don’t have to figure it out because it already exists at the depth of your being. The reason for the “disconnect” from your Center is eons of identification with things other than the Wisdom within.

Surya meditation is easy to learn.

It is not about techniques or learning new ways to improve yourself. It encourages you to abandon all self-improvement ideas so that, as you rest and your system clears, you begin to connect in a real way to the essence that lives at the deepest level of your being.

Also:

Mindfulness In Plain English
H. Gunaratana Mahathera

is a free ebook somewhere...

For myself I often fly through the eidetic shapes that appear on the back of your eyelids when they're closed.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Excellent point! In fact, a variation of this is how I was able to, after years of trial, "break through" to where I wanted to be... which, is nowhere but "in control".

The uncontrollable thoughts were so bad at first that they seemed like demons, intent on holding fast a barrier between me, and myself.

To me, this "barrier" is like a maze. When viewed face on, it appears as a solid wall. However, when viewed from above, the way becomes clear, as the pathways are no longer camouflaged by the patterns and textures of the walls.

Armed with this new concept, I began my sessions by visualizing myself flying, looking down on my thoughts. I imagine my thoughts as vehicles on the highways of consciousness, from the perspective of a bird flying high above. I would then begin to follow one of these thoughts. At this point, the thought is not distinct, it's just one of the random thoughts flowing through my mind. As I follow from above, I gradually descend, getting closer and closer to a particular thought. As I come down, fewer and fewer thoughts remain in my visual field. Sooner or later, I land "inside" the thought I had been following. I visualize this as a high-tech vehicle of sorts, something out of the movie "Tron" for example. I can see a very limited number of other thoughts, still zipping along the highways through the windows of this vehicle. Slowly, I extend my hands out in front of me, grasping the control mechanism of this vehicle (steering wheel, joystick, whatever you like...). Once I have a firm grasp, I glance down, and see a blinking button, on which is written "Auto-Pilot". Keeping a firm grip with one hand, I reach down with the other, saying to myself "here I go.", and press the button. A display on the control panel indicates "Auto Pilot disengaged. Full manual control and navigation restored.". At this point, I gently pull back on the controls (as you would in an airplane), and my thought-vehicle gradually begins to ascend, leaving all other thoughts to race around the highways. Soon enough, no other "thoughts" are visible, and I'm free to "drive" anywhere I want.

Essentially, the mind is like a horse: better not to put it away wet. Your extra household junk doesn't just spontaneously appear in your storage unit, it must be packed up, prepared for, and brought to storage. So must our thoughts. With practice, we can all achieve this with lightning speed. As in my case, I rarely spend much time anymore observing my thoughts racing around on highways, or even go through the steps of taking the controls and disengaging the auto-pilot.

Great thread! See you all on the other side!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OmniVersal

hey you might not want to repeat the same word to yourself so much or you may end up brainwashing yourself accidently!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

I do appreciate the concern. However, at this point of the game, that's not really possible. Even if I repeated the word "fear" over and over, I wouldn't feel fear.

I've spent over a decade creating an impenetrable center. It's reached a point of no return. Even if I try, I cannot undo what I've done. Thank you for the concern though.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
As simple as this is, pure tenacity is the only thing that works for me. Having the discipline, mental fortitude, and physical fortitude to sit in one place with sweat dripping down your body and your muscles and joints aching and concentrate on nothing (or ONE thing rather) is simple tenacity. Eventually, everything fades away. I've managed to get pretty "deep" so far because of this. You just can't give up.

<< 1   >>

join