It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Meditation Technique for Uncontrollable Thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I've read that some are struggling with meditation. The whole 'stopping the mind' thing. I've had the same trouble.

I wanted to give a specific technique I have used. I'm also going to go back over some of my old stuff and put out some other forms of meditation I've worked out. But that may take a few days or so.

I invite everyone to post your own specific techniques, if you wish.

The technique can quickly and accurately be described as 'repetition'. If you can't seem to stop all the thoughts, then flood the mind to crowd the thoughts out. The twist is to do it with one word or thought. I prefer just one word. What I do is create a dense thought form associated with that word. I'll give an example.

Earth. I would use visualization to take in as much detail as mentally possible to associate with the word Earth. I would think about the planet as a whole, visualizing it. If you find visualization difficult, which I used to, then get a good picture of the planet and use it to help. Then I would add in the atmosphere, the magnetic field, and the gravity field. I would visualize the continents in as much detail as possible. Then add in around 7 billion people. Then millions of species of animals, plants, and insects. And each time, before I started the repetition, I would try to add in more detail. The forests, oceans, rivers, lakes, canyons, ice, and all that good stuff. Then I would add in cities and human created structures. Then going further I would picture individual leaves, grains of sand, drops of water. And finally I would try to crowd in the insane amount of atoms that occupy the space we commonly refer to as Earth. And just to top it off I would try to visualize it all in perpetual motion.

Then I would tell myself that all this is now associated with the thought form called Earth. When ever I say "Earth" this is the intensely dense conglomerate of billions of items of detail that are now that one single word.

Then I would forget it all. Start breathing exercises. And continuously repeat the word "Earth". Not thinking about all that stuff associated with it because I just gave all that to the subconscious to keep it busy. All I would do is repeat "Earth" over and over. If my other thoughts started coming back in I would just double my effort in keeping that one word in mind only. Now the conscious mind is busy.

This, of course, is not the end. It's a step that might help get past the point of uncontrollable thought.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This technique is similar to a mantra. Such as chanting one word repeatedly such as "Om."

The technique that I personally use is not to concentrate on a word or visualization, but a feeling. In order to clear my mind of all thoughts and have a blank canvas, I concentrate on the feeling of my breath as it goes in and out until all thoughts have cleared from my mind.

Of course, in meditation, there is no right and wrong. It is all a learning experience. Patience is key.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Practice focus exercises before trying meditation. It will help.

Get yourself a book and count every single word on the page. If you get sidetracked and lose focus, start over.

Count numbers in your head. Once again if you get sidetracked, start over.

The visualization and other stuff comes AFTER you obtain focus and toss the chatter.

The late Robert Monroe's technique is to write down stuff you need to do before laying down to practice medication or OBE or whatever it is you want to do. Wash the car, pay the bills, etc. Write all that down. Many people get distracted during meditation because they want to try to remember all the crap they have to get done.

Next, anything else that's bothering you... attach meaning of what's bothering you into a mental icon. If money, imagine coins. If family, imagine dolls representing each family member. If house, slap in a picture of a house.

Put all these mental symbols into a mental heavy wooden or metal chest. Toss all that stuff in there and mentally close the heavy lid, lock it if you choose and then mentally walk away from it.

Monroe usually directed people to imagine themselves on an empty beach with nothing to accompany you except the sound of the surf.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
This technique is similar to a mantra. Such as chanting one word repeatedly such as "Om."

Oh yea, I wasn't even thinking about that. Only thing I did was add in something for the subconscious to chew on.

Of course, in meditation, there is no right and wrong. It is all a learning experience. Patience is key.

Absolutely. I say be creative. Find something that fits you personally.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
What if you've successfully gotten to the point of a really good meditative state, and even gone OBE a few times, but now you're blocked every time by sharp stabbing head pains and bad pressure and screeching tones in the ear and what seems like invisible forces trying to jab you with sticks and pull your feet?

Uhhhhh just hypothetically, let's say....whattya do then????

Anybody?

Sorry... I guess it's a bit off topic.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
Sorry... I guess it's a bit off topic.

Nah, don't worry about it. Tell you what. I'll meditate on it and get back with you later. It's nighty nighty time for me.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OmniVersal

I realize you're probably brushing your teeth right now - but, when you get a chance - I have a couple questions

I'm trying to learn to meditate - for the zillionth time - which says a lot - I'm doing something wrong

maybe what I'm doing wrong is trying - and not just doing it

I can't learn how by reading I've found - and I don't know anyone in my personal life who either is meditating - or has ever meditated - so I'm kinda on my own

so - my main question is - what am I aiming for as far as reaching a meditative state?

I'm sure I'm over thinking it - but I can get into a great state in my mind when I'm working (art)

but I'm still unclear about how I know when I'm there - let alone learning how to get back when I veer off course

If you have any advice - that would be great

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

It sounds to me as if you are having expectations of a preconceived outcome for your meditation. As if you feel something should happen that is not happening.

I am sure I'm over thinking it

You hit your own nail on the head. Don't think about it, just do it. The main goal is to clear your mind and just be in the moment.

Clear your mind of the future and the past. Wherever it takes you is where it takes you.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
yes - and thanks - I know you're right

what I believe, or suspect - is that I've been meditating my whole life

but it's not when I'm sitting and meditating "on purpose"

I can hardly do anything in life when I try to do it on purpose - up to and including feeding myself

which is why the accepted process - that everyone accepts as meditating - sitting/breathing/unfocused focus - being in the moment - completely escapes me

guess I'm wondering - does it still count if it finds me when I'm working or walking, or whatever - but not actually trying?

I know it's not on a points system - you don't get a cookie for doing it right

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

You don't have to meditate in the traditional way that everyone tells you to. You can meditate anywhere. I completely understand what you mean about meditating everywhere you go. I find myself doing this alot too. Its mainly just whatever you think works for you. If you feel better meditating while your walking down the street, then go ahead.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I so appreciate that

it does happen wherever I go - just settles in on me

if that is what it is

mindfulness, like other stuff, happens

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

thats interesting i would like to know if christians could do it and stay faithful to christianity

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iesus_freak

Yes, you can meditate and stay faithful to Christianity. Meditation is practiced by all religions. Each religion seems to have their own way of doing it.
Here is a website for you on Christian Meditation called "Centering Prayer."

www.centeringprayer.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunwichwitch
What if you've successfully gotten to the point of a really good meditative state, and even gone OBE a few times, but now you're blocked every time by sharp stabbing head pains and bad pressure and screeching tones in the ear and what seems like invisible forces trying to jab you with sticks and pull your feet?

Uhhhhh just hypothetically, let's say....whattya do then????

I asked and opened a space for an answer. But I got nothing.

I do have my own perspective but it's completely unverified. I don't have the experience in OBE.

Here's my suggestion. Start your own thread to gain some additional visibility. I will post my unverified perspective there. And hopefully, someone with some experience can offer some advice.

If you don't want to start your own thread just let me know and I'll share my perspective here.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

so - my main question is - what am I aiming for as far as reaching a meditative state?

but I'm still unclear about how I know when I'm there - let alone learning how to get back when I veer off course

If you have any advice - that would be great

Mad_Hatter, is spot on. Thanks M_H. I'll see if I can add any thing else that might help.

Meditation is several things for me. The main one I can best describe as "communion".

Communion:
-- interchange or sharing of thoughts or emotions; intimate communication
-- the act of sharing, or holding in common; participation
-- the state of things so held

It's a state, for me, of calm beingness. A feeling of connectedness to everything around me. I could be in a Mosh Pit and be in this state of connected surrender. The world floods in and the separate self no longer feels boundaries to that illusion of separation.

In a sense, it's connecting to the infinite inside and outside. It doesn't have to be sitting, breathing, visualizing or any of that. You can walk through the mall and suddenly feel yourself disentegrate. Thoughts of your life suddenly drop to an importance level of zero. All there is is being. And if you're really in it you can actually feel the love start to shine through your eyes.

Your body automatically relaxes and you feel an unmistakable flow. A rhythm. A symphony of moving energy.

You stated your job is Art. Then I would guess that you might know this flow better than many others. It's the creative side of infinity. But not to exclude the rational structured side. They become one.

So yea, there is no right way to meditate. Anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances. And it often involves no effort whatsoever. In fact, that's often when the best state is achieved. Effort is by nature forcing something and can be an impediment. Some, like myself, have required effort to get to the point of non-effort. But once you feel it effort is no longer required.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iesus_freak

thats interesting i would like to know if christians could do it and stay faithful to christianity

Once again, Mad_Hatter is spot on. And gives a link to boot.

See if I can add anything that might help.

The essense of true christianity, to me, would seem to be meditation. The idea is communion with the Creator. My own definition of the Creator is different from the one taught by christianity. I see the Creator as the omnipresent substrate of existence. An infinite intelligent and creative force from which we all spring forth.

It's the surrender of the idea of separation of self with this omnipresent force. Being "born again" is the death of this idea of separation. From that death we become born again, born anew.

It's the straight gate and narrow way from the viewpoint of our current society. The seeking of self pleasure becomes a moot point because nothing can compare with the excruciating joy that comes from connecting with the infinite.

I don't see the drop dissolving back into the ocean. I see the ocean flowing unimpeded through the drop. That would achieve the maximum creative potential.

If the above goes too far then I would say just follow your heart. Feel the love of the Creator. And allow that love to flow through you without any regulating on your part.

Hope it helps.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
thank you - that actually helps me a lot

I do know what you're talking about

I think that's the way I experience meditation then

I have a definite sense of no longer feeling "me"

I'm aware, on some level - but not of me so much as - something - hard to explain

and it's a feeling that makes sense out of things for me

and it does happen most often when I'm lost in an activity - like painting - or walking

anyway - maybe this will take the pressure off when I actually sit and intend to meditate - performance anxiety was getting in the way

now that I see it's the same - might actually get there

the only reason it's important to me is I'd like to get to a point where it's a part of my day - every day - and not just happenstance

thanks again -

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
thank you - that actually helps me a lot

anyway - maybe this will take the pressure off when I actually sit and intend to meditate - performance anxiety was getting in the way

now that I see it's the same - might actually get there

the only reason it's important to me is I'd like to get to a point where it's a part of my day - every day - and not just happenstance

thanks again -

You're quite welcome. It might be the best thing for you, to simply forget about the accepted form of meditation. Maybe instead of trying to get to a thoughtless state through breathing and such you can just sit in a dark room and create art in your mind.

There are other people that have seen things and experienced things in meditation that I never have. Maybe I never will in this life. But I realized that trying to seek someone else's destination is just not the right way. We are each unique and I feel we should each seek our own unique creative pathway.

There's a book called "The Book of Secrets, By Osho". It lists 112 separate meditation techniques.

Here is what is said...

In the beginning of the Book of Secrets, Osho urges his audience to experiment with each of the meditation techniques he talks about, as they go along -- "just play with it for three days," he suggests. And he emphasizes the word "play" -- not to be serious, not to make "strenuous efforts" or "discipline yourself," but "play". And when you try a technique and find that it really "clicks" with you, a technique that you enjoy and seems to bring something new and fresh into your life, then you can explore it more deeply.

Of course you can also move straight into the book at any point, should a particular technique grab your attention and demand that you try it right away.

And finally, remember not to mistake the map for the destination. The Book of Secrets is not a series of answers, it's a set of keys. Osho promises at the very beginning that this set of keys is complete, not missing even one pattern for even a single door. The key to your own door is in here somewhere. All you have to do is try the keys, one after the other, until you find one that fits. Then open the door and see for yourself what lies within.

I always like taking things a step further. So I say find your own technique. Study other techniques if you wish. But examine yourself and find your own flow. Create your own key to unlock your own door of secrets.

"Let it flow - let yourself go
Slow and low - that is the tempo"
-- Beastie Boys » Slow And Low

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm going to sart my own thread, Omni... be on the lookout.

two line post, bowss.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Interesting thread, Omni.

Even more interesting is your choice in visualisation, personally, i found the blindingly bright and massive sun (trying to visualise the shifting patterns of flame, for example) to be a good way of acheiving the same goal, in a remarkably short amount of time.

Nothing stills my mind faster than something many billion times greater than i am.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join