It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get America motivated again?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Lets here it people...ive been putting up alot of articles recently refering to cuts w/ Nasa, and just a general over all blaza blah attitude w/ the American public about space travel, and its not just the general public...Its seems to be our government as well...What exactly can we do to get popping w/ space travel again? So i guess this is a brainstroming thread...would love to get your opinons on how we get back to the stars...thanks for listening

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A sense of wonder, yearning for exploration and discovery, hope and dreams for a new frontier and future.

Those can't be forced upon people. Fortunately, they are inherent to human nature, and can be nurtured.

There are currently two inspiring threads of change: increasing vicarious participation by the public, and unconstrained commercial endeavor.

The first is best exemplified by the success of the Mars rover program in the 90s. The public was enthralled -- Mars became up-close and personal, interactive. Dry theory and practice became real and exciting. How 'bout we make the NASA channel HD? Their cameras suck currently. Let's get some more images of awe-inspiring beauty, and give the public more of a sense that 'all this is happening, live, right now'.

Second is the currently nascent non-governmental efforts at space flight. The chaotic dynamics of private industry can lead to incredible advances, new frontiers of change and action, very quickly. The public seems to have given up on Kennedy's vision of a government-sponsored program for the future of space; we are far too realistically cynical now-a-days. Let's figure out how to make government help private space industry, instead of competing with it and regulating it into near-stagnation!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
How about we do something about the corporations sucking this planet dry of resources and souls, and then once the souls are back, and we don't have to fear accidentally releasing those abominably evil machinations we've become slaves to into space, let alone the threat of nuclear death and ecosystem collapse while barely keeping our families fed, then we'll give a flying #.

No offense, man. Just... look around you. Do you really wonder WHY people aren't motivated? For what?

Barack Obama faking excitement as he prances of the stage like an idiot mumbling like Bill Cosby in a Jello commercial about some vague change that won't happen?

When they can barely keep their families fed, and everyone is just sick and tired of this system... really they are. We'll go to space a little later, I promise.

I'm still very interested... it's just.... one baby step at a time here.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I truly believe the private sector is gonna be where we really excelarate ourselves...i truly believe the government is waiting for the private sector to make those advancements and then they will follow...dont know what do you think?

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Yep, good points.

[RANT]

It's easy to look at all the problems of the world and despair. Organized humanity has done much evil -- will we ever overcome? The struggle can seem insurmountable, the roots eternal. We should never let that dissuade us! If we curtail ourselves, confuse prudence with timidity, we do disservice to what is in fact undiminishable human capacity. We cannot let fear of failure, of 'spreading ourselves too thin', to cause us to huddle in paralysis from anything the world or universe has to offer.

Yes, we need to address the problems of the world. We are, and the only certainty will be change. AND we shall also constantly struggle towards the future, the frontier, in all directions with all energies. All chains are illusory or ephemeral -- we only give them reality or persistence by our acquiescence.

[/RANT]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

i couldnt agree anymore.....some very insightful stuff...now what about the private aspect of all this...does anyone else agree it probably wont be our government that does the future exploration rather our private sector?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
its this kind of response that totally scares me and tells me that the general public really does not have total interest in the stars anymore...such a shame...Americans stand up and speak your mind...not excluding other ppls opinons from other countries either though

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by skept!calSo i guess this is a brainstroming thread...would love to get your opinons on how we get back to the stars...thanks for listening

Good Day
Skept!cal

"get back to the stars" I must not have gotten the memo. When were we in the stars?

As for tax supported space programs; great, but let's fix the pot holes in our roads first, and see that there are no hungry children in America. Priorities....

Private enterprise space programs. Sounds like throwing money down a rat hole. How and what will pay the dividends to the investors?

The current space program is currently a black project, funded and run by the military. Sorry, you are not authorized to access that information...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
first off you know exactly what i was refering to...no need to be smug and coy about it...and where is your information that the space program is in black ops...you in the know?

(removed unneeded quote)

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
don't be so sensitive....

google is our friend....

www.garywright.com...
www.redpepper.org.uk...

you can start here...

[edit on 2-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

i remember reading one of your comments in a thread recently and you always do that...you take a passive aggressive stance, and then when someone calls you out for being as such you tell them that their being sensitive or their being silly...so just relax bro..were all here together...lets enjoy one another

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

oh and thank you whaa for the links interesting reads for sure

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by skept!cal
reply to post by whaaa

i remember reading one of your comments in a thread recently and you always do that...you take a passive aggressive stance, and then when someone calls you out for being as such you tell them that their being sensitive or their being silly...so just relax bro..were all here together...lets enjoy one another

Good Day
Skept!cal

S. you have an acute perception into my personality. I just thought I was being a smart ass and clever.
re: "lets enjoy one another" what did you have in mind?

Good Day indeed!
I'll try and watch it though...I don't mean to be mean spirited!

Peace
W

PS, Perhaps people would be motivated toward positive pursuit's if people had a little more hope and trust in the future. War and rumors of war doesn't make for a very creative environment.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with a lot of the above posts.

You cant instill things into people. As far as I can tell today, most people dont really care whats going on. I think most of it has to do with the war and gas prices, thats whats getting all the attention now, and for good reason, im not doubting that. Walking down the street, you could ask every person you pass, "Whats Cassini-Huygens doing lately?" or "Yeah, how about those new mars pictures" and people are going to look at you and be like, "Yeah dude.... Hey gas is like $4.25, sooooo I think im going to worry about that first..."

Now that I mention it, I wonder what Obama's views on space exploration are like...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

i did a thread a lil while back about how the presidents were actually planning yet more budget cuts to NASA...so unfortuanately i see no progress in the immediate future...but in another thread i made about private space industry i think thats where alot of our future endevaors will be met

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by skept!cal

Some of the stuff Scaled Composites is doing is really cool... here's a recent thread with links to pics and such:

SPY PICTURE: Exclusive first image of Virgin Galactic's White Knight II with wing fitted

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by skept!cal

If you want to get Americans motivated again, make it profitable, go through data, invent something to mine precious metals, or even better OIL or some type of fuel. There's bound to be a profit somewhere out there! Otherwise, sorry to say we won't be going again for sometime!

Fact is Americans aren't taking a back seat on this issue alone, we bow down to capitalism and if it don't make money, who cares? Our money is made in satellites for communtication, so that's what they concentrate on, it takes all their time. Oh yeh I can't forget the 80's and the Star Wars program! Good ol' Republicans! Good times,Good times!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Manned exploration is the only way to get people interested. Ultimately sending robots is a waste of time if we aren't going to send people there at some point. No time like the present, I say.

sty

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Langolier

robots are essential to prepare the habitat for the future colonists , so I guess we are doing fine. The only way I see you can motivate ppl is by changing the media that become the main way to spread wrong goals for your kids. My guess? more science documentaries , less vulgar stuff on TV - or at least a balance of them...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

wow! thats truly amazing looking...the future holds great things im think...but as i said before...i believe the advances will be met by private sector and not goverment sectors

Good Day
Skept!cal

ps. thanks again for that photo that thing is awesome

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join