It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy experts puzzled over oil prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Energy experts puzzled over oil prices

news.yahoo.com

MADRID, Spain - As crude soared to a new record, the head of the International Energy Agency declared that the world was in the grip of an "oil shock," and the president of OPEC acknowledged he could not say whether prices would flatten out or continue to soar.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The oil conspiracy continues, what a joke! the rich get richer -The poor get poorer

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Who needs weapons of mass destruction when you can force the oil price...?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well think about it this way, maybe on the long run they have set themselves up for failure. Now we are really looking into alternative fuels more than before. Sure they might be making a quick buck now but imagine 20 years from now… or 40 years? Do you think we will really be as reliant on petrol today as we will be in the future to come?What do you think?

Best Regards,
Richie

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The most important part of what he said was about oil production plateauing out in 10 years. That sure sounds like peak oil. He was also optimistic, so it may be less time.

Oil cost will do nothing but rise at that point. Simple supply and demand economics.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
But demand for oil hasn't risen. How could supply-side economics apply if the demand is flat and the production hasn't drastically changed?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think if you watch this video :

Arithmetic Population & Energy
By Dr. Albert A. Bartlett
Professor Emeritus
Department Of Physics
University of Colorado At Boulder

should answer your questions. Would be interesting to no if any mathematicians out there can follow his logic

www.youtube.com...

or search youtube for "The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See Part 1 of 8"

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seaman_Richie
Well think about it this way, maybe on the long run they have set themselves up for failure. Now we are really looking into alternative fuels more than before. Sure they might be making a quick buck now but imagine 20 years from now… or 40 years? Do you think we will really be as reliant on petrol today as we will be in the future to come?What do you think?

We said the same thing back in the 70's and look at us now, we import 40% more oil than we did back then.
Time to light a fire under you politicians

Politics: Poly to mean many, tic a blood sucking parasite.
Many blood sucking parasites .

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The most ridiculously infuriating part about all of this is the continual "pass the buck" nonsense that keeps taking place amongst all these greed-mongers..."It's not OPEC..."It's not Exxon, Shell or Chevron"..."It's not the speculators"..."It's not the Saudis"...It's not the fed policies, crumbling the dollar." All of these vampires keep draining the last bit of blood out of this nation and keep blaming someone else, and the circle jerk of extortion just keeps chugging right along. Meanwhile people are being burried and suffering while these guys are all cashing in their lottery tickets.

Disgusting.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
dbl post-sorry

[edit on 2-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
So, Bush gets us into war for oil, and the exact opposite of what was planned is now taking place.

Gaining control of Iraq's oil was supposed to help us, but what it really did was cripple us even more. So America made a mistake!

All I have to say, is that the drivers of America need to pull over and take a walk! We need a new chauffeur!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
But demand for oil hasn't risen. How could supply-side economics apply if the demand is flat and the production hasn't drastically changed?

Where did you get this idea? Have you herd of China or India? Not to mention the growth here in the USA or in Europe?

World oil demand is slowing down, at least for the moment. Record high prices have dented consumption.

The International Energy Agency, the IEA said demand will rise at its slowest pace in six years during 2008. In its monthly report, the IEA said global oil consumption will now increase by 800,000 barrels per day, that’s 230,000 barrels less than its previous forecast. link

800,000 barrels A DAY! that is close to 300,000,000 barrels a year mate, there is NOTHING flat about that.

Edit to add some context:

Saudi Arabian King Abdullah and the country's petroleum minister Ali I. Al-Naimi...have announced an increase in production from 9 mmbpd to 9.7 mmbpd effective July.

So one of the worlds largest producers of oil is producing only about 1/12th of the daily INCREASE in demand.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seaman_Richie

We where down to outright shortages and rationing in the 70's. What become of that? We got the K car and smaller trucks!

If the price drops down again, Alt energy vehicles will just become another fad. Americans loose focus SO QUICKLY!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The Al Barlett video is available, unedited, at he following;

globalpublicmedia.com...

I notice that since the original reference to Al Bartlett above, no further reference was made in subsequent replies.

I feel sure many ATS users will find its content both informative and useful, not only in this particular thread but possibly in other ATS topics.

A new thread dedicated to the above Al Bartlett video Arithmetic, Population and Energy, would in my eyes be another book in the ATS library.

Having viewed the video first, I came to the ATS site to read others opinions about it and was surprised to find little reference to it - assuming I've used the site correctly that is. My advance apologies if this is the case.

I look forward to returning here in the coming days and weeks to read other ATS users thoughts.

top topics

join