It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI something just doesn't add up!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Who funds SETI? who is in charge of this so called search?

edit: quick google gave me the answer I rest my case

Back in the day, SETI had serious backing from one of HP's early employees - Bernard Oliver. Over the years, the organization has received funds from such Silicon Valley institutions as NASA Ames, HP, Sun Microsystems, and the Gordon and Betty Moore foundation. Microsoft co-founder and space buff Paul Allen is also a major SETI backer.

It appears that this isn't a new conspiracy, how people can defend the people that have lied to us for so long is just bewildering it really is

[edit on 2-7-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
SETI is an effort to locate evidence of extraterrestrial intelligent life using 20th century communication technology. How likely is that?

The principles of radio propagation theory may not even apply to their form of communication, which may be quantum in nature, or even trans-dimensional, if such is a real possibility.

It is an effort which legitimizes the question "Is there intelligent life beyond us?"

As for whether such a question is currently moot, is debated seemingly everywhere. I would have to add my voice to say that something is out there. But beyond that, we suffer from the lack of controlled formal and transparent methodologies to collate analyze and report otherwise anomalous phenomena occurring within humanities perceived experiences.

Skeptics and debunkers are usually (in some cases maddeningly) correct when they point out that the evidence available for sharing amongst the interested is lacking in quality. But beyond that they are more each day clinging to an antiquated and increasingly irrelevant objection to common human experiences reflected in history and ongoing since the time when cave drawings became records of the world we see around us.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
One of my favorite quotes: "Searching the cosmos for radio signals is as culturally arrogant as searching the cosmos for a good Italian restaurant." Can't remember who came up with that gem, but I read it a few years ago. Was it Friedman?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I was reading about a debate earlier that took place in 2004 on ATS between a member of ATS and a representative from SETI, I had to laugh because it sounded so formal yet they were slowly chipping away at each other.

After googling SETI pretty much all day I have confirmed my suspicion that there is much more than meets the eye. I am not saying that every member of SETI is conspiring against the general public but... The powers that be are and looking at SETI's sponsors something definately is fishy. We shall never know until disclosure but by that time its to late and it will quickly get forgotten. I myself won't take part in any charade by downloading SETI@HOME and I advise others not to. Even though the majority of SETI may be the pawns there are alot of underhand people in this world, wherever there is money there is corruption, no matter what anyone says.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Another way of looking at it is SETI is analog and UFOs are digital. There is a book "Out There" by Howard Blum which opens by one of his informants talking about the NORAD and other agencies picking up all kinds of signals from space.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree
a quick search on the internet will bring up countless of footage showing UFO'S in space so why hasn't SETI done its job and picked up the faintest of signals?

Because everything posted on the internet is 100% accurate? Dude ...

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Human technology is quite advanced. We can do many many many many many things, BUT no one wants to. Everyone just wants to sit around and wait for NASA and SETI, which are just fronts. So the question is.....What do we do?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
SETI i just a cover up so it looks like were serching for UFO's when The government know they exist so no one starts questioning everything...... like us

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

How do you search for sometihng that is not known to you? What I mean by that is.... suppose, just suppose for the sake of arguement, that the UFO phenomenon is a transdimensional thing. What mechanism would one employ to "look" for such things within the scope of electromagnetic spectrum?

The problem with SETI is that it is slow, limited by lightspeed technology, which is regrettably the best that's available to us at the moment. Our relative "neighbors" in the galaxy might be 10 light-years away.... that's 10 there IF they're listening, 10 back.... and all with the extreme fortune of having the coordinates perfectly to receive the signal in the first place. It's not looking for a needle in a haystack, it's looking for a needle in an infinite array of haystacks. Thus, I believe SETI is our best bet for detecting signals indicative of intelligent life, and I think that those who assist with their own computers are doing a service. If/when EBEs land on Earth or make a public display/ direct communication, then we'll hopefully as a people have more information.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
SETI and NASA are both fronts.
SETI is there so everyone thinks we haven't yet discovered ET's.
That is it's main purpose.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by ET_CONTACT]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ET_CONTACT

"SETI and NASA are both fronts.
SETI is there so everyone thinks we haven't yet discovered ET's.
That is it's main purpose"

Okay, glad you spoke up. Boy, do I feel stupid. I've just wasted hours and hours for the past 4 years with my efforts. If only someone had told me sooner.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Does anyone remember recently when someone at SETI made news when he decided to launch this expensive project to detect for television signals from space? Give me a break. I bet television is considered a scourge amongst other civilizations, this is unending.

Unless someone else actually bothers to develop graviton detectors (or other more realistic sources of transglactic or dimensional communication) that can be functionally used to scan our skies and surrounding environs, we won't find crap.

This is a personification of the Earth-centric mentality that everyone must be like us. Can anyone confirm that a plutonium based lifeform could never exist? I doubt one could exist, but you can never fully debunk until you have all the information.

Why doesn't SETI start looking for galactic billboard advertisments? If we are consumed by consumerism, everyone else must be as well, right?

Sure. It's no wonder we aren't part of a larger galactic or dimensional cooperative. A finite search perameter is infinitely smaller than an infinite number of possibilities. SETI will never find anything concrete. Wait and see.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by GideonHM]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What good is a metal detector if you're searching for a piece of plastic?

What it comes down to is that the likelihood that UFOs communicate using methods and means not known to us is quite high. In fact, there is some evidence to suggest that their communication is some form of "mind energy" or ESP type of system. David Adair was a former rocket engineer who was reportedly granted access to alien propulsion systems at Area 51 in the 70s, and he concluded that the firing systems were controlled completely by the thoughts of the pilot. For more information about that, there's a 5-part video series on YouTube about him. Some of you may have seen it.

Anyway... I think we're wasting our time listening for radio waves from UFOs.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by paradigm619]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

ummmmmm..... they're not looking for radio STATION signals. Perhaps I misunderstood your statement, and if so, I apologize. What they are looking for are radio waves/signals..... as in emanated from either naturally occurring phenomenon in the cosmos, or from an intelligence. The nature of the signal demonstrates the difference between the two.... i.e. is it noise or a message?

I'm pretty certain if someone would build a gravitron detector or interdimensional anti-quark single sideband, it'd get used. It's a matter of using what you know until you know more. It's just that simple.

p.s. I doubt SETI will ever find the definative signal either. I don't see the harm in looking though, and I'm more than willing to participate. At least it's doing SOMEthing. I have really dropped off my participation in the last year, and I consider it equally likely for me to see and film a UFO while stargazing. SETI is looking for signs of whole civilizations emanting from a fixed point.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I never mentioned radio. I said television signals, it was a new expensive project through SETI. Very ignorant of them if you ask me. I actually emailed the lead researcher and never got a reply. Oh well, I wouldn't expect him to see it other than his way anyways.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here is the email I sent.

Mr. David Aguilar,

My name is G.H.S., and I have just read the CNN.com article describing your future project to search for extra-terrestrial life by scanning for mundane earth-like televison signals. Now, I understand that you are a professional, and I am only currently a college student, however I strongly believe that this search will reveal nothing more than SETI ever has. My reasonings are thus: First, an extremely large assumption is being made that extra-terrestrial life utilizes similar technology to humans, and there is no way to know if these civilizations even developed in a television-centric environment (you are assuming that TV is a natural technological development, it is not). Next you are assuming that extra-terrestrial civilizations are as under-developed as we are. Why waste valuable research funds searching for TV and radio signals, when you can't possibly know if anyone else in the universe even uses such ineffective and obvious technology? By trying to advance our abilities to detect and develop new types of communications (such as graviton wave detection technologies), you will stand a far better chance of identifying interstellar communications (some possibly originating on Earth). Even if you find potential in what I am saying, there are many stumbling blocks in pursuing alternate methods of extra-terrestrial identification.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Let me throw my two cents in...First off I think the OP may be on to something here. Second in reply to a post that said the aliens are letting us photgraph them but are keeping radio silence they would have to be ignorant, what if that is their sole purpose to be seen but not heard because all of you or at least most of you think there are several distinctly different alen races, but what if the bad races are the fallen ones disguised as these gray beings, and the ones that look like us & help us from time to time are really angels...but then that doesn't make sense either, because good angels wouldn't say they are an alien race, so that leaves me at the original theory...that the aliens be they good or bad are ALL fallen angels wanting to interact with humans to perpetrate the great deception-> that they are our creators and that the bad aliens are a bad tribe of well aliens.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

This message is in response to your question concerning: UFO's and SETI.
1. No, SETI has not recieved any transmissions from Extra-Terrestrials. They are limited to detecting only electromagnetic signals; such as, radio, microwave, x-ray, ext.
Any advanced life-forms with the capability of interstellar and/or intergalactic travel would communicate through a medium at the quantum level. They would be able to manipulate quarks (which make up subatomic particles) that would allow for instantaneous communication over any distance in space. Radio waves have a time delay and are seceptible to interference and weaken over long distances. Why have the scientists at SETI not figured this one out? Beats me!
If this sounds far fetched, read: "http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811785.stm". You'll discover that 'human' scientists in Europe have already succeeded in sending information via teleportation using entangled quarks and yet we humans are hundreds of years from intersteller travel.
2. SETI is not involved in covering up UFO evidence like our governments do. The U.S. government has halted funding for the SETI project several times in the past, forcing Universities to lobby for more money to continue their pointless research. It hasn't all been in vain however, SETI scientists did discover the existence of huge stars called "pulsars", which they had initially mistaken as an Extra-Terrestrial signal.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Can you pick up GSM cellular phone signal with morse code?

Sorry for 1 liner.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think some ETs followed a technology evolution curve like ours. That being said, they would have found the Radio Frequency spectrum and moved on. Have they forgot the RF spectrum. I don't think so as long as they are 1k to 10k (our years) older. wag (wild as* guess) on my part.

AV

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join