Genesis and Enuma Elish creation myth comparisons

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The Enuma Elish ( Summerian Epic of Creation ) and the Genesis seem to have some similarities with eachother.
This has been in the back of my mind for weeks, so I decided to let it out.

I hope this is taken seriously.

www.meta-religion.com...

One of the two Bible creation myths was probably derived from the much older Mesopotamian creation myth "Enuma Elish".

The six days of creation in the Genesis myth parallel the six generations of gods in the Enuma Elish myth in type of god in Enuma Elish that is created (i.e. god of the earth) to what is created or happens on the corresponding day in Genesis (i.e. the waters are gathered together to expose dry land).

Marduk the sixth generation god makes man as a slave so the other gods can rest.

God (Elohim) makes man on the sixth day and he himself rests.

The Enuma Elish six generations of gods:

web2.iadfw.net...

www.hope.edu...

www.theologywebsite.com...

Introduction to the Enuma Elish

Enuma elish, "when the skies above. . .", is one of the oldest written creation myths in existence. This Babylonian creation myth was found on seven tablets in the library of Assyrian emperor Ashubanipal (667 - 626 BC) in Ninevah. The Enuma Elish tells the tale of the creation of the universe, and of man himself. Often compared to the biblical creation account in Genesis, the earliest tablets date from around 2000 b.c., although scholars feel that it was an ancient oral tradition before then.

The Enuma Elish is often compared to the creation account in Genesis. For example, the Babylonian god finished his work within the span of 6 tablets of stone and Genesis reports six days of creation. In the Enuma, the last and 7th stone exalted the handiwork and greatness of the diety's work while Genesis reports the seventh day as Rest of God. Mankind formed on tablet 6 of the Enuma Elish and Adam and Eve are formed on day 6 in the Genesis account. Other similarities include the following: Earth and sky are formed on tablet four in Enuma Elish and earth and sky separated on day two of Genesis account; The sun and moon and stars are created in the sky to mark seasons on tablet 5 of Enuma Elish and on day four of Genesis account.

Also, this seems very similar to the Greek account of creation of man.

www.keyway.ca...

"And The Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living being." (Genesis 2:7).

The Greek account,

edweb.sdsu.edu...

Prometheus and Epimetheus were spared imprisonment in Tatarus because they had not fought with their fellow Titans during the war with the Olympians. They were given the task of creating man. Prometheus shaped man out of mud, and Athena breathed life into his clay figure.

Well anyways, happy reading

Deep

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That is a great possibility Zero.

Who wrote the Pentauch?

Moses did....
Where did he get the info from?
Two places,
1 he was a prince of Egypt, so had a good education, part of that would have been the babylonian stories, as they were known in Egypt. So Moses would have been aware of them and been knowledgeable about them.

2 he hung out with *** (forget name) in the Sinai, for about 50 (?) years. The tribe he was with were original hebrews. - carrying on the ancient knowledge and ways. He used his wisdom when he led the isrealites out during the Exodus. The israelites has lost their oral histories and were contaminated with the Egyptian culture.

So with the knowledge from *** and his past learning about the history of the world, he wrote the first 5 books as a way to reteach the people their history and roots.

So it makes sence, that there are similarities between the jewish and babylonian stories.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The Enuma Elish ( Summerian Epic of Creation ) and the Genesis seem to have some similarities with eachother.
This has been in the back of my mind for weeks, so I decided to let it out.

I believe genesis creation to be truth not a myth.
The fact that other storys similar existed in other cultures backs up the bible.

www.answersingenesis,org

I should really stop advertising that site but its got really good informatin on it.

Most cultures around the world have the story of a worldwide flood. that supports noah.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I remmeber he guys name - jethro (I knew it was some muscian or other).

As I said above, Yes they have the same root as the person who wrote the fisrt 5 books also knew the flood stories....

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I believe genesis creation to be truth not a myth.
The fact that other storys similar existed in other cultures backs up the bible.

www.answersingenesis,org

I should really stop advertising that site but its got really good informatin on it.

Most cultures around the world have the story of a worldwide flood. that supports noah.

You mean to say, previous scriptures prove that the Bible was written as a collective book of knowledge, fiction and an overall tool of control.

Im not sure if other cultures worlwide have accumulated flood stories during the time of Noah's flood. Links?

Im sure some University courses could clear up all these answers for me ( Dropped Business, heading into Theology/Philosophy
)

Deeo

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Im not sure if other cultures worlwide have accumulated flood stories during the time of Noah's flood. Links?

Im sure some University courses could clear up all these answers for me ( Dropped Business, heading into Theology/Philosophy
)
Deeo

He was right about the flood accounts. Almost every ancient civilization has some account of a flood. Here is a Table comparing the similarities and differences between the stories:
www.nwcreation.net...
H.S. Bellamy in Moons, Myths and Men estimates that altogether there are over 500 Flood legends worldwide. Ancient civilizations such as (China, Babylonia, Wales, Russia, India, America, Hawaii, Scandinavia, Sumatra, Peru, and Polynesia) all have their own versions of a giant flood
www.nwcreation.net...

The same is true about the various accounts of Creation throughout the world. I think that they are so similar because truth is truth and regardless of who wrote it or how the details differ, the truth will always shine through. I think that the Biblical account proves the validity of the Sumerian, Hopi, etc. stories just as much as they each prove the validity of the Biblical story.

new topics

top topics

join