It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: Reduce CO2 Or Don't Build Coal Plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Judge: Reduce CO2 Or Don't Build Coal Plant

www.enn.com

In a ruling believed to be unprecedented, a Georgia judge halted the construction of Dynegy's Longleaf coal-fired power plant because it had not made provisions for reducing its emissions of carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas most widely implicated in man-made global warming.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I am sure this is going to piss off many members I am not one of them.

I know that we must limit our emissions for one reason or another. even if you doubt the connection between CO2 and Climate Change you still must recognize the impacts of our emissions. Coal is without a doubt an incredibly dirty fuel and its emission should be dramatically reduced, if not eliminated all together.

www.enn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

When your lights go out, because all you tree huggers refused to compromise, please do not come and whine to the rest of us.

I will be cutting down trees to stay warm.

P.S. Destroying our energy infrastructure by forcing out any new energy plants and blocking drilling, has done NOTHING to make the changes you all said were going to be forced. (like ten years ago. wait, twelve.) Instead, our gas prices and other fuels have just gone up. You cannot MAKE technology just happen, much less build it's own infrastructure. Your no compromise solution leaves us all in the dark eventually.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I would say the same to those who are preventing the alternative from flourishing...When the lights go out or your food costs 12Xs more than today do not cry because of those who stood in the way of change (think progress).

I will be eating food produced by my local CSA and in my back yard, I will be rising my bicycle or my electric car to the local pub for some nice cold fresh brewed beers.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
As of right now there is just nothing ready that can take the place of coal on the same level. Yea solar is available but its just not cost efficient to implement it now on the same level as coal. While coal is a "dirty" fuel, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the emissions...it just relies on whether the company does it or not. I used to work for Southern Company and at our plant we were looking at ways to reduce emissions even further than what we had recently done. They are one of the big polluters, but they are also looking into reducing emissions at each plant.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KidOK

The article stated that the refusal for a new plant was based on the company not lowering its present emissions. I am all for responsible practices such as those that you are talking about. IF a company can use coal efficiently it should, and trying to make excuses for why it shouldn't should lead to repercussions, not a blind eye.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
one thing i dont understand is why dont people use solar panels instead of tiles? even if this method cant produce all the energy needs for a home 24 hours a day its going to cut an awful amount of CO2 gases.

governments want to build these big stupid solar and wind farms, yet every home (some areas excluded for obvious reasons) could be self sustaining if big business would stop trying to put us all over the metaphoric barrel.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

I have a friend who works for a solar company here in New Mexico. He was telling me business is bad this year because of the availability of Silicon. He says that Solar companies have to compete with computer companies and all others who also use silicon so production is based on what they can actually purchase.

Another reason given for shortages was the fact that many companies in other countries (china) are not selling to the USA anymore because of the dollar. He said he had many broken contracts even where companies promised panels for the USA but will not send them as they now prefer Euro markets.

But you are right, we should be looking at the alternatives rather than remaining mired in the past.

new topics

top topics

join