It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abrams: Texas jury OKs shooting burglars in the back?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Abrams: Texas jury OKs shooting burglars in the back?

rawstory.com

Last year, a Houston-area man shot and killed two burglars he saw breaking into his neighbor's house, even after a 911 dispatcher warned him repeatedly against going outside with his shotgun.

Texas had recently passed a law allowing people to use deadly force to protect their own property, as Joe Horn was well aware, but it was unclear at the time whether the law would apply to protecting someone else's property. However, this Monday, a grand jury cleared Horn of any criminal liability.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Texas has always been pro-gun and protecting ones property. So in Texas if the NWO knocks on my door, I have the right to shoot to kill? This is interesting.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Shameful. Killing over robbery? Shooting people in the back justified? Something about this does not seem very legitimate to me.

"Deadly force" to protect your property seems like a very slippery and dangerous slope.

Shooting someone for stealing my old broken down hibachi grill? What the hell is wrong with people today?

This to me is a perfect example of why state sovereignty should be trumped by the federal government.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
the true story has been stretched so far as to be paper thin. I previously did not think it possible to misconstrue and obfuscate facts to such a degree. Abrams is, for lack of a better word, silly.

Horn went outside when he noticed some people burglarizing a neighbors home. This neighbor had asked him to keep an eye on the property (as is a long standing Texas custom), and he did just that.

So he heads outside with a shotgun and says something to them. They begin walking his way, so he points the gun at them and tells them to "don't move or i will shoot you." It was dark so he didn't have the best view, and all he noticed was that they both made sudden movements. So he pulled the trigger.

It happens that they were turning to run. But they made two fatal mistakes:

1. they were robbing a home. in texas. man, we will shoot you for that down here. in a heartbeat.

2. when he told them to "freeze", they didn't.

I guess that number 2 leads to a third mistake: they were here illegally. possibly they did not understand him.

The Universal Law of Consequences has rendered judgement.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The Universal Law of Consequences has rendered judgement.

No, some human with a gun and the propensity to KILL rendered their judgment. I guess in Texas a gun gives you the right to CHOOSE who lives and dies.

I stand by my previous statement that the Feral Government should come down on laws such as this like a ton of bricks.

Guns are for hunting and protecting ones life NOT ones Nintendo and stereo. Validating such behavior is barbaric.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Let the lesson be known....if you take it upon yourself to break into another mans home for WHATEVER purpose...do not complain when you come out toting a face full of 00 Buck.

Joe Horn did what any man with half a pair would do if he thought his neighbors lives or property were in danger.

Yeah it's a shame somebody got killed, but those two career criminals don't have anyone in the entire world to blame for their fate except themselves.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Instead of trying to pour a bunch of emotional nonsense into this issue in an effort to protect criminals, maybe the moral that should be taken away from this is simply "Don't steal someone else's belongings." Seems pretty cut and dried to me but, then again, I'm not into burglarizing people's homes. If someone is perfectly fine with a crook entering their property and robbing from them, then that's their call. I won't attempt to tell you how to protect yourself, your estate, or your family... in exchange I request that you do the same. My belongings and the fact that I busted my ass to get them are worth more to me than the life of some piece of crap that feels entitled to take them because they've had a hard life. I tip my hat to Texas and to the man who brought this judgement about for doing two things:
1. Saving the taxpayer from the burden of housing a couple lowlifes while they serve a sentence that neither rehabillitates them nor tangibly penalizes them for their crime.
2. Making the next ass that thinks they have a right to rob someone and steal their hard earned possessions think twice about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
Guns are for hunting and protecting ones life NOT ones Nintendo and stereo. Validating such behavior is barbaric.

Then call me Conan because I'd do the exact same thing without batting an eye. How dare anyone feel entitled to steal the product of the sweat from another man's brow? The legal system has proven itself incapable of protecting us from the vermin that lives amongst us. The responsiblity resides right here, on the shoulders of every honest man and woman in this country to stand up and say "No more!" and actually do something about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

There are two threads detailing and discussing this incident in Breaking News.

It isn't a case of someone knocking on a door and getting shot.

Texas had recently passed a law allowing people to use deadly force to protect their own property, as Joe Horn was well aware, but it was unclear at the time whether the law would apply to protecting someone else's property. However, this Monday, a grand jury cleared Horn of any criminal liability.

The Texas law details third party property.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Shameful. Killing over robbery? Shooting people in the back justified? Something about this does not seem very legitimate to me.

"Deadly force" to protect your property seems like a very slippery and dangerous slope.

Shooting someone for stealing my old broken down hibachi grill? What the hell is wrong with people today?

This to me is a perfect example of why state sovereignty should be trumped by the federal government.

Since I know you won't shoot me, can I have your address? I'd like to come to your house and take everything you own since you won't be defending it.

I won't hurt anyone, I just want your stuff.

Address please?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Umm....he was protecting his life. You do realize that a lot of robberies begin simply as theft but then turn life threatening because the criminals get scared or are just crazy right? You do realize a lot of criminals carry guns when robbing a home right? It was dark and the guy feared for his life. How is he supposed to know if they are going to try and kill him? He did the right thing. I feel no simpathy towards the criminals.

Another note: It was NOT proven they were shot in the back due to the fact they were shot with a shotgun. The nature of the blast makes it very difficult to determine the entrance and exit wounds.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
To those of you whining candyasses who feel bad for the dead criminals:

Man up nancy.

Dead criminals makes the world a better place for everyone.

Dead illegal alien criminals is just icing on the cake.

If everyone had the mindset of the shooter, we would all be better off.

And yes, my 72" TV is worth exponentially more than the lives of 2 criminal scumbags.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Life can be pretty barbaric at times.

Burglary and stealing stuff is not a game.
It's darned serious and if you want to get involved with stealing stuff, be prepared to pay the consequences.

I suspect that some of the liberal leaning folks will have a change of heart when their homes are illegally entered and valuable things are taken.

Valuable doesn't have to be gold or jewels, simply valuable to you passes the test far as I'm concerned.

Of course, liberals don't seem to be too concerned if a neighbor like Mr. Horn would have been the one to die during the commission of the crime.

Simple truth is, you have to be prepared to take care of yourself.

If enough people did fight back where the bad guys are concerned the world would be a nicer place to live.

Did I mention I love Texas?

Good for Mr. Horn.
I'm not a Texan, but I admire what he did.
Standing up for your rights and defending your home or your neighbors home is a long standing Texas tradition.

States that don't allow their citizens to defend themselves are sad places where the people are nothing more than pawns to the political system....

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I tried looking through it to make sure it wasn't posted but couldn't find it. If you could point it out to me, that would be helpful.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I know you're only joking, but Animal seems to be laboring under the very misguided assumption that the police would protect his property from people who really do feel that way.

Earth to Animal:

The police try to investigate crimes that have already happened, they don't prevent them - in spite of the "serve and protect" stickers they always have on their cars.

So, if you don't want to ever end up as a crime victim, you will have to take care of it on your own.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You guys are talking about KILLING as if it is the ONLY recourse. I highly doubt any of you is so simple as to assume that KILLING someone is the only way of protecting your home. And if you do, I feel sorry for you.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here is a thread that I had going on the subject...with a slightly different slant.

Don't mess with Texas

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

You guys are talking about KILLING as if it is the ONLY recourse. I highly doubt any of you is so simple as to assume that KILLING someone is the only way of protecting your home. And if you do, I feel sorry for you.

Let me guess....

You think we should run out the house screaming like a bunch of little girls and wait for the police to show up right?

Or would you suggest just maiming them with a shotgun blast to the kneecap so that they can sue you afterwards?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Imagine how many lives these career criminals have ruined in the past, imagine how many more lives they would have ruined in the future if Horn hadn't of stopped them. At the risk of backlash I'd say these two guys deserved what they got, I wish we could get rid of all the scum on the earth like that, and make society safer to live in.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

OK. So, what's the other recourse when you find an unknown person with unknown weapons in your home? Surely, you aren't planning on asking the perps to sit down and sing "Kum by ya", do you?

[edit on 7/1/2008 by centurion1211]

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join