It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, XP. Hello, Midori

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Yes you can play pc games on Linux distros. Apparently you haven't even done a google search for pc games in linux cuz you would have came across Wine. The premier emulator for running 3d games on linux based Os's. Check it out "Anon" you might like it. And before you speak out, you might wanna do a search or two.

Silver

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

Which is buggy, doesn't work with all games and you need to constantly look for work arounds or extra plug-ins/3rd party apps to get games to work.

Windows=Works.
Linux=Hard Work without guarantee of success.

I'd rather run my games on a machine with an OS which the game has been tested to run on and works as expected, rather than spend hours/weeks trying to tweak an open-source OS to get just some of my £2000 worth of games to work.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Okay, this whole argument of "Linux can't run Windows games" is a load of garbage.

Mac can't run Windows games.
Windows can't run Mac games.
Mac can't run Linux games.
Windows can't run Linux games.

... but LINUX CAN RUN BOTH MAC AND WINDOWS GAMES!

Name another operating system capable of that.

Linux also has a huge list of free games of it's own. You really don't need PC games, Linux has its own collection.
But in the circumstance that you want to run a windows or mac game on Linux... YOU CAN. You can't say the same for other OS's.

As for this stupid "I don't want to learn an OS."
When was the last time you used Linux? 1995?!
Once upon a time, Linux was hard to use. A LONG TIME AGO.
Seriously, I've found that Ubuntu is EASIER to use than Windows.
Especially when you want to do something thats not typical.

All I've heard so far is the propaganda that Microsoft spews to make you think Linux is hard to use, or simply not useful. Those are lies. Microsoft has to make a profit, and Linux is destroying that profit for them.

Linux is free, has WAY more programmers working on it than Microsoft could ever hope to afford to employ, and it's stable.
I know Microsoft tells you Windows is stable... but when you actually USE a stable operating system, you'll know what stable really means.

Ask yourself this. When was the last time your Windows machine locked up completely and needed restarting, restarted itself, needed to be defragged, needed to be cleaned of viruses, adware, spyware, trojans, or simply slowed down to a crawl?

That doesn't happen on Ubuntu. That simple. You can spew the propaganda Microsoft has fed you all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Windows based OS's simply fail you.
And you have to pay for those failures.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Okay, this whole argument of "Linux can't run Windows games" is a load of garbage.

Mac can't run Windows games.
Windows can't run Mac games.
Mac can't run Linux games.
Windows can't run Linux games.

... but LINUX CAN RUN BOTH MAC AND WINDOWS GAMES!

Linux also has a huge list of free games of it's own. You really don't need PC games, Linux has its own collection.
But in the circumstance that you want to run a windows or mac game on Linux... YOU CAN. You can't say the same for other OS's.

All I've heard so far is the propaganda that Microsoft spews to make you think Linux is hard to use, or simply not useful. Those are lies. Microsoft has to make a profit, and Linux is destroying that profit for them.

Linux is free, has WAY more programmers working on it than Microsoft could ever hope to afford to employ, and it's stable.
I know Microsoft tells you Windows is stable... but when you actually USE a stable operating system, you'll know what stable really means.

Ask yourself this. When was the last time your Windows machine locked up completely and needed restarting, restarted itself, needed to be defragged, needed to be cleaned of viruses, adware, spyware, trojans, or simply slowed down to a crawl?

That doesn't happen on Ubuntu. That simple. You can spew the propaganda Microsoft has fed you all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Windows based OS's simply fail you.
And you have to pay for those failures.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by johnsky]

Exactly. The way I see it is.. If Microsoft allowed its user base access to its source and welcomed additions and such like an open source environment - patches, bug fixes, giving the community say in the matter in a sense. how Linux and its community is, it would be quite different. Open source software is needed for successful, and importantly secure, stable products. It ensures faster responses to problems and id rather have 100,000 people working on a project then 5000.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by deadline527]

[edit on 3-7-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
[edit on 4-7-2008 by MarioJP]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I think you missed my point......

I couldn't care less. I just want to use my pc to play my games.

WHAT? No freaking way is that a convincing argument.... Jeebus... Don't need PC games? So your telling me that I should forget Rome:Total War, Football Manager, Medieval Total War, or one of the many shooters I play just because you hate MS?

I beg to differ. Some games will work. Others require fiddling. Many do not work at all.

2004. It was utter #e. If you actually read my post from earlier, you'd know that it wasn't 1995, as I stated the only game I could get to work was UT2003. The rest failed miserably and I am an experienced user. I just could not be doing with the constant buggering about trying to get things to work when on Windows they WILL work.

Thats the thing, I don't want to do something thats not typical. I want to play the latest and best games easily without dicking around. I don't go to bed at night touching myself happily because I can do weird geeky things with my OS. I just want it to do what it is supposed to without me having to fudge with it.

Ah, yes. Linux is just crushing Windows with it's might. I hadn't noticed that at all. That's why Millions and Millions of people use Linux and only a few use Windows....

My Windows Vista is fine. Haven't had a single issue. Can't really get more stable than not being broken, can you? Linux on the other hand was clunky and unwieldy.

My Vista machine? Never, aside from defragging, which I do once in a blue moon as it is. I'm also not a complete tit, so I don't suffer from virii or adware etc. Only idiots suffer from them.

That doesn't happen on Ubuntu.

You know the answer to that, don't you?

It's because hardly any bugger in the world uses it, so there is no one writing the virii or spy ware that plagues windows as what is the point?

I guarantee that if users for linux were even close to that of Windows, then the amount of virri and other malware would increase one hundred fold.

It would be worthwhile to write such programmes then and you would have one less leg to stand on with regards to your "Linux is cool" argument.

Bottom line is, if Linux was as easy and great as you point out, more people would use it. I know numbers are up, but in comparison to Windows, they are negligible. I and my friends are well versed in computer technology, but we cannot be doing with the fudging around that is required by Linux. It is far easier to use Windows.

Using the car analogy someone used earlier, I would rather have a car that has it bonnet welded shut but does exactly what it is supposed to, than a car I can access the engine but doesn't do what I want it to do without knowing how the engine works.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Free Games?? lol Please don't start with Linux with free games. Those are not my kind of games. I rather prefer to play Games like crysis or bioshock or even assassin creed. These games will never be free. And fact the gaming industry deserves mad respect. Wine is a joke as far as gaming goes. But it can make some older titles work. And also for the record i haven't had any bsod or any crashes hardly ever because i don't deal with retail. I been running vista for month and a half now and i am very happy that all my games including the latest release just works. And again i prefer to play paid games than free games. Especially when the gaming industry is evolving like never before. So take your free games because i don't want them.

And this is not about marketing ploy or brainwashing either. This is from my own experience and the fact that my games just run every time with haven't to do any fiddling at all just assures me why pc gaming exist. If pc gaming did not exist then i wouldn't be debating as we speak and i could of careless of what os i use. But since pc gaming exist and its doing very well. Especially with valve to back us up. I am sorry but i can't say no to windows. Especially when it works with games very well. As far as viruses and spyware goes thats something that can be avoided if you know what you doing. Sides there are third party security software that really helps.

So in the end i am very happy gaming on my custom built rig with 8gb of ram =)

So you can moan and gripe all you want i am not convinced. I will only use Linux in a virtual box and thats that.

Sudo command that Sudo command this. Linux is so aggressive with command promt or terminal geeze. Especially Ubuntu. Whats up of me not able to login as root as i want total access to all my files and folder and not being protected or restricted from my own self to doing harm of my own system?? Geeze. I am not stupid i know what to delete and not to delete.
And so what if i mess up the os i can always reload from a image and problem solved. The point is I want total control of my rig. Not locking me and giving me "access denied you need to be logged in as root" Which root account is disabled and took me 2hrs to finally login as root only to be slammed with "only allowed limited access on this account"

Stupid Linux with their paranoid security.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Thank you johnsky, you took the words right outta my mouth.

Lets see stu, i just loaded WOW and it worked flawlessly. Loaded Steam and played TF2 flawlessly. Loaded Crysis, had a minor graphics prob which was fixed in minutes thanx to the wine forums and the huge community that supports linux and its progs. Hey theres a novel concept, a helpful community, not a whining one. Loaded Photoshop(just cuz) ran flawlessly. Loaded Quickbooks, ran flawlessly. No the last 2 are not part of a 2000 dollar game collection(big deal on dollar amount) but are heavily used in todays production world and guess what, they run Great on Linux in Wine.

You think All windows softwares work flawlessly out of the box? hell no they dont. Quit sweating the small stuff, its just not worth it. Well maybe if i played 2000 bux worth of games id be sweating a whole lot more than that. I use about $135k in actual production software for windows, does that make my bloviating any better than yours, Nope not in the least. And they all work in Linux.

Now dont blow a gasket, i have PC's running winblows, Macs and PC's running Kubuntu(I like KDE) Out of them all, Mac and Kubuntu win out every dam time. Why would i run windows you ask?? I have customers that require it for business purposes to show you the world is not all games and is not under M$ rule if they need to be.

Ive been using computers since the Tandy TRS-80 days so ive seen alooot of stuff come and go. Microsoft and alot of the windows software world has gotten complacent with software releases and making us the guinea pigs instead of testing it till its actually fraking working right. The Linux community has never hidden anything from anyone and continues to offer up an ever evolving OS that actually freakin works for free.

With that said, why dont you give one of the Ubuntu distros a try, hell ya never know, you just might (gasp) like it.

Silver

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
oh please thats all you can say "world is not about fun and games" very good one. There is a career in gaming you know. And no don't expect every single title to work with wine or Cedega. And i already tried Linux i just don't like it period. Accept that

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Actually, converting into Mickey Mouse dollars it would be more like $4000 worth, but lets not quibble.

So your telling me that Ubuntu (or any other Linux platform) will run ANY PC game, out of the box, without me having to feck around with 3rd party software or lots of jiggery pokery with the gubbings of the OS?

If you can answer the above question with a simple YES, then I'm sold. I doubt you can, though.

That is all I care about, playing my games. My machine is built to play games and was bought to play games. Any other possible "bonus" that Linux has over Windows, I do not care about.

And again, the whole free games/linux collection argument is a non-starter.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioJP
oh please thats all you can say "world is not about fun and games" very good one. There is a career in gaming you know. And no don't expect every single title to work with wine or Cedega. And i already tried Linux i just don't like it period. Accept that

Yeah. The UK gaming industry is worth some £2 Billion, it's larger then the UK Movie industry now.

Big money in games, with the PC dominating. Over 40% of all games sold are on the PC and the best ones made are available on the PC.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Let me give you an example. you have a mac which is what Unix based and it is as simple much much more simpler than windows but yet it can't do gaming properly lmao. The only difference between Linux and mac is that Linux can run on any hardware. But don't expect Linux to truly utilize every single effect that these games can throw at your hardware. Sure it can run But does it run with all of its glory with bells and whistles???.

I rest my case.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioJP

Exactly. You can get XBox games to run on a PC, or any other platform to run on another platform, with work and the right software.

But will it work as intended?

Highly likely not.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
and as you can see i am not just a ordinary average pc user. no no buddies i have actually like messing with the code. Linux and windows. Except windows is fun to mess with cuz its a challenge. Linux is pretty much ready to go and dig in.

Heres the problem why gaming and linux will never properly work as intended. (notice how i said as intended)

1. Linux is to scattered which discourages developers not to even bother with it. The reason why unreal and doom works on linux because some devs heard the Linux users cries and some gaming companies will actually port it to Linux but it did not work properly till years later. I mean doom and unreal tournament 2004? sure it was a fun game back in its days. we are well past that. And quake wars is another game that works on Linux. But Seems to me those games lose their quality very fast. I mean its now like 29.99. Windows games seems to last a very very long time.

2. Drm: Yup folks pc games have copy protection. if its not compatible with linux then your games wont run. This will surely and truly put a dead block in wine. (Sorry to spoil your parade) and isn't it the reason why we are constantly debating a never ending battle??? (oh no it has DRM!!! lol)

3.Gaming Developers is all about storylines and users experience not coding. So they just want x amount of time and x amount of resources and MONEY so they can ship it to the end users (us gamers) thats all they and we care about. Especially when i am constantly wowed of what these games are capable of which is the sole reason why i am defending pc gaming and "games for windows"

to me wine is like a hack to get windows games to run on linux. why wait while windows just gets the latest title right out of the oven =).

And please lets not start a debate about Directx vs OpenGL Please don't its not even debatable.

And lastly MS is no longer just a os company It is now becoming a gaming company such as the 360 and microsoft game studios and of course Games for windows which is still work in progress. And also such as bungie that created halo3 which sold X amount of copies in one single day ca ching$$ and boy did they profit. (although they did break up after halo 3 was launched forgot the reason why though)

Which is why i really don't hate the company sure it has its big flaws but at the sametime its the same company thats brings pc gaming to the table. I am sorry but we don't need to be rescued.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

That is all I care about, playing my games. My machine is built to play games and was bought to play games.

Ok man, fair enough.

Sorry for pointing all that crap at you. I truly didnt mean it to come off that way. Your point is valid and ill leave it at that.

In all fairness

will run ANY PC game
The use of ANY being capitalized and bolded, i can honestly say NO for all OS'es. No OS will run ANY game out of the box without some "fecking" with it. But i know thats a typing technicality. Any of Todays windows games, No but then again, how many of those games have patches for their programs that not only fix internal, but external programming to run correctly with windows also. They know microsoft will not help them, its their software, its their problem. This is where open source is good for everyone.

But like you said about the ur gaming machine, thats exactly what you bought it for and hey, i can respect that. Good Gaming bud

Silver

[edit on 4-7-2008 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The reason why games are not open source because they want to protect their investment but its also not necessarily closed code either. This is where the modding community comes in pc's strictly. I have seen games really changed completely and fixed certain issues. Developers don't care about the mod scene they just want to make sure that they have a sale. And once times elapses they start releasing patches that will remove copy protection and even provide development tools to go ahead and mod the living crap out of that game. so in fairness its not open source but its also not closed code either. only on the initial launch it is. But by that time gamers have already moved on which makes me wonder if the modding scene is in a decline??.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioJP

I wasn't referring to the games as open source, i was referring to the OS'es.

The main thing is OS here. Games, Office Production, Video Creation, ya ya, there thousands of kinds of softwares to choose from. The OS is the main thing to debate here, not much to choose from in that area. *cough* monopoly *cough*

Silver

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
thats really hard to say i mean i just hope it does not affect other areas. Linux is a community driven os which is fine. But when you have a mainstream os which is tide with other multi billion dollar industries i dunno how having windows open source would affect. Hope its not a negative impact.

Problem with ms is its of lack of focus its diving it into too many markets. (zune xbox 360 windows live, silver,games for windows etc) what they need is better management and hiring next generation thinkers thats what they need to do. Now that bill has stepped down. Curious how ms will be without gates.

as far as windows being open source goes i dunno i would have to think about that before i can say my final answer lol

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I hear ya mario. ruff call there.

To all you Vista users that are having no problems and has been running great, Thats Awesome and im really happy you guys and gals are working good. I love customers like you cuz you can make a tech feel pretty good.

But for everyone of you, there are hundreds, dare i say, thousands that aren't having such a pleasant experience. And thats just not right for the consumer.

XP has been a stable working platform for 7yrs now. Vista will be replaced next year. 2yr lifespan of an OS does not speak too highly of a product. Theres a reason the MSDN version of XP will not go unsupported till 2010. Because Corporate America, that keep the pockets full of the fatcats, will not switch to Vista. I know, i have alot of Business customers that flat refuse to wreck their entire computer structure with the un-stability of Vista and Ive read 100's time more articles stating the same thing of their customers.

The Regular Consumer got screwed this week with the X'ing of XP. Thats ok though, little did you know the big stores(Bestbuy, staples, office depot, etc) were under contract since December of 06 to carry only Vista Machines. You could still get XP ordered from a Builder website(Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, etc) after an uproar from the community to get no OS at all when confronted with Vista only.

Phew...ok to summarize, If you got vista and it works, rock on....if you have XP stick with it for as long as you can.... If you use linux and like it, rock on...mac users, thats why ur still mac users...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Wow, singularity sounds interesting. Hopefully this won't end up like winfs. i.e, never to be released.

I prefer OSX over Windows. As for Linux, I prefer the geeky/nerdy Slackware distro. I think Linspire, Xandros and Ubuntu have done an excellent job of de-nerding Linux to the point that anyone can use. They are just as easy to use as Win/OSX.
The best MS OS (imo) is Windows XP Fundamentals for Legacy PCs. It has a tiny (~700MB) footprint if you don't install IE/Outlook/Media Player and runs well on just 256Mb RAM on Pentium 2 class CPU. While it doesn't quite match Linux performance, it comes close.
Vista on the other hands sux, okay the gui is nice and is relatively stable and secure but it's just too slow. Specifically, shifting large files around (I work with raw avi files) is slow even on the latest quad core monster. I don't know if this is a DRM issue or what...

As far as changing to a different OS, well if you have a considerable investment in software that works perfectly on the intended hardware/OS then what's the point in trying to emulate it on a different OS. Stick with what works...

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Midori is old news, they're already working on Jägermeister and Goldschläger.

Could do with a drop of Jägermeister right about now, yum

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join