It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, XP. Hello, Midori

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I used to work in computer shop, and jeeze... hated fixing Vista machines. Such a pain.
That said, Microsoft has a bit of a history of getting every other or so OS to work smoothly. Seems they try to hard or to little on one after a success, and it craps out. Several of my friends love the older 2000, but hate WinMe with a passion.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by die_another_day

hopefully its not as bad as Vista
worst OS i downloaded (legaly)

cant wait to test this out
was watching click and they did a demo, touch screen interface and other cool features.
ms are good for one thing the free OS

You admit to downloading a U.S. made product?
Nice to know that even the worst U.S. bashers still need us for something.

As an IT professional, a "slimWin" sounds like a great idea. And I like working with Linux and Solaris, but their GUI's have a long way to go to equal what Windows has. But I'll also handle any new O/S like a previous poster said - by staying about 2 releases behind the cutting (bleeding?) edge.

UPDATE - after looking at the youtube of that Linux desktop, I may have to change my thinking on Linux GUI's.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by centurion1211]

Exactly, and to think that the video barely shows many of the usability features. It has come a LONG way in the last few years in terms of the standard consumer. It also seems that lately many companies are starting to release beta programs of popular windows applications coded for use on Linux. I think that within the next two years, it will come to a point where it is easy enough to understand for even the most computer illiterate people, yet with the power capable of catering to the most sophisticated user.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I've had Vista for a year now and havn't had a single problem with it, zilch....zero. Not that I'm here to defend Vista's honor or anything, I'm not partial to any OS, apple, windows, whatever, it just seems to me that people got their biases and simply bash things for no good reason. To me Vista seems just like XP except for added plesentries.

I play WoW and I got hundreds of movies stored on here, I got every kind of software I can get my hands on. I meen everything works, it has served it's purpose as a meens to gain access to that stuff. What is it exactly that makes people hate it?

I could be way off base and there is a perfectly good reason that I have not experienced personally as I'm not really a computer geek that just has to have whatever goes against the norm, so sorry. Allthough I have tried Ubuntu and I just didn't see the point, it was basically the same thing except everything was really technical and a pain in the butt to handle.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by bodrul

hopefully its not as bad as Vista
worst OS i downloaded (legaly)

cant wait to test this out
was watching click and they did a demo, touch screen interface and other cool features.
ms are good for one thing the free OS

You admit to downloading a U.S. made product?
Nice to know that even the worst U.S. bashers still need us for something.

As an IT professional, a "slimWin" sounds like a great idea. And I like working with Linux and Solaris, but their GUI's have a long way to go to equal what Windows has. But I'll also handle any new O/S like a previous poster said - by staying about 2 releases behind the cutting (bleeding?) edge.

UPDATE - after looking at the youtube of that Linux desktop, I may have to change my thinking on Linux GUI's.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by centurion1211]

Out of the box, standard , basic Linux Gui's are indeed basic. However, with (in my case) KDE which is highly configurable plus compiz-fusion and Kooldock I end up with a desktop that is far far classier than anything M$ can produce. Love wobbly windows with shadows
which are of no use whatsoever but as eye candy it always makes me smile and makes using my desktop very relaxing to use.

Point to note about Linux (I use the PCLinuxOS flavour ) your machine runs far quicker. There's no virus scanning and no auto downloading. Oh and one very important point.......masses of FREE software.

I suspect that Microsoft are investing in a new faster O/S because Linux is starting to make serious inroads into the desktop market. The new mini laptops all have Linux on them. Even the big laptop manufacturers are advertising Linux laptops. Microsoft can see this and are petrified. Thank god I don't have Microsoft shares, I give it 2 years before they collapse big time. Even Bill Gates has left DUH!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
I've had Vista for a year now and havn't had a single problem with it, zilch....zero. Not that I'm here to defend Vista's honor or anything, I'm not partial to any OS, apple, windows, whatever, it just seems to me that people got their biases and simply bash things for no good reason. To me Vista seems just like XP except for added plesentries.

I play WoW and I got hundreds of movies stored on here, I got every kind of software I can get my hands on. I meen everything works, it has served it's purpose as a meens to gain access to that stuff. What is it exactly that makes people hate it?

I could be way off base and there is a perfectly good reason that I have not experienced personally as I'm not really a computer geek that just has to have whatever goes against the norm, so sorry. Allthough I have tried Ubuntu and I just didn't see the point, it was basically the same thing except everything was really technical and a pain in the butt to handle.

Things may be more technical, but it also gives you more control. Think of it like this, having a car where your hood in welded shut. Sure it works the same as the car with the hood that you can work under, but when you become more then just the basic user you will wish you had the option of having a more configurable product.

The ability to actually control your operating system, and not have your operating system control you is a huge plus to me. The fact that it seems many Windows applications try to sneak things past the consumers, such as recording internet habits, data mining, and other negative actions while open source software does not allow for such shady practice because of its very nature.

Many Microsoft consumers enjoy being ignorant. They also are the same consumers that are being prayed upon by these corporations recording the websites they go to, tracking their every move online, and scanning their hard drives or network traffic for certain signatures. It is much better to know why a program does what it does, and when its doing something that you do not approve of, you are able to notice. Knowledge of what ports on you system may be open, what services may be running, as well as who, what, when, where, and why as to user activity. Many of these practices are not something many Microsoft users care about, and because of this ignorance it allows for more negative consequences.

Take the time to learn an operating system such a Linux. The benefits far outweigh the time it takes, and aside from all this, its free. The software is free, the support is free, the games are free, the patches are free. If you have knowledge of programming you are even able to fix your own software bugs, or contribute to a greater good by assisting with the development of such software. The opportunity is endless, and you are not locked into a room left with little choice as to how things may behave.

One day... the eyes will open.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I only use Windows because I am accustomed to it's GUI. I tried Ubuntu before and it was fine except I couldn't find any drivers which is a big "boo".
Microsoft is a monopoly, and it must be brought down so that a disc of 4gb won't cost $200 anymore.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

You make a good point, I could see myself favoring an OS like the one you described over one that is as intrusive as Windows, but it feels like linux was designed to keep the average user away, like if I don't know coding and such then I won't be able to enjoy it. I would like to think that I am wrong and they are user friendly. Is it easy to install? Transfer my stuff? Any advice of how to go about it, windows works like a charm for me but your right, I'm always looking at the 100 processes running in the background and wondering just wtf half of them are.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I tried vista. I was pretty upset with it.
I tried three OS's on this machine. Vista, XP, and Ubuntu (Linux).

After noticing just how incredibly slow vista was compared to XP and Ubuntu, I decided to take a look at my resources. Holy geez, Vista was wasting just about everything I had simply to run itself... nothing else, just a GUI. What a load of crap.

XP didn't manage to outperform Ubuntu.... but then again, I've never known a windows OS capable of outrunning Linux.

... in fact, they really should be given different categories. Comparing Windows to Linux just isn't fair to Windows. There's no feasible way for Windows to rival an OS that is so continuously advanced by people worldwide, and free at the same time.

Now. I looked at this Singularity.
Like EVERY SINGLE VERSION of windows. The programmers tell you it's a complete rewrite.
This is the first thing you should learn about most OS Companies. They lie.

There is still code left from the early days of windows in Vista.

With that being said, this Singularity OS... well, he showed the task list... and from what I can see, it's Windows, minus the GUI.
So what are they hoping to do with Singularity?
Probably load another GUI onto it all over again... just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER VERSION of windows.

And, as trends show, every version of windows is worse at managing resources and streamlining the calling of programs and functions than the last version.

Thats not so bad... until you remember that THATS THE ORIGINAL PURPOSE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM!
And windows is awful at it.

The only thing windows is good at is looking pretty. If I wanted pretty, I would have used acrylic paint, not a computer.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Midori is old news, they're already working on Jägermeister and Goldschläger.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have also been on Vista a while and really can't find anything all that big to complain about (outside of it being MS). I see it the same way XP was at release, people resisted the change, stuck with 98, until they were drug kicking and screaming to XP, and then realized it wasn't all that bad. Vista is the same way.

I did try to use Ubuntu, but the stupid thing wouldn't install. I gave up after that. Was never really a fan of Red Hat, so I just don't even look at it.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
I have also been on Vista a while and really can't find anything all that big to complain about (outside of it being MS). I see it the same way XP was at release, people resisted the change, stuck with 98, until they were drug kicking and screaming to XP, and then realized it wasn't all that bad. Vista is the same way.

I did try to use Ubuntu, but the stupid thing wouldn't install. I gave up after that. Was never really a fan of Red Hat, so I just don't even look at it.

Wow... how you get a red hat? Arn't those things like $3000 per copy?

Yeh it takes time for people to accept changes nowadays.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's not change that I didn't like.

If I was afraid of change, I would have never moved to Linux.

The numbers speak for themselves.

>I've never seen Ubuntu crash... not once.
>Windows on the other hand, crashes regularly. Yes, I've seen Vista crash... I don't care what Microsoft tells you... I saw it crash, twice before I decided to remove it.

>Never had to restart the machine because I've installed something.
>With windows, you often have to restart your PC because it needs to re-write it's registry.

>If a program hangs in Ubuntu, you can kill it easily.
>Windows tends to hang along with the program forcing you to restart.

>You can scale Ubuntu down so far that you can even eliminate the GUI altogether if you like. (I don't see why you would.)
Ubuntu will run properly on only 128 Megs of ram, and a processor as old as the P1.
>In windows all you can do is turn off the effects. Hardly scalable.
Windows Vista will run properly on 1.5 Gigs (Thats 1500 Megs) of ram and requires you to have a modern processor.

>Don't like something in Linux? Change it. Just about every part of the OS can be swapped for something a little more your style. You can make Linux run almost exactly like Windows, or Mac... heck, if you want it to feel like a Commodore, thats up to you. (Freak).
>Windows is Windows. End of story. Like a car manufacturer, you don't get to tell them what parts to use... but you can ask for a different color. (Wooptydoo!)

>In Ubuntu, installing programs is simple. In the old days, you had to compile your programs. Now all you have to do is chose them from a list and bang... done.
> Windows still seems to believe in the idea of running out to buy your programs, and having to pop in the CD and wait for a lengthy install. Unless you download them... but then you have to contend with the threat of viruses.
(Oh yeah, no harmful viruses, adware, or spyware on Ubuntu.)

>Ubuntu is free. Heck, if you don't want to download it, you can also order an official CD copy from Ubuntu's Website... and guess what... that's free too! Even the shipping!
>Windows... well... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[edit on 3-7-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

this is the same damn thing they said about vista

and after i restart my vista machine, ill be able to post this comment
i hate windows vista

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
from what i read.... the XP is still head & shoulders above the new product "Vista'...and preferred too.

i hoping to keep my XP for another 2-3 years,
MS is only going to not provide updates or security patches for XP,
but if one has other firewalls etc

Windows XP may be the prefered windows OS at the moment, but thats because a heap of those in the IT industry saw all the OEM installs of the thing..... If you have never used an OEM edition its much slower then the retail Vista installes. But still, when ever I install Vista there is a heap of stuff I turn off. After that its pretty much as fast as XP, but more stable

-fm

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
I tried vista. I was pretty upset with it.
I tried three OS's on this machine. Vista, XP, and Ubuntu (Linux).

After noticing just how incredibly slow vista was compared to XP and Ubuntu, I decided to take a look at my resources. Holy geez, Vista was wasting just about everything I had simply to run itself... nothing else, just a GUI. What a load of crap.

With that being said, this Singularity OS... well, he showed the task list... and from what I can see, it's Windows, minus the GUI.
So what are they hoping to do with Singularity?
Probably load another GUI onto it all over again... just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER VERSION of windows.

And, as trends show, every version of windows is worse at managing resources and streamlining the calling of programs and functions than the last version.

Can you post you specs? Like most new operating system a more up-to-date machine is always helpful lol.

The only windows OS they have claimed to be writing from scratch was Longhorn but that was scraped when they gave themselves too much work. Vista is based off server 03.

Singularity on the other hand is ment to be written in C#. Writing the core of an OS in this language is going to be interesting to watch considering no one has really done anything like that before.
With it they are planning to make a more reliable OS which seems to be more modualised. But in terms of the big picture they are trying to make something to compete with Apple the Linux community.
Here is a link to the web site here.

And with you last comment. You obviously havnt done the research on this one. Vista is much better then all previous OSs at managing ram and other things like multi-tasking.
If you give vista a chance you might see that this is true even if you have to turn off some of the bs they have added since the betas (
search indexing and other useless fratures).

-fm

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
To those who have given up on Linux, LEARN IT!
How long did it take you or anyone else to figure out the MS OS?
You pee on it because you are not familiar with it, I remember when I first downloaded it, I thought 'now what?'
Well, now I know what, it's not that hard.

You gotta learn to tie your shoes before you can run.

Besides, every release of Linux gets more user friendly, I noticed a big difference only 2 releases of Ubuntu ago.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I personally don't like Linux. One of the reasons is you really can't play pc games on Linux. Secondly there are too many distros to choose from which is can get overwhelming at times. So in the end I decided to just stick with windows and all my 40+ pc games works flawlessly under windows vista

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
They sure make Midori sound intriguing, but as several members has already pointed out, it´s pretty much the same fuzz, every time they launch a new OS.

I´m on OSX at work, and I´m not sold, by far. At home I´m on an ailing laptop, running WinXP, which runs much faster, and at least as stable as the OSX (Leopard 10.5.4) I have at work.

Pretty much everything else on my laptop is open source; Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, etc.

I would love to switch to - say Ubuntu, but I guess that would mean losing my favourite software suite - Adobe Creative Suite. This alone keeps me from switching to Linux. (I´ve heard about Wine for Linux, but would that enable me to run the latest and greatest from Adobe?)

Cheers

Opr11

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I am a computer buff and personally I don't understand the revulsion of some against Vista.

I do, however, remember the very same noises being said about XP, but now those same people love it! I think the main thing against Vista is that it is made by MS, so people automatically hate it.

I've been using Vista for 2 months now and haven't had a single issue. The security features asking your permission for everything can be disabled and that is the only thing that bugs me.

I find it loads quicker and is smoother than XP. If you want to save memory and improve performance, turn of the Windows sidebar. Saves a whole wack of RAM. There are other things you can do to save resources as well.

Linux, now there's a different kettle of fish. I don't want to spend months learning how to use a system. I want to use a system, end of.

Vista is install and go. Linux is install, be confused for 6 months, figure out you cannot run bugger all of any interest on it and then go back to Windows.

Why waste time learning how to use your OS that could otherwise be spent playing games?

The only game I ever got to work on Linux was UT3. No other game I have (and I have around £2000 worth of games) works. I imagine you could get some to work, but I'd have to spend an awfully large amount of time and energy to get them to work.

Why bother? So what if you can totally customise your OS. I really couldn't give a flying monkey crap.

I don't want to.

I don't go to bed at night touching myself because I can change my OS.

It is so far down on my list of things I want on my PC that I could not care less what Linux does, because I know what Linux cannot do without me spending my precious free time neck deep in code getting it to work.

I just want to play games and surf the net and Linux makes it hard work.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
well said i have 30+ pc games that just works flawlessly under windows xp and even under windows vista 64 bit. XP64 is a joke.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join