It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, XP. Hello, Midori

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Goodbye, XP. Hello, Midori

blogs.zdnet.com

It’s also a good day (thanks to a recent New York Times opinion piece) to start looking ahead to what comes next — after Windows.

That answer could be Softie Eric Rudder’s mysterious “Midori” project.

First, the back story: As San Jose State Professor Randall Stross notes in his Times article, “Windows Could Use a Rush of Fresh Air,” Windows has become big and unwieldy. That’s why Microsoft has been working for the past several years on reducing dependencies within Windows. And that’s what MinWin, the slimmed-down Windows core that Microsoft’s Core team has built (which supposedly won’t be at the heart of Windows 7) is all about.

Microsoft also has been investigating for the past several years what a non-Windows-based operating system might look like. That project, which recently hit the 1.0 milestone, is code-named “Singularity.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

“When and how Microsoft will roll out Midori is still a mystery. But it sounds like the company thinks the project is serious enough to dedicate a considerable amount of time/people/resources to it.”

Wow, so Windows 7 and this new "Midori" are what Microsoft is currently working on. Microsoft should just stick with the Windows interface and make it less buggy and resource hungry.

blogs.zdnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
lets just go here... Whenever they have a new OS out, I always stay with the 2 version old OS..... an it has kept me happy an content going with this strategy

the amount of bugs for games, an applications is Mind boggling.... these new OS's are rolled out once a program team has the 1st copy made it seems...

so in essence your paying x amount of dollars to become a consumer beta tester.... only your not there to test the bugs an glitches an report them to be fixed.... your just there to make their stocks go up....

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Unfortunately theres no money to be made in fixing old products.

I totally agree though, they should buckle down and fix everything that's wrong with XP... now up to SP3? I prob won't go any further down the Microsoft road.. thinking strictly Apple these days. (well, I've had Apples and promote Apples to family and friends often over the past 8 years).

I have not heard of the “Midori” project though... oh wait, yes i Have, that's part of the linux movement... well on to check it out anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trance Optic
so in essence your paying x amount of dollars to become a consumer beta tester.... only your not there to test the bugs an glitches an report them to be fixed.... your just there to make their stocks go up....

And just think, Beta testing is suppose to be FREE...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Singularity demo here.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Singularity demo here.

Does it come with a free Head Smashing Block? ..... Or is that At extra cost?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
from what i read.... the XP is still head & shoulders above the new product "Vista'...and preferred too.

i hoping to keep my XP for another 2-3 years,
MS is only going to not provide updates or security patches for XP,
but if one has other firewalls etc

i have my XP program copied for a re-install if anything comes up.
which will do in a pinch...for awhile -> but if i get repeat problems i reckon i'd have to dig deep for another $500-$700 (waiting for sales/rebates/discounts) and not wait for that Quantum computer OS that is the proverbial 'carrot-on-a-stick' that is just around the corner !

no wonder ole bill gates gave up that position at MS, so someone else would reap the flack

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

hopefully its not as bad as Vista
worst OS i downloaded (legaly)

cant wait to test this out
was watching click and they did a demo, touch screen interface and other cool features.
ms are good for one thing the free OS

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"This is NOT the "next windows kernel". This is an experimental managed kernel that has little or nothing to do with Windows whatsoever. Its ideas may bring about fruition in Windows two or three major versions from now, but without either dual booting or a total hypervisor approach to Windows there is no possible way this could possibly host existing Windows apps, ever."

Another useful link

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hi everyone and good evening.

I've been using XP pro for years now. Yeah, it has it's issues, but like some have stated here, it's far better than that Vista crud.
I love to work with new OS's and feel then out. I'd look forward to another one from Microsoft.
There are always going to be bugs and non loading apps, which are usually your favorite programs. I guess it's to keep the cash cow going.

One thing that I do is I completely dump my whole system every 4-6 months and do a reinstall from a back-up drive. Simple, quick(except for the updating!!) and done in no time.
Also, get rid of that annoying IE7. JUNK!!! Go with Firefox or Thunderbird!

Chow!

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Having read the article I must admit I'm not the least bit wiser of what this step means.

Is it correctly understood that "Singularity" is a project with the aim of promoting a new way of looking at OS? And that Midori will be the consumer offspring of this?

Any techies out there who can explain more about this project in layman terms? It sounds quite interesting though I hardly understand anything of it, hehe

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

All you need to know is that this is years away and it's coming from microsoft.
If you like new stuff try linux, if not, bite the bullet and switch to mac like the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

I'm pc user for 18 years now but working on apple.
what a nice change is to go to work. apple works like swiss watch. nice and clean.

windows do not need changes, they need project shutdown and starting with completely new microsoft system.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
All I want to know is, why has no one noticed the rude little smiley used in Windows XP, which I suppose is directed at the consumer?

XP xp

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
All I want to know is, why has no one noticed the rude little smiley used in Windows XP, which I suppose is directed at the consumer?

XP xp

Yeh i noticed that.

But look at "OX S"

Same thing right?

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with XP until useful applications no longer supports it.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have been running Windows Vista for about 2 years now (I was a beta tester) and I absolutely love it. I think most people who bash it have never used it, it's not a giant leap, but little things add up. I'm happy with it

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've been running Linux for the past ten or so years and can honestly say I will never use a Microsoft based operating system ever again.

Take a look at the beauty of a compiz desktop :

www.youtube.com...

My desktop is setup the same way, just with a different theme. While it has a lot of eye-candy, the usefulness is hundreds of times greater then Windows could ever be. Also, I have never have had Linux freeze, crash, or anything else other then when I myself am toying around with memory registers and things that normal users would not even see.

Not to mention its free, as well as all the software for it. Take that extra 150$ and put it towards these soaring gas prices. Why pay more when there is a better product right around the corner for free?

One day, people will see the light.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by deadline527]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

I've had it for a year and a half and it sucks. It constantly interferes with other programs and it's stupid security center totally screws everything up and sometimes blocks operations *it actually shut down Firefox because i was watching CNN through it*
not to mention the fact that when i update programs such as AIM or Itunes, everything seems to crap out and i have to go on forums to find solutions because microsoft doesn't bother fixing their bugs.
So yeah, I'm bitter about Vista and it's not like i had a choice of picking between XP and Vista. I would have gladly picked XP.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by die_another_day

hopefully its not as bad as Vista
worst OS i downloaded (legaly)

cant wait to test this out
was watching click and they did a demo, touch screen interface and other cool features.
ms are good for one thing the free OS

You admit to downloading a U.S. made product?
Nice to know that even the worst U.S. bashers still need us for something.

As an IT professional, a "slimWin" sounds like a great idea. And I like working with Linux and Solaris, but their GUI's have a long way to go to equal what Windows has. But I'll also handle any new O/S like a previous poster said - by staying about 2 releases behind the cutting (bleeding?) edge.

UPDATE - after looking at the youtube of that Linux desktop, I may have to change my thinking on Linux GUI's.

[edit on 7/2/2008 by centurion1211]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join