It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best way to translate accurately online?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Can anyone advise me on the best way to translate languages accurately online.

I ask because my daughter (10 years old) has just had some French kids visiting her school, and she got quite friendly with one young boy in particular. (First crush). I did try and tell her that the most important thing a new "boyfriend" needs to understand is that her daddy learnt how to kill people in the army....but she was'nt having any of it!

Anyway they exchanged emails then realised that he can't speak English and she can't speak French. I said not to worry as we could use it as an opportunity to learn a new language, so she's started an online basic course.

In the mean time, she wanted to send him a basic email but when i stick it through Babelfish it comes out all weird.

For example, she wanted to say i thought he was nice and very polite, however it says that i thought he was polished!

Instead of saying i enjoyed meeting him, it says something about him pleasuring to be with me.......now can you see why i'm having reservations about using an online translation tool?!!!

I don't know anyone who speaks fluent French, and no offence to anyone but i'm dubious about letting someone i don't know online translate a personal email for my daughter.

Any ideas? Should i bother getting it translated or just send it in English for her and let him sort it out the other end?

That could be a good idea actualy, let them both do some investigating receiving end and translate it themselves.

Any advice, most appreciated.

CX.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
i'm dubious about letting someone i don't know online translate a personal email for my daughter.

Who is the "someone"?

alta vista babelfish

i enjoyed meeting him : j'ai eu plaisir à le rencontrer

yup, that's about right!

Because it may not sound right to you doesn't mean it's wrong so don't give up using babelfish.

I use it to do my ebay listings.

The most important thing to remember is to keep it clear, simple and with proper grammar. The clearer it is for both parties the better.

After a while, you'll be able to understand the translations better and things will get easier.

Bon chance!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Here's One! This is the one I use.

www.online-translator.com...

Translates:

Web pages as you surf
Text
Email

Maybe More!

join