It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Speaking on Faith-Based Program: Cont. Bush's Programs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

ZANESVILLE, Ohio — With an eye toward courting evangelical voters, Senator Barack Obama arrived here on Tuesday to present a plan to expand on President Bush’s program of investing federal money in religious-based initiatives that are intended to fight poverty and perform community aid work.
The fact is, the challenges we face today — from saving our planet to ending poverty — are simply too big for government to solve alone,” Mr. Obama is expected to say, according to a prepared text of his remarks. “We need all hands on deck.”

So when Bush does it, it's unconstitutional, but when the great Hope" machine brings it up....

So How can he spin this to avoid the ire of leftists everywhere? (not that they won't turn a blind eye, hoping it's all lip service to get elected)

Well, this is a way...

Now, I know there are some who bristle at the notion that faith has a place in the public square,” Mr. Obama intends to say. “But the fact is, leaders in both parties have recognized the value of a partnership between the White House and faith-based groups.”

He thus embraced the heart of a program, established early in the Bush administration, that critics say blurs the constitutional separation of church and state. Mr. Obama made clear, however, that he would work to ensure that charitable groups receiving government funds be carefully monitored to prevent them from using the money to proselytize and to prevent any religion-based discrimination against potential recipients or employees.

OOOOHHHHHH! Thats how. Hmmmmm, where are all you lefties on this one? I guess the truth is that the "Great Reconciler" can do no wrong.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Now, I know there are some who bristle at the notion that faith has a place in the public square,” Mr. Obama intends to say. “But the fact is, leaders in both parties have recognized the value of a partnership between the White House and faith-based groups.”

Oooooh, BOTH parties huh? I guess that's all of us! If it's OK with BOTH parties what is there to complain about?

Sorry, separation of Church and state BELONGS in the constitution and needs to be PROTECTED by it's servants NOT REINTERPRETED for the benefit of faith-based groups' lobbyists.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
In his younger years Obama worked as a community organizer in Chicago, and I think he saw that religous organizations could contribute a lot to the uplift of a community. IMPO he wants to include such organizations in our national effort to achieve a reasonable standard of living for all Americans. He does tread dangerously close to the Constitutional separation of church and state; he is attempting a very difficult balancing act.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The problem I see here is that if you give money to one faith-based group, you must give money to ALL of them. Any discrepencies in how much money one group recieved vs another will cause outrage.

Seperation of church and state is here for a reason! This idea by its very existance is a slap in the face of the constitution.

Keep the government out of faith-based initiatives.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
More tax payer money to be waste to support a nation left behind citizens that are full of problems that our own government can not address or want to dump on others as religious organizations that after all have their own personal agendas to fulfill.

Incredible.

Faith feed the hart but doesn't take care of an empty stomach.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I've actually noticed that when it comes to the real issues in this campaign, most of the people on this site won't come near them. I guess the Idea of M. Obama saying "whitey" or Mccain saying "gooks" is far more interesting.

That and 15 threads on Obamas birth certificate.

top topics

join