It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught On Camera: Patient Dies Alone In E.R.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You know it doesn't surprise me anymore.

Where do you find the least knowledgeable people about a product? Working in Tech Support.

What is the most environmentally friendly light bulb? The one which is the most hazardous if it is broken.

Where do you find the least educated? Teaching schools.

Where do you find the least wiling to assist? Working In an emergency room.

Where are the poisons in society? In our food supply.

What Discordian times we live in.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Now imagine how crappy the level of care will be when free health care is kicked in and medical care becomes socialized and handled by the federal government. If you have ever been to the DMV you already have a good idea.

Health care in Canada is anything but free. Eye and dental care are not a part of the system. Neither are prescription pills. Most people have to have additional insurance to cover those costs.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Imagine how universal healthcare will be.

I donno...maybe you'd better check the Toronto papers to see.

Between you taking a shot at UHC, and the other poster who brings up illegal aliens in relation to this occurance, maybe you both should take a real good look at what prompts such knee-jerk, downright mean rationalizations.

No damn wonder the US seems to hover so low in measures of infant mortality and such. Get used to such scenes...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I can see both sides to this. I do think she should have been checked on when she laid down, etc. But it was a psych ward... no offense. I was in 1k once or twice and you wouldn't believe the stuff that goes down. The nurses had to restrain this one lady for running up and down the halls naked yelling the world was ending. My mom burned her hand very badly(3rd degree burns) when she snuck a lighter in to her room. I can tell you more stories of what I've seen when I used to go visit her. I also used to work at a nursing home and I hated going to the 5th floor... I had a lady who kept following me around and onto the elevator. You needed a key to access the 5th floor elevator and this woman was a sweet lady but nuts. She pushed me once into the elevator wall and wouldn't let me go or get off the elevator. She kept on calling me an Angel and asked her if I was going to take her to God.

So, I can see why if they were familar with her and she's been there or done that before, they kinda let her do her thing as long as it wasn't dangerous to her or other people. They should have kept an eye on her though to make sure she was ok.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
if you have worked with mental patients, and your happy with them slumping to the floor because they can be 'dramatic' and don't see why she should of been checked by the staff who passed her... I am speechless, totally speechless.

You're also apparently reading impaired, because I didn't say anything even resembling that.

If you're not going to read my posts, do me the favor of not responding to them, so that I don't waste my time reading the figments of your imagination.

This was my assessment of the situation.

However, based on the article, she was simply ignored for no good reason, while some staff looked on. At the very least, security should have checked on her status to see if she was in distress or just wanted to lie down. If a patient decides to lie on the floor, there's not much that can be done except to strap him into a wheelchair and that can look pretty brutal on video, too.

I worked in the psychiatric triage unit at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Until, you've seen what I've seen, don't presume to tell me how it is.

The actions of the hospital as described in the article were wrong and I said they were wrong, so you can get off your high horse.

[edit on 2008/7/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Quit complaining about Canada.
When your arm falls off, it gets sewn back on, and you don't get a bill for $18,000. Your perscription drugs (the same ones) are so much cheaper that Americans sneak them across the border. Of the very few percentage of people who do get free health care in the US, vision and dental are still separate too.
Health Care is not working in any country in the world, and speak up if you think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Do psych wards usually have medical doctors? The emergency room in a psych ward, for example, are they for mental emergencies only, or are they staffed to treat actual physical maladies? Would a person with a non-psychiatric problem be able to get care in one of these ERs or would they only serve people with mental issues?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
No damn wonder the US seems to hover so low in measures of infant mortality and such. Get used to such scenes...

Johnny Canuck, I don't give a rat's patootie about Canada and I care even less about what you think of America.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

In my experience, an MD was on the unit most of the time. The rest of the staff were nurses, social workers, admin, and security. The MD couldn't wander far, because he had to sign off on everything and conduct his own interview after the other staff finished with the mental status reports.

Patients can and will do anything including attacking the interviewer or deciding that the floor is more comfortable than the chairs.

No patient would have remained on the floor for that long on my unit, but if you're dealing with a patient who's trying to gouge your eyeballs out, the patient on the floor won't take precedence.

That doesn't appear to have been the case here, so I will assume that this was a case of gross negligence.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I found a video on Youtube, i think this is it...

youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
There's a better video here that shows the staff ignoring the patient.

With staff right there, the woman lay motionless on the floor for 45 minutes before a security officer investigated.

/4asljg

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Johnny Canuck, I don't give a rat's patootie about Canada and I care even less about what you think of America.

I know. In spite of that, I think America is a great place, and Americans are great people. But they are suffering under the politics of mean, and this is just a another example.

What struck me, though, was not that I had a sudden opportunity to brag about Canada...though it is Canada Day, eh? Rather, I was gobsmacked by the fact that anybody could use such a sad day to pull political hay out of their patootie and take a shot at UHC. Please don't take it personally, Grady...it simply proves a point.

And our current Bush Lite administration is not above those self-samed politics of mean and I can't wait to launch a shot at their collective patooties (or is that patooti?...heck, their Conservative arses) come next election.

Still, come the 4th, I'll raise the metric variety of a pint in your direction, and wish y'all well.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Well depends. I had my finger cut all the way off. Held it with a wash rag white driving myself to the ER.

I still had to wait. Why? Because a guy that came in at the same time lost his leg in an ATC wreck. Small hospital. SO there I sat bleeding . Just bad timing.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
reply to post by Dar Kuma

The only thing that goes above limb / eye sight is an immediate cardiac arrest / chest pains and GCS 10 and below patients.
[edit on 1-7-2008 by Dan Tanna]

What does GCS stand for?

Why didnt they attach the patient to some heartbeat machine or something? After all she is in the emergence department

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Utter disgust.

The staff should endure more than a mere firing. The lady died.

The wrong people are politicians, doctors, teachers, police, etc...

The security rolling his chair over then rolling back... the kick test...

Abominable.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Without knowing the financial status of this person, I can't speak directly to what did or did not go down from that perspective. However, I have spent a great deal of time in hospitals, and my ex-daughter-in-law was a respitory thearapist. And I spend an inordinate amount of time being observant.

It has been my observation that care is usually a matter of the bottom line. Watch a crowded ER, and note how the well dressed and seemingly afluent get a room and a doctor faster than someone looking like a Bosnian refugee.

Have you ever wondered why there's so much up front discussion of how you'll pay before being sent back? Have you ever noticed the level of tests done for people from different economic levels?

Hospitals are a business, and the less $$$ you seem to be worth to them, the less they seem to care. It's no different than car salesmen, they give the greater attention to the guy who pulls in driving a two year old Lincoln and virtually ignore the guy in a nine year old Chevy.

Just my observations; and not saying it was the case here, as this seems to be gross neglect worse than any I have ever witnessed. But if you get hurt, take the time to put on a nice suit and tie, and get a friend who looks like a CPA to drive you in to the ER. And be sure and flash a lot of credit cards and a few greenbacks while getting out your insurance card. :shk:

[edit on 2-7-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is damn low, shame on them, shame on htem for even resembling humans.. shame..
I was in hospitol when i was 19, with bad pbenmmonia. Both ofmy lungs were half filled with thick yellow mucus. nurse their, didnt seem to care much, this was at stamford hospitol.
A good years back, i thynk it was around 1997? IN our local paper, a 9 year old kid was shot, and the hospitol left him out on the doorsteps. it made the news but no one did anyting... sad to sya 3 hours later the boy died. I was fumin mad, becuase i had always thought regardless, hospitols were supposed to be their, to help you! Even if you didnt have money, so you pay rest of your life paying off the bill, at least they did something... nowadays, yuo have have insurance,...thats the new thing... no insurace=find help elsewhere.
This reminds me 2 years ago, when my father passed form cancer. Just after he died in hospitol, the priest they sent upstiars, was somek kinda msulim hindu, reading a catholic bible. i was ina we, and didnt know what to think or say. I figured eh, he's in a btter place anyway but still..

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
For the record.. thiers a guy that works down street form me, at a CITGO gas station. were kinda like friends. He used ot work in human resources department of stamford Hospitol.. the mess he used tell me.. Under certain maangemnt, this is how it works, then a new regime comes in, and brings his employees with him, and often, those new employees slack off, act childish, anyting to get yuo fired our ousted, so their buddies can get in. This is patient care modern day? thier there, becasue its who you know, o get promoted and riases, the hospitol is just a money maker..
in my opinion, hopsitols have gone CEO ass well...and lok at what CEOS do to us..not good. just an excuse to have a job.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm shocked and appalled by the lack of respect shown here. As a single person myself, I probably would be at an ER alone as well. If I were not attended to correctly or even died, who would know?

The a sobering thought at 5 in the morning, huh?

I hope that her family is heavily compensated and more people are disciplined for this unbelievable event.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join