It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

memory problems?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Sorry for the wierd title, i didnt know how else to say this

2 things that i've noticed that have me clinching my teeth and pulling out hair

1.) When i want to "star" a post, i click the star. The first time i do this, it just reloads the page, but doesnt recognize a star. When i click a second time, it works and the post is starred

2.) When i click "reply to" a post in a thread, 9 times out of 10, it'll go to the reply screen, but contain no coding for a header to show "who" im replying to, it'll just be a blank text entry box
i have to clikc "back" and "reply to" 3 more times before it inserts the code

any ideas WHAT THE *SNIP* is going on here?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This same thing happens to me. It is quite annoying.
Glad to know i'm not the only one having this issue.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Check your browser settings/security software. It's definitely on your end, it's amazing what security software (anti virus or browser settings) can do to a webpage.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Same thing happens here.

It can be frustrating, but please have patience as I am sure that the issues are being addressed.

That said, to eliminate a couple 'clicks' for the "Reply to" issue, simply click on "This Post" within the post you want to reply to. This will reload the page. Scroll back to the desired post and hit the "Reply to" icon. You should get the reply to coding every time using this method.

Is it perfect? No. But it is two less clicks...

I have no idea about the star issue.

Edit to Add: Springer beat me to it...

That could make sense, as I seem to only notice the issues on my work computer (dinosaur)...

[edit on 1-7-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If you see a ' after the post number in the address bar it causes the problem.

Simply remove the ' using whichever method suits you best, reload the page by hitting enter only (it reloads without the ' - if you just refresh, it doesn't work) and hey presto, problem solved.

So to recap - remove the ' at the end of the page address, hit enter, then click reply to, or star and the problem should be gone.

I always check before hitting either function that there is no ' in the address.

Example:
http ://www .abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread367865/pg1'
function won't work.

http ://www .abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread367865/pg1
function will work.

Just a glitch I guess.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I would also like to add that I am using Firefox to browse. Is this a problem? I find using Internet Explorer simply unbearable as it sucks every iota of memory out of my computer for no apparent reason.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I use Firefox and it does happen occasionally. Not often enough to bother me though. IE, waste of disc space.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
May I suggest you move from FireFox 2 or 3 to Safria 3.1 or newer.

I know this is a "mac" browser, but I find, in 98/2000/xp it is the fastest browser around.

I have also discovered that safria handles things like flash chat, MUCH better than internet explorer and or Firefox.

Download Source

Now, that said, I have found that in Vista, IE is much faster than FF or safria (damn M$)

[edit on 7/1/2008 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Please don't see this as being disrespectful. This is my view and maybe you could quickly explain yours.

First I have 20 years experience in computers and 10 in web development. I would be a moron to tell you that your problem is this or that being that I don't see your code or set up.

I have the same proble and it does seem that many other people do also. I clicked on the reply to: and got nothing a few times. Know if it was a security or browser setting issue on our end than in would not be intermintant. It would happen all the time, but website themself have problems that create interminant results. Plus if everyone has their settings on default like so many do than thats how so many get the same problem.

I'm into web developement and I do realise the many hours it takes to figure the smallest of problems so I figure it is not even worth the hassle to fix. I'm just saying that I really don't think it is a security or browser issue. We would be having this problem on other sites as well. Not just yours.

What do you think? Just curious

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
reply to post by Springer

Please don't see this as being disrespectful. This is my view and maybe you could quickly explain yours.

First I have 20 years experience in computers and 10 in web development. I would be a moron to tell you that your problem is this or that being that I don't see your code or set up.

Just my opinion, bro. But when you're questioning someone else's views, moron probably isn't the best word to use. I'm just sayin......

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
but that is my favorite word dude! I like to use it as much as possible!

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm using IE. No problems with posting. I just checked memory usage and no problems. Also most system resources seem to be free. I often have IE running while rendering in 3D Software and no problems. I've always thought those who have problems must have other issues they are misinterpreting?

Vista - rock solid.
XP Pro - rock solid.
IE - years since I've had a problem.

Go figure? Most issues at first blamed on XP, Vista or IE tend to be bad RAM, improper configuration due to lack of knowledge or third party drivers wrongly blamed on the wrong culprit. The later is a huge issue. Third party drivers are often not up to par and those unfamiliar with it always blame the OS.

Keep your system clean. Make sure there is free disk space equal to that in use. Keep your drivers up to date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Update the OS and IE often. Defrag your drives often. KEEP YOUR REGISTRY CLEAN! If you don't own a good registry cleaning program get one as it is as important as anti-virus.

First place to look when you have an issue is Java. Lots of problems there.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i run windows vista

windows firewall is turned off
windows user control is turned off
i have all updates from update.microsoft.com
IE is updated
firefox is updated

it still messes up in IE and firefox

what else am i missing?

This post by budski actually fixes the problem

what am i doing wrong to get the ' to appear at the end of some pages?

It doesnt happen ALL th time, just a majority of the time.

[edit on -05:00America/Chicago3535560756353135 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

I use Firefox and it does happen occasionally. Not often enough to bother me though. IE, waste of disc space.

Such hurtfull words

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Yeah like I said, I only see it once in a grate while. Something like that would have nothing to do with the operating system you are running.

new topics

top topics

join