It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Vote For Obama is a Vote for Africa!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SKMDC1

hey, you're asking the wrong person. i have not agreed for them to take my money to help w/ anything. i don't trust them to do what they say they will. if it is my money that is helping to fund any of this stuff, then i want open rights to all of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
reply to post by SKMDC1

hey, you're asking the wrong person. i have not agreed for them to take my money to help w/ anything. i don't trust them to do what they say they will. if it is my money that is helping to fund any of this stuff, then i want open rights to all of it.

If you really haven't agreed to let the gov't use your money, then you must not drive on the highway or use the postal service. Must be an isolated existence. Your position seems to be you trust the government to do NOTHING right, but how long would you last without the daily infrastructure provided by the government? It can be done. Religious compounds do it. Crazy guys living in school buses in the mountains do it. But I don't think it's a viable lifestyle on which to base a political viewpoint.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SKMDC1

i am for local state taxes (although even those need to be rethought a bit. around here as the roads aren't THAT great in some areas.. the ones i am driving on anyway. the ones that are good, you have to pay extra money to use ... the toll roads)

here, maybe this link will help you understand where i am coming from.

www.taxtruth4u.com...

edited to add: even so, fixing the roads here and fixing them over in another country are two different things. i am not sure you have read through all the other posts here, but i do my best to explain my reasoning on this thread.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

About this "money spending in other countries thing"

i have one thing i'd like us all to ponder

If the Bush Administration is literally just printing "monopoly" money in order to pay for the war in iraq (tax cuts + increased spending = even further in the whole....cant pay for it with 'real' money you dont have)...

then why not just "print money" for every problem we face

Need a new house? Here ,have your own custom home made money making printing machine, straight from uncle sam

need college tuition and universal health care? Gona cost the country 47 trilion dollars? Well, i guess we better print some money to pay for the electric bill increase, because this money making machine will be working DOUBLE TIME!

All sarcasm aside ,this is exactly what they are doing to pay for Iraq. Why cant it be done on other things

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

darlin', i'm not saying they can't do that. and they certainly will continue to do that if those are the kind of politicians that are continually put into office. just bc they can, do and will doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it right to support it, IMO.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
reply to post by SKMDC1

i am for local state taxes (although even those need to be rethought a bit. around here as the roads aren't THAT great in some areas.. the ones i am driving on anyway. the ones that are good, you have to pay extra money to use ... the toll roads)

here, maybe this link will help you understand where i am coming from.

www.taxtruth4u.com...

edited to add: even so, fixing the roads here and fixing them over in another country are two different things. i am not sure you have read through all the other posts here, but i do my best to explain my reasoning on this thread.

[edit on 8-7-2008 by justamomma]

Thanks for the link. I actually enjoy Ron Paul quite a bit and I really hope his movement continues to grow. I don't agree with him on everything, but at least he's smart and has a clear idea of how to improve things. There's nothing I like better than a good YouTube of Dr. Paul schooling supposed experts on the issues they supposedly know best, whether that's Burnake or Guiliani or whoever... The mainstream media completely screwed him in the Primaries and for that I share the Paulite's outrage. I'm also pretty sympathetic to the small government concept, but I think taking it to the level Ron Paul does is too based in the past and doesn't put proper emphasis on how global markets and international relations actually effect us today. In 2008 the world has gotten smaller and a total isolationist view just seems outdated to me. I think it's one of those things where a happy medium has to be found. A modest sized government that governs smarter with the global community in mind.

Oddly enough, Obama is the only major Presidential candidate in recent memory who advocates getting rid of the Federal Income Tax for a large section of the US Population (Seniors who make under 50K.) In reality, they aren't paying taxes anyway, but they still have to go through the motions of monthly deductions, a yearly refund, and filling out all the paperwork. Getting rid of the income tax for them just make sense, it saves money for them and for the Fed.

My feeling is, where things stand right now, there's no way our country is going to survive without raising the value of the dollar (on this Dr. Paul would almost certainly agree with me) and the only way to do it is going to be to pay off debt and reduce the deficit. That's got to be priority 1 for the new President. Dr. Paul's way of doing this would be to immediately end the war and to cut out vast swaths of Federal programs from the Dept. of Education to FEMA to the IRS to Social Security to Medicaid/Medicare... I just don't think that's feasible all at once. I think it's going to take smaller steps to get the dollar back on top, pay off foreign debt (especially to the Chinese) and balance the budget. At that point, when the economy is stable, I think it's feasible to look at reducing or privatizing programs, but when you have $5 gas and skyrocketing food costs you just can't throw medicaid out the window, it would be a disaster.

It's also odd that the best economic President we've had in my lifetime has been a Democrat. When Clinton left office there was all the talk in the Bush/Gore campaign about what to do with the budget surplus... The Republicans had a golden opportunity to cut the size of government and put their money where their mouth was, unfortunately that didn't happen. Ron Paul would've been the perfect President in 2000 when there was next to no unemployment and the economy was booming. In 2008, like 1992, we have too big a hole to climb out of to reduce programs that (for good or ill) people are depending on to survive.

I do agree that we need to fix our own problems before tackling the world's issues, but a smarter better administration can do both at the same time. For example, Obama's plan for college financial aid is tied to doing volunteer work at home or abroad. Something like that helps the economy here by assisting in getting Americans a college education they need to compete with growing global markets, and at the same time fulfills the "good Samaritan" goal we should be striving for as a first world nation.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SKMDC1

well, certainly i respect your views. you have been very kind to discuss this w/ me in a civil manner and that is something i really appreciate.

i am a bit old fashioned (yes, even at 31) when it comes to the constitution. once i understood the principles behind it and what it took to get those ideas in place, i was hooked. lol

again, i am not against obama the "person", i am just against alot of the issues he has up on his page. i have always enjoyed politics and i will be the first to say that when he gives his speeches, he comes off quite well and very charismatic (which i relate to).

oy vey......... it is those issues that stand in my way of being able to give him my support. mccain has never been an issue for me..... hell no will i support someone who holds the same views as president bush even if they are watered down views. obama, i was up in the air about until i literally made myself sit down for a few hours and look issue by issue and weighed them against what this country was founded on....... he is far off too.

my vote may not be much, but it is a matter of conscience to me. i have to go w/ who i believe in and the only one i believe is for the ppl and for this country being what it was meant to be is ron paul. will my vote fall to the wayside? abso-*snippin'*-lutely! but my conscience will be clear and that is important to me as an individual and w/ the things i speak out against.

again, thank you for your kindness in speaking about these things w/ me. i was coming to the conclusion that all obama supporters were "one sided" hypocrites; you, along w/ a select other few on here have proven otherwise.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Thanks for the kind words. I too have enjoyed an unusually civil debate about politics.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join