It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Supporters unable to name one of his Accomplishments

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Lloyd..what a suprise, you posting a thread slamming Obama.
I'm not slamming Obama, I'm just trying to point out the level of desperation being exhibited by people who want some kind of change, any kind of change, without first doing a little research on their candidate.

You seem to be repeating and pushing a new theme in your postings of "he is just to hard to understand". In Propaganda terms this is refered to as an appeal to the common man. It encourages disdain for the educated and articulate. I actually think you are intelligent enough to clearly understand what Obama is speaking of in his speeches, but dishonestly claimed otherwise to press this theme. He's just to "educated" and "articulate" for the common folk!
I'm pushing no such agenda. I seriously have a problem understanding what he says.. I know what my ears are telling me, but before I know what's happening, one of his supporters realizes Obama's gaf, and morphs his words into something entirely different. Take for example his "Typical White Person" comment concerning his own Grandmother. There's only a few ways a rational and intelligent person can interpret that statement. It's a racist stereotype no matter how you choose to look at it. Surely, you won't deny that.. Replace the word "White" with "Black", and tell me how it comes across to you..

I am not suprised at the tact, it worked well to get GWB elected. He's the kind of man you would "like to have abeer with" right? It's an appeal to emotion... another tool of propagandists. There are plenty of people that I would enjoy having a beer with, but as Chief Executive of the USA?
I never supported GW, and I certainly wouldn't want to have a beer with him.

Barack Obama ..
Only the 5th Black Senator elected in the entire history of the United States. You have to have to seriously impress to overcome those odds.
Not really.. He's not the first black man to ever overcome the racial boundaries in our society.

Obama graduated from Harvard Law School with a J.D. magna cum laude, where he was the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review.
Wow! I'm impressed. He came from such an humble background, yet somehow managed to go to Harvard, one of the most Elitist school in the country.

He was a professor of constitutional law for 8 years at the University of Chicago Law School.
Actually he was not a professor, but a lecturer, and then a senior lecturer. He never held the legitimate title professor.

He has a very long list of community service.
Which community might that be?

Notice I didn't list anything about his political accomplishments. Yes the bills he has sponsored speak to his positions, but I will be honest, I am not interested in his political chops.
No need.. As both videos demonstrate it would be a rather daunting task for anyone..

The current political system in the US is BROKEN and CORRUPT.
In my opinion one of the greatest qualifications that Barack Obama has is that he is relatively new to the political scene. I want him to CHANGE the way Washington works. Or at the very least TRY rather than what we have seen in DC over the past 8 years....Bush thinks Morales are paintings on walls and Scruples are money in Russia!
You're right the system is broken and corrupt, but choosing someone based on their claim they will bring about change is illogical. What change has he brought about so far in his last 8 years as a legislator?

Barack is intelligent, articulate and well educated in constitutional law and US history.
Agreed

Has a strong passion for this country and is just naive enough about Washington corruption and strong willed enough to try to change it.
I have my doubts about that..

He is the least like a "politician" of any presidential candidate I have seen in decades. That is what I like about him. I am not interested in the "political experience" of the likes of like os Rumsfield, Cheney, Bush, McCain.
From my point of view, he's no different than the rest. He changes positions frequently, he abandons his supporters for expediency, and lies like every other politician does.

CHANGE.
I saw a guy holding a sign that said that exact same thing once in front of a subway entrance..

[edit on 7/1/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

i would have to say this is the best post i have seen thus far in regards to obama. i DO feel that i need to be convinced at this point considering what all of us have gone through as a country. republican and democrat, neither of them have deserved my attention for quite some time.

so, let me list out the PROBLEMS i see w/ obama since for the first time, i feel like someone may listen and tell me their point.

* Combat Employment Discrimination
Obama will work to overturn the Supreme Court's recent ruling that curtails racial minorities' and women's ability to challenge pay discrimination. Obama will also pass the Fair Pay Act to ensure that women receive equal pay for equal work and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.

~ i don't believe that anyone has the right to say who an employer can or can not discriminate against when hiring. if it is YOUR business that you have made, than it is YOUR say so, no matter who disagrees with it. you hire someone less qualified simply bc their white and and not the black fella even though he is more qualified, the consequences to your biased decision will be natural. also, in this day and age (not everywhere) but if something were made known, your business could suffer in profits. this is natural consequences and we don't need a law making additional consequences that ppl WILL abuse.

*Expand Hate Crimes Statutes
Obama will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation, expand hate crimes protection by passing the Matthew Shepherd Act, and reinvigorate enforcement at the Department of Justice's Criminal Section.

~ ya kill (not including self defense), you steal, you rape, you torture, you do anything that violates anothers right to life and you should be punished. determining whether someone did it out of hate is stupid since noone can read intentions (we can guess what a persons intentions are, yes, but you can't always say for sure). therefore i see this as being a very dangerous thing to support.

PLUS, THIS DOESN'T LINE UP WITH THE LOGIC ON THE FOLLOWING ISSUE HE IS FOR:

*Eliminate Sentencing Disparities
Obama believes the disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based coc aine is wrong and should be completely eliminated.

why does he support this? i mean, if you think there is no difference btw consuming crack as opposed to coc aine, then what is the difference btw someone stealing from someone whether they did it out of hate or out of selfish reasons. a persons property is still their property!

*Help Americans Grab a Hold of and Climb the Job Ladder: Obama will invest $1 billion over five years in transitional jobs and career pathway programs that implement proven methods of helping low-income Americans succeed in the workforce.

~ now this SOUNDS good, but my question is will this $1 billion come out of HIS pocket or mine, the tax payer. because how is it prudent for him to promise my money that i have had to work hard to help others who have just the same opportunity that i do. get an education on your own... government grants are available to ppl like me and when starting this journey as a single mom, i was basically bottom of the rung and i have managed to make it through.

most ppl are "suffering" from poverty in this country due to two reasons:

1. bc they won't get off their lazy arses and do what they need to do in order to survive off their own earnings

2. bc taxes are getting pushed up in order to accomidate for group 1

*Reduce Crime Recidivism by Providing Ex-Offender Supports: Obama will work to ensure that ex-offenders have access to job training, substance abuse and mental health counseling, and employment opportunities. Obama will also create a prison-to-work incentive program and reduce barriers to employment.

this is already in effect in my state. in fact, my bro in law who was sent to prison on drug related offensives (smoking pot
) for a long time was offered a job helping other ex offenders and he has moved up to where now he is going to meetings w/ top officials in this state on behalf of ex offenders. this is nothing that obama can be accredited for.

he would be better off helping to legalize drugs so that ppl have more personal accountability in their hands and should they commit a crime ON the drugs, then they can go through this program THAT ALREADY EXISTS.

I'LL stop here for now, as i am not looking to piss anyone off. these are just a FEW of the issues that stink
that obama has up on his site.

he can go to all the fancy universities he wants and do all the community service he wants, but he still sounds like a politician who is trying to blow smoke up our arses.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Bills / Amendments Passed

S.AMDT.1041 to S.1082 To improve the safety and efficacy of genetic tests.
S.AMDT.3073 to H.R.1585 To provide for transparency and accountability in military and security contracting.
S.AMDT.3078 to H.R.1585 Relating to administrative separations of members of the Armed Forces for personality disorder.
S.AMDT.41 to S.1 To require lobbyists to disclose the candidates, leadership PACs, or political parties for whom they collect or arrange contributions, and the aggregate amount of the contributions collected or arranged.
S.AMDT.524 to S.CON.RES.21 To provide $100 million for the Summer Term Education Program supporting summer learning opportunities for low-income students in the early grades to lessen summer learning losses that contribute to the achievement gaps separating low-income students from their middle-class peers.
S.AMDT.599 to S.CON.RES.21 To add $200 million for Function 270 (Energy) for the demonstration and monitoring of carbon capture and sequestration technology by the Department of Energy.
S.AMDT.905 to S.761 To require the Director of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering Education to establish a program to recruit and provide mentors for women and underrepresented minorities who are interested in careers in mathematics, science, and engineering.
S.AMDT.923 to S.761 To expand the pipeline of individuals entering the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields to support United States innovation and competitiveness.
S.AMDT.924 to S.761 To establish summer term education programs.
S.AMDT.2519 to H.R.2638 To provide that one of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5 million or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee certifies in writing to the agency awarding the contract or grant that the contractor or grantee owes no past due Federal tax liability.
S.AMDT.2588 to H.R.976 To provide certain employment protections for family members who are caring for members of the Armed Forces recovering from illnesses and injuries incurred on active duty.
S.AMDT.2658 to H.R.2642 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
S.AMDT.2692 to H.R.2764 To require a comprehensive nuclear threat reduction and security plan.
S.AMDT.2799 to H.R.3074 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
S.AMDT.3137 to H.R.3222 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
S.AMDT.3234 to H.R.3093 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
S.AMDT.3331 to H.R.3043 To provide that none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to enter into a contract in an amount greater than $5,000,000 or to award a grant in excess of such amount unless the prospective contractor or grantee makes certain certifications regarding Federal tax liability.
Senate Resolutions Passed:
S.RES.133 : A resolution celebrating the life of Bishop Gilbert Earl Patterson.
S.RES.268 : A resolution designating July 12, 2007, as “National Summer Learning Day”.

Other Bills Introduced

S.J.RES.23: A joint resolution clarifying that the use of force against Iran is not authorized by the Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq, any resolution previously adopted, or any other provision of law.
S. 453: Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act of 2007. The Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Prevention Act of 2007 (H.R.1281), (S.453), would establish criminal penalties for acts of voter deception. Those who knowingly disseminate false information with the intention of keeping others from voting would face up to five years in prison under the legislation. The Act was sponsored by Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) and 60 cosponsors in the House, and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and 15 cosponsors in the Senate. (20 Cosponsors)
S. 2030: A bill to amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to require reporting relating to bundled contributions made by persons other than registered lobbyists. (1 Cosponsor)
S. 2111: Positive Behavior for Effective Schools Act. A bill to amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to allow State educational agencies, local educational agencies, and schools to increase implementation of early intervention services, particularly school-wide positive behavior supports. (3 Cosponsors)
S. 2066: Back to School: Improving Standards for Nutrition and Physical Education in Schools Act of 2007. A bill to establish nutrition and physical education standards for schools.
S. Con. Res. 46: A concurrent resolution supporting the goals and ideals of Sickle Cell Disease Awareness Month
S. 2044: Independent Contractor Proper Classification Act of 2007. A bill to provide procedures for the proper classification of employees and independent contractors, and for other purposes. (6 Cosponsors)
S. 2519: Contracting and Tax Accountability Act of 2007. A bill to prohibit the awarding of a contract or grant in excess of the simplified acquisition threshold unless the prospective contractor or grantee certifies in writing to the agency awarding the contract or grant that the contractor or grantee has no seriously delinquent tax debts, and for other purposes.
S. 2433: Global Poverty Act of 2007. A bill to require the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to further the United States foreign policy objective of promoting the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goal of reducing by one-half the proportion of people worldwide, between 1990 and 2015, who live on less than $1 per day. (9 Cosponsors)
S. 2330: Veterans Homelessness Prevention Act. A bill to authorize a pilot program within the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development with the goal of preventing at-risk veterans and veteran families from falling into homelessness, and for other purposes. (1 Cosponsor)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
www.opencongress.org...

here is where you go to find EVERYTHING you need to know about what this senator has done. seems to me i have done more homework than most of the supporting fans.

now, i would suggest you do as i have done and take the time to really look through each thing this senator has been involved with. use logic and use the founding principles upon which this country was built in deciding if the various "projects" are REALLY in our best interests.

at this point, now his accomplishments are not debateable in my mind so much as the issues.

"can you not type and do a google search"
damn straight i can!
and i can post to so the info can be shared with all!

issues anyone?

[edit on 1-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Doesn't winning the democratic party's nomination for president, against a *Clinton* no less, count as an achievement? Obama represents a movement, he is bigger than himself. Power is meant to shift in this country. Karl Rove's permanent majority is already over.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

If you boiled that list down to bills and resolutions that Obama sponsored or at least served in a leadership role, it would be a lot more meaningful in terms of this thread. Any "back bencher" can push the yea or no buttons without giving the bill they're voting on a single thought.

[edit on 7/1/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
As much as I think this system is fixed which it is seeing you pretty damn well be RICH to run for and get elected to any office that counts....Does anyone dis-agree here? I don't support Republican nor Democrats but I can tell you one thing right now.... Is I say "F" it....As of now we have had NOT ONE African American president....And as of NOW this country is going through some economic troubles...And as far as I can see every other president we have had has had something to do with where we are..and guess what they were all mighty whitey..So I say give the guy a shot cause I gotta tell ya this country needs something new....And he is about as new as it gets to our political system. Yea he I'm sure is going to be a dog and pony show for all you people who insist on re-electing the same two parties..So Why not? Cause every other president these two parties have given us have stunk up the country to where we are now. Maybe next time some of you who "bleed" red and blue will get a clue and put another party in power so the country isn't tied up in this bi-opoly you guys call our government.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Why do people think Obama will 'change' things for the better?
Everything he supports will either raise taxes, increase government spending or increase government regulation. Hooray, I can't wait to be suffocated.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jazy510

are you saying this is really a reason that i (or any other undecided) should take into consideration when a choosing a candidate who REPRESENTS our country?

i should take into consideration the fact that he "beat" his opponent hillary clinton, who come on, is a joke as well... now, i like her ambition and she can fight like a man,
but still is a politician like the rest of em and apathetic to us and what this country stands for... but i should use this as a factor in deciding who to vote for?

COME ON PPL!!! when did we decide just to lay down and take this bs? when did we quit caring about the REAL issues this country is facing and start basing our decisions on "speeches of change" and whether or not they beat the clintons?

some of you ppl really do scare me.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazy510
Obama represents a movement, he is bigger than himself.

Er, would that then be called the "Barack Movement", or "BM" for short?

Some would think that moniker fits perfectly.

But the real question to you becomes is that the sole or main reason you support Obama, because "Obama represents a movement, he is bigger than himself"? If your answer is yes, then can't you see that this kind of support is based on no substance at all? There's nothing about issues, you're just climbing on the Osama bandwagon because he's popular with other people.

Sad - for people that choose a candidate this way and for the country if we ultimately get stuck with that candidate as an elected official.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

just to clear up any misunderstandings here, basically you are saying you voting for him bc he is black even though you know we're f'ed. right? did i understand this correctly?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

Are these bills that he introduced or bills he just sponsored? Also, how many of these bills are going to cost the taxpayers more money and/or create more bureaucracy and how many are going to save us money? If Obama has the policies to restore our country to its glory days why didn't he introduced them in the Senate when he became a Senator instead of waiting to become President? I am not bashing the guy. These are the same questions I ask about McCain. I just find it ironic that as Senators they had no answers and took little action, but now they have all the solutions._javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

again! ding ding ding! can someone get this winner a cookie?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Why are you repeating yourselves now? I already explained the reasons why im voting for Obama, why is this topic up again? Have you ran out smears or are you trying to keep up the post titles so new members here could be mislead?

Why is it that McCain supporters seem to have no knowledge of his accomplisments other than his POW experience, why is it that the majority of McCain supporters dislike Obama for only personal reasons?

Another right wing hypocrite we got here, theres plenty of em and it just amazes me how much this forum has because infested with them.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

hmmm... didn't get the post that said this site was all about you. must have missed it like i missed the "newbies can't decipher fact from fiction" post.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
How about helping securing loose nuclear weapons with Dick Lugar a republican to secure loose nukes, that do anything for ya, Or in Illinois raising minimum wage, giving 20,000 children health care, going to Palestine facing down the leader of hamas telling them they need to allow Israel to exist

you want to call him an idiot but who here has went to Harvard and headed the Harvard law review.\

The only reason he does not have more accomplishments in the U.S senate is because the majority of his tenure he was operating under a republican majority.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
But what's Obama going to do about the real issues that face the entire country if he gets elected? Things like energy prices and illegal immigration. So, far I've heard nothing, which can only lead me to expect more of the same from this guy who is campaigning on "real change".

I'm looking for a track record here, something more than what Obama said in one speech and then the opposite was said in the next speech to a different audience. Example; the peace at any price crowd thinks Obama is their saviour, but then he goes to Israel and tells them that he will defend them at any cost, and that the iran menace needs to be dealt with strongly. That raises the question of if you believe Obama, how did you decide which position to believe?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by obamafan14

yeah, i had asked for a list of names to prove that the little tikes in illinois really got what they were promised. if someone can decipher that link i posted on the 1st page of this thread, we should be able to track this. (the link is a direct result of obama's doing according to him and his fans
, problem for me is that i didn't graduate from harvard so am having some trouble understanding it)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by obamafan14
How about helping securing loose nuclear weapons with Dick Lugar

How did that turn out? How many loose nukes did they secure?

raising minimum wage

Wasn't this federally mandated?

going to Palestine facing down the leader of hamas telling them they need to allow Israel to exist

Yeah, I'm sure thats how it went down.

you want to call him an idiot but who here has went to Harvard and headed the Harvard law review.

And Bush graduated from Yale University, so what's your point?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
like i said earlier, McCain only has one chance, and time will tell on that one

but, you want another good reason to elect Obama?

Bye Bye Baldwin Bye bye

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join