It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney tops McCain veep list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Romney tops McCain veep list

www.politico.com

In a surprise to many Republican insiders, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is at the top of the vice presidential prospect list for John McCain. But lack of personal chemistry could derail the pick.

“Romney as favorite” is the hot buzz in Republican circles, and top party advisers said the case is compelling.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Choosing Romney as his VP would be political suicide for McCain.

If the religious right hasn't warmed to McCain picking a mormon running mate will really turn them off. McCain must know this.

Its something they have already made abundantly clear.

Huckabbe would be a far better choice for McCain for that very reason.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I haven't looked at the state-by-state polling in the last couple of weeks, but the last time I did, it seemed to indicate that Romney would indeed be the best choice. Romney would help McCain where he needs it most, in midwestern states such as Michigan. I don't think his presence on the ticket will present any additional problem for McCain in the south, where the religious right is at its strongest.

That said, as a conservative, I really don't like Romney much. I don't buy his late-life switch on a number of positions. It won't factor much at all in my decision this fall if he's the choice, but had he actually been the presidential nominee, I probably would've voted 3rd party.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
However given the fact that many conservatives are tepid at best about McCain and the religious right doesn't trust him... he needs every vote he can get and chosing Romney would aleniate the funnymentalists.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

It might, but then again, it might not. At this point, I think that the portion of fundamentalists that have been offended by McCain's stances have probably already jumped ship. The ones that have stayed this long probably will stick around regardless of the VP pick. The battlelines have been drawn at this point, I think.

If it hurts McCain, I think it'll be among those he's already lost (but who might otherwise be willing to give him a 2nd look), but that said, I think even that effect will be minimal. In the areas where it could hurt him (particularly the south), he has substantial leads and will likely be able to absorb the losses. Meanwhile, it could provide a big advantage in the swing states in the Midwest.

In the end, I think the benefits outweigh the risks for McCain. It pains me to say that because again, I really don't like Romney.

Incidentally, a lot of the Republican voters who don't like McCain at all were Romney supporters in the primaries. There was an odd, fanatical support of the man by the economic conservative die-hards, for some reason I can't explain. Many of those say they would reconsider McCain if Romney is on the ticket. So, the losses among fundamentalists could be mitigated in this manner as well.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by vor78]

new topics

top topics

join