It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Cries Recorded in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I just seen this article about the sounds that Earth gives off in outer space. I find this interesting because maybe this is how Alien civilizations would find a distressed planet. Maybe they look for planets that are giving off a certain sound so that they can come and help the planet survive. What does everyone else think?

Earth emits an ear-piercing series of chirps and whistles that could be heard by any aliens who might be listening, astronomers have discovered.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Aqfv8rjlF5IipJDN6DT44G8DW7oF

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

Sounds like something from FF7, when they're off destroying trying to Sephiroth's meteor.

Cid says:

"I can hear the cries of the planet, it's alone" and stuff like that.

What i actually think is another matter, of course.

It's either;

A) The result of filling our airwaves with invisible energy waves.

B) The planet is indeed, emulating the cries of an infant.

or-

C) It isn't Earth, and it's actually some sort of Alien distress beacon coming from a crashed ship... Perhaps...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Was thinking the same thing - wahhhhhhaaaoooooooooooooooooo........

loved that game..

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

Hey, you know when I first read this, I immediately thought of the Bible and how it's always mentioning the Earth or the heavens making sounds. It might have only been symbolic, but it's interesting nonetheless.

For example:

"1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. 2 Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. 3 There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. 4 Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world..."

Psalm 19:1-6

and also:

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

Romans 8:22

I also found this about the Greek mathematician Pythagoras:

One of Pythagoras’s main theories, which Kepler used, was that planets in motion create a noise which may be described as a musical note. Taken together the notes produced by the seven planetary orbits produced a chord which was described as the ‘Harmony of the Spheres’. From this concept comes the idea, expressed by Plato, that the study of music was the highest expression of philosophical (and hence astrological) practice.

www.nickcampion.com

Definitely very interesting!

Maybe this is what these scientists are discovering? That the Earth and other planets can actually create sounds. If it's true about Pythagoras's theories that when a planet in motion can create noises that sound like music, then that would be really interesting. Especially because the scientists in the article say that the sound coming from Earth is awful, because that might mean that Earth is in pain and we might somehow be the ones to be blame eg. all the pollution, deforesting etc.

Just my opinion

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I know I'm probably just being paranoid but, when I click on news.yahoo link my personal info comes up in header. Would someone pretty please tell me they are not seeing this on link.
Thanks
John

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

you are logged into yahoo.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sound requires air to travel, space - vaccuum - has little to no air .... so how is the earth heard again? Maybe EM waves? But those could be from a gazillion EM sources - all man made.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Could it be pressure being released into outer space? Like earths farts or something?

When you go underwater you can hear strange sounds too that are not able to be detected from above the waters surface.

I dont know, I cry for the earth sometimes, I would not doubt she is crying too.

This will really keep me thinking, star for bringing this to the forum

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Did anyone even fully read the article? I mean I believe in a living earth, but from what I read in the article, the sounds are just created "high above the planet, where charged particles from the solar wind collide with Earth's magnetic field. It is related to the phenomenon that generates the colorful aurora, or Northern Lights."

That isn't to say that we can't learn a thing or two about this phenomena. This sound may actually help us learn more about the current status of the earth, if the sounds created by this phenomena sounds erratic or different, then we know Earth is going through big/drastic changes, maybe polar shifts or major natural occurrences that my effect the earth electromagnetic fields.

I'm sorry if I'm under this impression, and I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but I feel that you guys just pretty much read the title of the article without reading then content and go about posting. Publishers tends to make up catchy title somewhat relevant to the article to catch the reader's attention, it doesn't give you the whole gist of what the article is really about.

What I'm curious is how can these things be heard, since if I recall back in physics, sound can't travel in a vacuum.

EDIT: Oh wait....the occurrences emits radio waves....nevermind then.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyblueff0
Did anyone even fully read the article? I mean I believe in a living earth, but from what I read in the article, the sounds are just created "high above the planet, where charged particles from the solar wind collide with Earth's magnetic field. It is related to the phenomenon that generates the colorful aurora, or Northern Lights."

[edit on 2-7-2008 by skyblueff0]

right. lol this is a sound that has been heard, only on a much quieter scale by some ppl in alaska when the northern lights are at their brightest. there are audios of it online. it is a very eerie sound, no doubt, but natural nonetheless.

awesome link and ty for sharing. just wish the guy wasn't talking over the sound on the audio.

new topics

top topics

join