It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest Temptation in the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
The greatest temptation in the world for me has so far been the desire to accept organised religion (of any form) and allow it to become my guiding light. Funny since we are told to resist temptation. How great it would be to get all my answers from a book, to have all my problems solved and to know how to proceed in the correct manner. It amazes me in this day and age the ignorance of people and the hold that religion has over the mind. You only have to look at human nature to realise why religion can be. I believe entirely in the spiritual but I'll stand up and take all the fear and pain in the world before I allow someone to bubble wrap my world and try to explain to me why things happen the way they do. I have the most phenomenal forces on my side - consciousness and thought. And I choose to use them.

Th8nker

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Th8nker]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Actually, if you want to really find knowledge of spirituality you really have to just switch off, meditate. Perhaps under a 528Hz sound? It will come to you if you have an open mind... and empty it for a bit in a calm environment.

Everyone has a pineal gland, just get the rust off it

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've found I'm really good at switching off my thoughts, blanking my mind and stopping the residual thoughts of the day. Meditation is still something I'm learning though. I'm quite interested in remote viewing at the moment but am not great at it and cannot really get past the point of believing my correct hits are simply coincidence. Its also not really a spiritual path either. More an extension of ability. Tell me more about this 528Hz sound though. I've never heard of its use before. I'm still waiting for that meditation experience that will blow my mind!!!

Th8nker

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
About the 528hz thing... well... search youtube for it, you'll find a more detail explanation and links there, as well as the videos themselves. Meditation takes time, I've done it on and off for years and only in recent years has the experience seemed to change somewhat, so do realise it's a commitment.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Zepherian]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I hear you. I am tempted to let myself be embraced by organized religion. People who really believe have a peace about them that I envy. They "know" they will go to heaven - How great is that?

Alas, I can't stop asking the big questions. Perhaps I could let go but in those still moments I'd still end up asking and and not accepting by faith alone.

For me it is just easier to be an Atheist even though I don't really think Iam in the true sense of the word.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think we must be sensible and recognise that what we know of the universe to date has not provided us the big answers we are looking for and that search goes on. Therefore, it is safe to say that it is the unknown and the misunderstood that we will eventually find our truths. I've restrain myself these days from holding onto single truths and prefer to explain things as lists of possibilities. Truth is relative so it helps keep me open to everything.

Organised religion though! That topic is very questionable in my world as its not something I can trust. I wouldn't say I'm an athiest in any sense but I don't rule out that there may indeed be nothing at all.

Th8nker

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Organized religion, because it relies on man to interpret and facilitate worship can be a detriment to faith and Jesus.
When I first became a Christian, I didn't know what to do.
My sister took me to a church, the pastor gave me some items, booklets that were VERY useful.
I knew I should be baptized as a next step.(from reading a booklet)

So, I called him and told him. He told me, "When I give the alter call next Sunday, pretend as if we've never talked and come up front and ask me to baptize you."

I thought That's weird, but Lord if you want me to.....
That Sunday I had family with me for the service.
I felt funny and prayed."Lord, if you don't want me to do this, don't let him give an alter call."

He DIDN'T and we went home. The preacher had wanted me to lie. Something wrong with that. You can never put all your trust in man, because of ego, lust, etc.....

(His church got better later, when I went back to visit.)
I found the right church and got baptized. I have NEVER found a perfect church and I won't on this earth. People can get crazy doctrine, they can get caught up in who is dressed the best, makes the most $$$. Preachers can get greedy. It can happen.
I got saved with just Jesus, God and I. When things get bad, I still have us.
But, we're still supposed to get together with Christian family, warts and all.
There are many sincere, humble folks. It's just the ego-filled, hateful ones who get the most attention.

Other Christians have been there for me many times and I wouldn't have had that if I didn't go.
I used to have agoraphobia, so much so, that I couldn't work. Before I got saved.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm glad you can use your Christianity as a guide in your life. As much as I'm opposed to organised religion, I still recognise its place in the world. Some people like you say are completely fanatical about it. It seems however you have a very level head with where you're at in your faith and thats a great thing. I did try Christianity for a few years but it just didn't hold water for me in the end. I actually believe it slowed my spiritual progress down but I suppose the search for truth is one each of us must ultimately take alone. Hey, maybe one day, I'll come back to you and tell you I was totally wrong about all of this!

Th8nker

top topics

join