It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hands Free in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Fines: First conviction, $20; repeat offenders, $50 a pop. And administrative fees can more than triple the fine amount.

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2008/07/01/MNCF11HKF5.DTL

Alas, the celly law has finally come into effect. Though I always let people know when they are driving extremely ignorantly while using the cell, I can't help the hypocrisy and annoyance I will feel. I, myself, use the cellphone without a hands-free kit, but I (of course I think this like every driver out :lol
drive on point no matter what.

There is also a law that forbids cigarettes from being smoked in a car with anyone under the age of 18. I understand this one, though I am a smoker myself.

When do restrictions start to impede?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
People that drive while on the phone really irks. If it's not an emergency, which you can tell by their laughing and such, get off the phone. Please. This world does not revolve around you and you are driving a few tons of metal around.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
People drive bad enough when they have most of their attention and care on driving... this gets cut by more than 3/4s (my own estimates) when they are on the phone, where only their subconscious is really driving. This subconscious that is driving does not have the fastest inputs...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I tend to think I drive safe even on the cellphone, as the conversation comes after my brainpower and body is already dedicated to the driving experience, so maybe my conversation will be a bit more of listening and quiet but my driving will be barely under full capacity.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
And astro, you stay off your cellphone too! You are a hazard no matter how good you think you drive!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
well the law's been in effect since the start of the month i suppose? I've been using a hands-free headset for about 3 years now. I still get distracted but not as much as lets say, looking for a specific song on my ipod or...trying to eat a bagel. Now however, in the past two weeks I've avoided several crashes because stupid people were on their cells sans a headset. And of course they get pissed off because i honk at them for being stupid drivers but come on, not everyone can multitask, like listening to music and reading. I really don't see the law requiring to use headsets as a bad thing, I welcome it

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It's a stupid law, why not ban eating, tunning the radio, makeup, oh hold on,, where is my ear peice , looking around, eyes off the road,, get it,, Dumb laws.. studies have shown people pay better attention to the road wile talking on the phone, rather they day dreaming as they look around..

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Isnt this why we have insurance in the first place?
if a driver gets in an accident while using a cell phone, his
insurance will take care of the cost, his rates will go up and hopefully
he will drive safer or be stuck with the high rates. he's
allready punished.

just another stupid law to get peoples money, even the
good drivers.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The conversation is the distraction, not holding the phone. So the law is pointless. If you become engaged in an in-depth conversation, your brain resources become dedicated to that task and will not process even vital information such as a child dashing into the street, a traffic light change, etc. The more intense the conversation, the less you will notice the conditions around you.

Ever see two people in a car fighting, and the driver does something stupid? Not out of rage, but just because they are so caught up in the fight they are having. Same thing with talking on the phone, but even worse really. Because at least a person in the car with you will probably shut up for a second when a semi crosses your lane.

The brain's processing ability can be put to the test at any time when you are driving. Talking on the phone will lead you to fail that test when it comes. Light changes, rain starts, kid darts into street, someone blows horn, you hear a clunk under your car and wonder if you hit something or if the car needs a repair, there is a siren in the distance, you have to turn left here, the sun is glaring, there is a sign warning of a flagman ahead. Now what is your brain going to miss out of all that information at once? Now what one or two things will you actually notice if you're in the middle of some sexy talk on the phone, or finding out that you just lost your shirt in the stock market via detailed text message?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 22-250

studies have shown people pay better attention to the road wile talking on the phone

I hope you're kidding. Please show me those studies. Daydreaming is dangerous too I admit, but talking on the phone certainly does not help one concentrate any more than playing a video game while you're driving.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The brain's processing ability can be put to the test at any time when you are driving. Talking on the phone will lead you to fail that test when it comes. Light changes, rain starts, kid darts into street, someone blows horn, you hear a clunk under your car and wonder if you hit something or if the car needs a repair, there is a siren in the distance, you have to turn left here, the sun is glaring, there is a sign warning of a flagman ahead. Now what is your brain going to miss out of all that information at once? Now what one or two things will you actually notice if you're in the middle of some sexy talk on the phone, or finding out that you just lost your shirt in the stock market via detailed text message?

This is the whole point about driving. When I took Driver's Ed in high school, the teacher pointed out that a driver averages 200+ decisions every minute...Yes, even after 30 years since then, I still remember that. A lot of brain power, wouldn't you say? So what happens when some of your brain power is on a phone conversation? Your ability to drive is impaired...Not maybe impaired, but is.

In police reports after accidents, they have to list every circumstance that they can identify as a possible factor in the cause of an accident...Yet, what does not get considered is that all of those probable causes can be laid directly at the foot of "distraction while driving."

[edit on 16-7-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

top topics

join