It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Large Hadron Collider Produced A Microscopic Black Hole, It Probably Wouldn't Matter

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

If The Large Hadron Collider Produced A Microscopic Black Hole, It Probably Wouldn't Matter

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (June 30, 2008) — Particle colliders creating black holes that could devour the Earth. Sounds like a great Hollywood script. But, according to UC Santa Barbara Physics Professor Steve Giddings, it's pure fiction.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder why scientist try to sound or appear like they are in control or know the cause and effect of everything. This guy makes it sound lke creating black holes here on earth is something like making eggs for breakfast. Now, his best educated guess clearly would be more informed than mine but still a guess is a guess.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Thats my point!!! I have been following this issue for some time now and it seems very clear to me that the camps are divided of those who say is safe and those who say it might not be, so how this guy can come out saying that theere is zero, nada. no chance of nothing bad going wrong, heck I do simple little things daily at my job that can kill me or pose a threat to others if I dont do them well...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The sorts of high-energy reactions that the LHC will create have occurred in Earth's upper atmosphere for billions of years and have not destroyed the planet. The reason we need the LHC on the ground is so we can observe and control those reactions. If something bad was going to happen, it would have a long, long time ago.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If a black hole appears near the center of our Earth no matter the size, would trigger an enormous gravi-metric burst, then we would be sucked into....who knows?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoterica

I will admit that I'm not that educated on the subject matter, but scientist sometimes speak of stuff that they dont fully understand also, so why hurry to test something that many well educated people in the scientific community also warn that it could be disastrous. On the other hand this could be a repeat of what took place when the atom bomb was been built where you also had many people talking about doomsday scenarios that didnt realize, either way I rather be on the safe side.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CommanderSinclair

Well any possible black hole is gonna be something like 100 meters below the surface - not near the centre of the Earth.

And any way - if the world was destroyed we should all feel lucky, we will be the only generation to witness that sort of thing... It'll be something you can tell your grand kids

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I completley agree with everyone so far, and you gotta remember here that that the whole justification for scientific research is because scientists don't know what they will discover next. What is likely to happen? what is unlikely to happen? WHO KNOWS?

There's an interesting thread I've been keeping tabs on and responding to here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...'
Some people think that this concept would break (or at least come close to breaking) the second law of thermodynamics. (However, this is not related to the LHC except perhaps in theory)

It sounded to me alot like the world's largest laser they're currently installing in Livermore, California called the National Ignition Facility (NIF). This thing is going to be friggin insane.. The photos are also extremely impressive but not as near as impressive as some of the photos of the LHC.

Info. on the NIF laser

NIF in discover magazine article

Photos of CERN (although many of us have already seen them, they are jaw-dropping).

LHC PHOTO 1
LHC PHOTO 2
LHC PHOTO 3

-ChriS

[edit on 30-6-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 30-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
HOLD THE F UP!

You tellin' me we can create microscopic blackholes but we can't develop cheap renewable energy?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
From the NIF site, 'The resulting fusion reaction will release many times more energy than the laser energy required to initiate the reaction.' Isn't that free energy? Or no because nuclear power is involed.
Also, the self-sustaining nature of the NIF reminds me a lot of that Spider Man movie with the Octopus guy, and we all know how THAT one turned out, don't we?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Maybe it's got that atom sorter demon helpin out hehe.

Perhaps it only needs the inital startup energy, after that it does its thing.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

And 6 billion dollars of research for that, for an experiment that we dont know that could destroy all we have, well it would be nice to know that if we all go, the oil mafia and the NWO would go with us too.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Well, from what I've been reading is this..
There is hope that through such fusion research a new, extremely efficient form of energy will be discovered. The NIF laser is pretty much finished, but the full scale testing doesn't take place until next year.

The problem is being able to get OUT more energy than they need to put IN to create this unique fusion reaction. But scientists are hopeful that their research will discover a new form of nuclear energy that is extremely efficient and economically viable enough to be another big new alternative to current energy sources.

Although we already have the technology to make complex wind-farms a huge help to the energy debacle, yet you don't see huge wind-farms being built anywhere. And the Bush administration has done next to nothing to prepare this country for an eventual energy crisis after 8 years being in the white house. People have to take matters into their own hands now which includes people having to shell out pretty hefty amounts of money to renovate and make their homes more energy efficient. This is a huge issue here in interior alaska, where I live, because the energy/oil situation is magnified here. Here, people don't just have to pay some of the highest gas prices in the union for their vehicles. They also have EXTREMELY hightened prices for fuel-oil which is absolutely critical to survival up here in the winter. Fuel-oil is expected to be 8-9 dollars a gallon up here this Winter.. Here, this situation isn't just about how it hits us in the pocketbook. Having fuel oil or not having fuel-oil can easily be a matter of living or dying.

Fortunately, the city of Fairbanks has started programs that give people incentive for making their homes more fuel-efficient. There is also a new program run by the city which allows homeowners to maximize energy efficiency while saving as much money as possible. But this problem is not about to go away.. Especially for us in Alaska.

You should see my neighbor's yard.. This is a photo I took the other day. Alot of people up here are pretty pissed off. This guy is preparing for the worst (as well as alot of other people I know).

-ChriS

[edit on 1-7-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Well, the thing about all this is...

...they still haven't gotten themselves "set" on what is the correct model for the universe. The majority thinks the Standard Model is how things are, but we're still looking for the Higgs boson, which means it's not complete and they aren't sure. They don't know that they won't find half a dozen new particles as well as the Higgs boson, they just haven't predicted them.

This means that the key word to look out for is "probably". As in, "we probably won't destroy the earth".

Is probably enough of a guarentee when it's everyone's lives on the line? Well, it is for these guys.

This then leads to the question: just because we can, does that mean we should?

Sun Tzu said that a great general knows when to give battle and when not too, and this philosophy is true for scientists, IMO. We can create all the human clones we want, but we don't, because we know better. Is this one of those things we should know better about?

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Personally, I think if this was to go horribly wrong and wipe us all out, it would be the single greatest thing we have ever done. Our one positive accomplishment.

I don't think anything will happen. The rulers of this planet wouldn't allow it to occur if even the top scientist wasn't 110% sure it wouldn't destroy the planet. Their underground bunkers can't protect them from the world being ripped to shreds.

I guess we can only hope our arrogance finally catches up with us and we make the one judgment call that ends our tyrannical reign on Earth.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
, well it would be nice to know that if we all go, the oil mafia and the NWO would go with us too.

maybe that's what they want us to think, and this is all a plan by them to conduct population control, because they have some sort of device or barrier to protect them...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hrrm...

Theories are theories.

As a scientist myself, it makes me wonder how others of my profession can make such assumptions without any proven results.

I don't have much background in this particular area though.

Either way, I think the LHC will lead to great discoveries.

Its funny when you compare such endeavours to stem cell research.

Where are the pro-matter people?

[edit on 1-7-2008 by seenitall]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Scientists can make calculations and guesses to their hearts content, but until they actually do something they'll never find out for sure. Look at Oppenheimer testing the first atomic bomb. He didn't know what was going to happen..he thought a single device could've destroyed the world...
Yes a black hole is a very dangerous occurance , even a microscopic one will have gravitational forces within it, but until they do it they'll keep trying to understand the universe by fair means or foul.
I for one think it'll be born then in a microsecond collapse in on itself leaving the scientists baffled with no clue but a little data to work with, then they'll do it again and again, building bigger more efficient colliders until the blackholes will be a danger. Look at the nuclear weapons we have today, We started with a small one now we have thousands that are hundreds of times more powerful and in a smaller casing. The same can and will be said for colliders. More powerful means bigger blackholes , then one day they'll create a blackhole large and stable enough to suck in the lab . .SCHCHLLLUUPPP!!!!!!!!!!pop!!!!

[edit on 1/7/2008 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Atoms contain a high amount of energy (it takes alot of energy to hold an atom together). Fission occurs when you break an atom apart, fusion occurs when you smash them together tof orm a new, larger atom. In both cases, large amount of energy are released. Large is not even the right word, astronomically high amounts of energy are release. This is why atomic weapons are so powerful, and why theoretical fusion generators would create so much energy.

Fusion is a self-sustaining process, conceptually like a fire. You don't need to keep adding heat to a fire to keep it going, just enough to start the reaction.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join