It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do Our Souls Come From?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I have pondered on the many theories of where our soul or spirit comes from.

Some say a soul or spirit is our intelligence and that we have existed forever.

Some say that our soul or spirit was organized, created and placed into physical.

Some say our soul or spirit is a mere program that someone created such as artificial intelligence.

There are many theories on what the soul or spirit is and where it comes from?

What do you think?

Does our soul or spirit continue on forever and has it existed forever or was it created by other highly evolved beings such as extraterrestrials or light beings or God?

Appreciate the feedback!

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Alien_Question]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
First we should try to figure out what the soul is and make sure we don't confuse it with spirit, those are technically two different things.

In fact I would not be surprised if there are multiple levels of what makes us, Us. Simplifying down to just body and soul may be an oversimplification.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

"First we should try to figure out what the soul is and make sure we don't confuse it with spirit, those are technically two different things."

Please explain?

What is the spirit and what is the soul if they are two different things?

I'm not dis-agreeing with you only trying to understand. I'm not sure what the soul or spirit is to be honest other than our personality and the intelligence we possess perhaps.

So my real question is how did we ever come to existence in the first place? Where did we originate from, was our spirit created or has it existed forever?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think spirit is the astral body. Soul is consciousness. The first level of individualization of the one being that is behind everything.. God if you will.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Please. Define soul. Not to be nitpicky, but you need a clear and definite agreement on what something is before you can seriously start asking about other details of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

"Please. Define soul. Not to be nitpicky, but you need a clear and definite agreement on what something is before you can seriously start asking about other details of it."

Exactly, who can really say?

Can you define what the soul is?

My guess is that our soul is who we really are or have been forever, perhaps our sub-conscious intellgence minds or something like that but who can really say.

"Please define soul"

That is why I'm asking in the first place...lol

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien_Question

So you're just asking a philosophical rhetorical question? Okay

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Souls and spirits were created. The soul is for bringing on death to something organic. The spirit is for bring on life to something organic. Put them together and it's as we are living to die or dieing to live in a balancing act.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Before we set off on the quest for determining the properties and purpose of soul, it would prudent to actually verify that we do indeed possess a soul, don't you think? I mean first things first, surely?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Very interesting question .
I decided , based largely on my faith , to look to the Bible for the first reference of the word soul , which is found in Genesis 2:7

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul .
My search then lead me to search for a literal translation directly from Hebrew , I then found this translation

and·he-is-forming Yahweh Elohim » the·human soil from the·ground and·he-is-blowin
in·nostrils-of·him breath-of lives and·he-is-becoming the·human to·soul living

Having read the two versions It seems that as per the Bible , the soul and man are linked , we are one with the other and are not when one of those things are removed from the other .
However having read that , I cant but help wonder , does mankind share the one human soul ? Or do we each have our own ? This could lead back to one of the earlier post's in this thread regarding the soul and spirit of being two separate entities .

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

You sure are making a 'splash' on ATS aren't you?You are chalk full of questions and information!Keep up the good work!(Starred and Flagged)

As fo what a 'soul' is,I don't know-our true self?Our true,energy bases self that is part of God,IMO.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Made in China... liek everything else

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
In Vedic philosophy there are 2 distinct aspects of the soul. The Jivatman and the Paramatman. The Jivatman represents the soul of an individual life. It is what we learn while we're on this earth, and experiencing their life. When a body dies, the Jivatman awakes and realizes itself as the Paramatman, which is the value of the soul with all of the lives that it's ever lived.

The Paramatman will take the life into context, understanding it's experience as but a single part in a whole eternity of experience and existence.

The Paramatman is just a subset of the Brahman, or the universal spirit to which we all are a part. As each of us gains an experience, we add to the the one spirit, and add to its perfection.

At least that's what some believe.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

"Made in China... liek everything else "

Somehow I think your right, it's as if I've always known that deep down inside!

China, hmmm
Sad but true!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'll tell ya where they come from, Isle 12 at K-Mart next to the Zombie cream.

Well, I think some where along the line the 'soul' kind of grows, or its earned through lifes double dare like challenges. I don't think your born with one or are given one. But earned one in time, built like a house. If that all makes any since to anyone else. If it dosent, watch the Simpson's episode where Bart sell's his soul to Millhouse, I think Lisa's explanation in the episode is a very wise one.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

So for those who believe in Genesis, perhaps this suggests that man became a living soul only after he received the breath of life.

So again the theory here is that our soul was created by the Nostrils of God.

So what about our spirit, do you think it was placed inside the body formed of the dust of the ground upon God breathing into man the breath of life?

I'm unsure on what I believe just searching for answers and more feedback on the subject thus the reason why I posted this question.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
That passage is a metaphore,and very likely did not happen like that.I see it like this;soul=spirit,spirit=soul...........we were created because God exists.His power is so all encompassing that we HAD to be created to 'balance out the equation',so to say.God HAD to grow(it is just how he(it) exists),so we are all a part of God,God is a part of us,thus our soul(or spirit,whatever you wana call it) is an extension of Gods energy and being(thats all ANYTHING is in reality,ENERGY in the form of MATTER).Thats what that passage tries to relate to the primitive mind IMHO.God(no pun intended), I can make a Stephen King novel look like a Dr.Suss book can't I?
Simplified:GOD=US,US=GOD....................You see how simple(and brilliant)existence is?You see the 'balance of the equation!'

a+2=3
*Subtract two FROM BOTH SIDES
a=1

It is as simple as elementary algebra,we just make it hard!~JKrog

[edit on 6/30/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

God HAD to grow(it is just how he(it) exists),so we are all a part of God,God is a part of us,thus our soul(or spirit,whatever you wana call it) is an extension of Gods energy and being(thats all ANYTHING is in reality,ENERGY in the form of MATTER).

Jkrog08, nice addition
I've thought about that theory myself many times. I also do not believe we just came out of nothing from dust but rather evolved from something instead of being just formed from nothing or dust alone. I mean perhaps originally all things are created or come from dust and living organisms however we evolved from something I believe and were genetically altered or created over time in that sense.

From what evidence is out there based on all the theories it's for sure someone in the stars has and is taking the time to watch over our evolution including make adjustments to our DNA when necessary!
There is no other explanation that fits in my opinion considering all the possibilities.
(Just my opinion)

p.s. I have a problem with my U2U or would have replied to you by now, as soon as I can figure it out I will get back to you on your last message!
Sorry for mixing you up with Timothy. lol

[edit on 1-7-2008 by Alien_Question]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

No problem:up
u2u,post)

Just think DUST=MATTER(METHAPHORES)

Peace out,I'm done for the night(12:22 am here),sedatives starting to take effet.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
A soul, would be what would ascend into heaven, or paradise if your religious, it's what retains everything your brain does after you die, although I think the thought of having a "soul" is pretty far fetched. A computer, is a big brain, each piece of hardware working together to preform tasks, when you turn of your computer it stops thinking, but it doesn't ascend into heaven. When you die your brain stops receiving oxygen and stops working you no longer can think, remember, feel, or do anything really, twitch from nerves thats about it. So to say you have a supernatural soul is bologna, a soul to me would be your conscience its what makes you who you are but does not live farther from you then your brain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join