It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people really grasp how special our "high intelligence" is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It seems to me the prevailing idea about extraterrestrial lifeforms is that the universe is boiling over the sides with beings which are thousands, if not millions, of years ahead of us socially and technologically. By comparison we would seem to them as simple knuckle-dragging beasts of the fields. The flip side could be that life exists in abundance out there, but we are the most highly evolved species in the universe. Many scientists hold that opinion. The variables and circumstances leading to the evolution of our brains is nothing short of miraculous. When I hear all these stories about "Reptillians" and the like I find it hilarious. Reptiles have none of the traits you would expect to see a higher intelligence evolve from. Mainly, they are not societal creatures..... a main element in evolutionary intelligence. Let's not forget reptiles ruled our Earth for 200 million years and had brains the size of walnuts. They evolved alright..... in to birds, not spacemen. Almost all reptiles surviving now are virtually the same as they were millions of years ago. Natural selection. Survival of the fittest. With no necessity for evolution, there will be none.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think, perhaps, our "high intelligence" may not be as high, nor special, as some people like to think it is in the universe. Even on earth, there is a huge variance in intelligences among humans.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
face it, humans are not that high on intelligence.

there might be animals that are smarter than us, a lot of animals are telepathic.

What ever retarded scientists still think that humans and earth are the center of the universe should be slapped out of their Illuminati brainwashed minds.

You can't say reptilians cant evolve into smart humanoids, on another planet far away it wont be exactly like earth.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
if you think we're smart now, what would the world look like to us when we're using 50% of our brain capacity or even double the amount we use now.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I wonder........ if we might seem as cockroaches do to us, to an evolutionary line that far preceeded ours. I mean, I don't want to pull a cockroach apart, little by little....... to me, even things I loath shouldn't suffer. I won't hesitate to stomp one crossing the floor. That's sort of the feeling I get from many of the descriptions of the "others'" interaction towards humans.

Actually, I think a hivemind might represent a more favorable trait for survival of the species, rather than these pesky individual minds with all their quirky little traits that we all have. Seems like a hivemind would be more toward sacrificing the individual unit for the good of the colony -- no ego. I sure wouldn't want to join one, but I think it'd probably be a more adapted, albeit boring and emotionless species. I dunno. Just speculating.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I get your point, OP, and I think its a good one. We are so far beyond anything else on this planet even, how does that happen?

There is no real evidence of any other life in the last billions of years becoming even close to as mentally capable as we have become in our 100,000 some years. I think our intelligence is special.

So, yes, I think there is a very real possibility that there are MANY creatures out there with higher brain power, but its all relative. If you're surviving, well that's all the brain power your body needs, why evolve past that? Our real difference is this pesky soul we carry around.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I agree.

Even all those people out there with normal (read: average) IQs perform a plethora of astounding feats during the course of any day, even if they are not overly interested in abstractions or the secrets of the universe.

When we consider the species as a whole, we are indeed quite marvelous and we need to respect that fact without hubris.

We have developed complex societies, systems of justice, culture, developed advanced technologies that help to feed us, clothe us, keep us well, allow us to communicate instantly with those on the other side of the globe, walk on our natural satellite, send machines to explore other worlds and report back to us their findings, develop theories about things we've never seen and times we have not lived and to be able to test those theories and correct them as new data is revealed.

We are the only species who has not only dominated the planet, but has attained a level of mastery over it, even if we are still humbled by its power and resilience. We can imagine a future we want to inhabit and make that future come to be reality. We can understand the influence our lives have on posterity and live in such away as to leave a better world than we were born into.

And even in those who deny God, there is that spark of hope and faith that gives us the power over the cosmos and keeps us ever developing both our material realities and our spiritual realities.

It is not just the intelligence of man that makes us unique in our solar system and perhaps the universe. It is the spirit of man.

We have an undeniable control over our destiny, but we are guided by a power that transcends our remarkable understanding. We are not just a species that survives. We are a species that is driven and it is the force that drives us that should truly cause us to marvel.

[edit on 2008/6/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by snookhums

I certainly hope you aren't implying we only use 10% of our brains... That's a pop-culture myth.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
face it, humans are not that high on intelligence.

I beg to differ.

We have no "baseline" comparison other than other animals on our planet. Which, arguably have far more wisdom (even if they aren't conscious of it) than we do.

Furthermore, what is Intelligence? How do you define it in quantifiable means - or even qualitative means?

there might be animals that are smarter than us, a lot of animals are telepathic.

And we are connected by an extra-universal system that is actually an extension of our physiology and is capable of manipulating events in our universe in ways we do not yet completely understand. furthermore, our entire species is preserved in the physics of another universe connected to and influencing our own (which is a combination of two or more universes converging on each other). Thus, even if our entire species is eliminated from this physical universe, it will start bringing about minor fluctuations in the universe to "remanifest" itself.

Let's see the little gray bastards do that.

Of course, I can only show evidence that indicates a correlation with human will with fluctuations in "quantum" events outside of what is considered probable.

What ever retarded scientists still think that humans and earth are the center of the universe should be slapped out of their Illuminati brainwashed minds.

It is a fool that forsakes one form of brainwashing for a system of brainwashing against brainwashing. While humans aren't the center of the universe, we sure as hell have a lot more capacity than many give us credit for. Go ahead and submit to aliens if you wish... perhaps they will train you to go get the news-roid or something and they will give you an orgasm like we pat a dog on the head.

So far, human intelligence has only been shown to be limited by one's own willingness to compete on an intellectual level. If you don't have the drive to compete.... then you will be of lesser intelligence than those around you. If you have that drive - you are only limited by your ambition.

You can't say reptilians cant evolve into smart humanoids, on another planet far away it wont be exactly like earth.

We agree on something. It's rather silly to say that aliens can/can't evolve on other planets when we only have direct experience with our own, and very limited experience with the few that are close to us. We haven't even seen planets outside of our own solar system spare a couple pixels. We have no clue what all kinds of environments exist out there, and we have no clue what all kinds of life there are out there. Life may exist elsewhere in our own sector that is not based on amino acids and proteins - but may be based on crystalline actions/reactions. It may be based on something entirely different - some chemical reactions we've never witnessed before.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I get your point, OP, and I think its a good one. We are so far beyond anything else on this planet even, how does that happen?

Because we are the top of the food chain on this planet. We wouldn't allow another species to rise up. Dinosaurs ruled for 200 million years before a catastrophe killed them out, enabling smaller mammals to flourishs. Also, I wouldn't get too overconfident in your abilities. The average person, if put into the wilderness with no modern technology/tools, would have a very tough time.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

A modern human in the wilderness would not really be at a disadvantage. The main issue we would have is not knowing how to survive. Most people would more than have the ability to live long enough to figure out how to survive for an extended period.

The largest hazards come from our own lack of knowledge - such as what plants to not eat.

We're still top of the food chain because we have the ability to adapt to our surroundings by manipulating our environment and using our abilities of observation and insight to guide our manipulative processes. That is what makes us super-predators.

Are we the best there is? I don't know. But I'm not going to ignore my competitive instincts simply because something else can zoop around in space like it's a walk in the park. When we saw birds flying, we didn't assume they were superior - we sought to compete and finally flew faster and farther than any bird could imagine. We still have yet to imitate how 'natural' it is to them - but the thing is that we saw what they could do, we figured out how they did it, and we mimicked the ability in a way that hardly resembles the manner in which it was originally observed.

In short... unless there are alien critters out there that are more competitive than we are, then no species will be able to remain superior to our own as long as we possess our love of competition.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well I meant the intelligence of humans on average as a whole race.
Sure there are some smart people but as a whole we are pretty retarded and self destructive.
And the fact that we let Illuminati rule us just adds to it.
There's a lot more to life than just work, sleep, play.
But most of the world wont know that.
In my opinion we won't evolve much at all until they bring out Tesla's free energy technology. Free energy = no money needed for anything, which of course they never will, Money was invented for controlling and ruling.

In my opinion technology is getting better, but people are getting dumber.

top topics

join