It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expletive in exam recieves marks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Political correctness in Britain has reached an all-time high, while educational standards have reached a new low.

Here is a story from the BBC news website on a case which is sure to anger most sane, rational people:

news.bbc.co.uk...

An exam board is to review its marking guidance after one of its top examiners gave marks for a script which contained only a two-word sexual expletive.

Apparently writing "F**k Off" warrants 2 marks out of 27, roughly 8%. The most idiotic statement made by the marker was that if an exclamation mark had been added to the end of the expletive, a further mark would have been given...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reminds me of when i tore Jamie Oliver's cooking books apart when i did my english literature exam.

I got a B for what was essentially a crap-fest, albeit a well-spoken one.

I get the feeling whoever was marking my work was more impressed by my attitude (i,e; not giving a crap about passing, but more than happy to reveal Jamie Oliver as the arrogant retard he actually is) than my actual ability.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I can not make an informed decision on this simply because I do not know the context the remark was made. There are instances where profanity conveys meaning better than a more tame exclamation. That said, profanity is just so overused. For me, it's the same as listening to someone say "you know?" after each breath.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Agreed, which is why profanity is still used to good effect in literature.

However when an entire exam script contains nothing but the words "# off", and nothing else, how could that be an efficient use of expletives?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
lol i wish ppl would do a study on where these words came from and maybe there would be less need for offense.

my two cents for what their worth

top topics

join