It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Shrinking Food Wraps: Same Price, Less Food

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

I shop at SAMS. Since I began shopping at SAMS I noticed I stop buying as many petty shopping items. Because I do not go out as much I also save money on gas.If SAMS stops selling in bulk, someone on the web somewheres will be willing to sell me food items in bulk. If the web stops supplying me with bulk items , I think I will take up hunting and gathering. I already garden. It is so much fun figuring out ways to out maneuver greedy control freaks.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states

Originally posted by WhatTheory
All you have to do is read the package before purchasing. If the consumer is to stupid to read the packages and compare weight vs price among the different products and vendors then they have no one to blame but themselves.

ok then so what if the person is blind?

Then they'll say to themselves "Hmm, this orange juice feels 10 oz lighter than normal. What gives?" Seriously, assuming the companies aren't mislabeling their product or putting little lead weights in the packaging to make it seem like more, there's nothing wrong with them doing this. Would you really expect or do you think it would be reasonable to require them to put in bold letters "NOW 10% LESS JUICE!" on every bottle? How about bottled water companies that make every size bottle look exactly the same, just a smaller scale for each quantity? Are they dishonest?

Ultimately it's the consumer's responsibillity when the actual quantity inside any package they purchase is clearly labeled and the industry maintains transparency... which seems to be the case here.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states

Originally posted by WhatTheory
All you have to do is read the package before purchasing. If the consumer is to stupid to read the packages and compare weight vs price among the different products and vendors then they have no one to blame but themselves.

ok then so what if the person is blind?

Ok, now what sort of a retarded reply is this?

What about my poor midget, one-legged, blind, one-armed grandmother with a mental disorder?
How do they tell what they are currently buying? How do they normally shop? I would guess somebody must go to the store with them otherwise how would they know where things are located. So the person with them can read them the label which is how I would guess they do it normally.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whattheory

So much for not calling anyone on the site stupid.

Did I hurt your feelings earlier? Can't take the tough love?

[edit on 30-6-2008 by TruthWithin]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It's nothing new really. This kind of shell game has been going on forever. All groups try to squeeze as much money out of the consumer by offering a little as possible in return.

The Juice box companies sell a low sugar version, when all it is is a watered down version of the original. Parents buy it thinking "less sugar is good for my kid" and even pay a premium for this "improved" product. Marketing and Advertising will get you to buy anything.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

where i live what i notice is the price of cheese.
a year ago i could pay 5 bucks for a 600 gram pack of aged white cheese.
the pack size changed to 540 gram 6 months ago and the price went up to 5.50 bucks.today i go shopping and find the size has reduced to 520 grams and the price has jumped to 6.69 bucks.
the subtle changes in price and sizes up till now are no longer that "subtle"

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
So much for not calling anyone on the site stupid.

Umm...I did not call anyone stupid.
I called someone's reply retarded. Big difference. Comprehension is your friend.

Did I hurt your feelings earlier? Can't take the tough love?

What on Earth gave you the impression you hurt my feelings?

Are you a little vain?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This almost affects me not at all. But in any case, prices fluctuate so much nowadays, I dont even remember if the bag of chicken breasts (I get the Tyson one that does not have any antibiotics or other additives) is the same weight as the bag I bought two months ago. I just make sure it has an adequate number of pieces.

As the only thing I drink is water milk and juice, my juice options are limited. Why are they limited? Because I do not drink anything made with syrup. Even the juice that does not have corn syrup listed may have "juice from concentrate". Well if you go to the frozen aiesle and look at the concentrated juice, most of the time corn syrup is a listed ingredient.

So the bulk of my juice is apple juice that do not carry the ingredient that has shot up the diabeties rate in this country since it was created in the early eighties.

I do eat Total cereal, and it does unfortunately have corn syrup for some unfortunate reson, but I think that is worth it as I get 100% of alot of daily vitamins and minerals.

I am very grateful for all the labeling the food manufacturers put on their products, otherwise I may not know I am consuming so much pollution that I can clearly steer clear of by reading such labels.

WhatTheory, I understand you have this elitist view that you feel you are above alot of people because you just , whether it be communist iditos or consumer idiots. Just please try and be more considerate of your fellow citizens, we do help keep the entire country going. You do not have to say it directly, we can all see it in the way you write about people.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
WhatTheory, I understand you have this elitist view that you feel you are above alot of people because you just , whether it be communist iditos or consumer idiots. Just please try and be more considerate of your fellow citizens, we do help keep the entire country going. You do not have to say it directly, we can all see it in the way you write about people.

First of all, I have no idea what you are talking about regarding me being some sort of elitist. I am just a working man like most here and have no such view. The difference is that it annoys me to no end when people try and blame everyone except for themselves. People need to take responsibility for their own actions or in this case, their own purchases.

There is nothing sinister going on here especially when everything is clearly marked, so there is no deception. If you want to make sure you are getting the better deal then read the stupid label and buy the product which gives you more bang for the buck.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
... I remember as a kid my mom would buy me Wheaties in a box the size of a small briefcase.

For sure! I started noticing years back, when buying cereal boxes when my sons were young, that the boxes looked the same as you faced them straight on on the shelf, but as you looked at them sideways they started to shrink. It got so bad, that the boxes could hardly stand up anymore without wanting to tip over easily.

Good, pernox brought up unit pricing. Last winter while grocery shopping, I had to explain how to use it to a complete stranger who asked me what was the best buy. I was buying my annual holiday cream cheese and noticed, like yahn said in his post, the high price of cheese. The sale price was almost double last year's regular price!

Ceara mentioned "cold process soap." Hadn't heard about that kind. Here's something I have done for years to make regular bar soap last longer: unwrap the bars and let them sit out until use.

So much of what is offered in grocery stores nowadays is prepared food, which increases the cost. When the kids were young, we prepared our own beans and rice, from bulk quantities, which are disappearing from the shelves to make room for processed beans and rice products. And, yes, we made sandwiches and laid off the pretend "juices" and junk food.

Oh, the latest thing now is "single" packaging. What a waste of energy, a ton more of trash, and higher unit prices! Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it should be done. Witness the show Jackass.
We just used to make our own single servings by putting such items in either a small reusable container or small bag. Ok, this might gross some people out, but if we, for example, put chips into a plastic baggie for a lunch, we would reuse the baggie for more of the same chips.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
WhatTheory-

I think what there trying to say is just be a little more "informative" instead of bashing people over the head with "logic".

There are very few people left in this country and especially the world who still can think for themselves. It becomes overwhelming when someone shows them the "truth" and if you don't lead them in "baby steps" than they will think your just ridiculing them.

This isn't that big of a deception. If you look at MANY other Corporate deceptions that are going on today this one is at the bottom of the list. JUST LOOK AT THE FED!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

"La la la la.... just buy fresh fruit and vegetables that are actually more expensive than prepackaged food. I've never had the need to compare prices on food, so I always eat the healthy fresh stuff. "

Honestly, if you've never noticed that fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than canned or prepackaged ones, then you really don't need to post on any thread that has anything to do with growing concerns about inflation. The fact that you don't notice pisses me off and reminds me how many well-to-do idiots there are in the world.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

No, you are a troll. Pure and simple. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. You had better get used to it.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Something that I ponder about from time to time:
'Did the big mac get smaller over the years, or did my hands get bigger?'

Maxwell House coffee now weighs 925g's , once weighed a Kilo, 1000g's not that long ago.

Couple years ago Reeses PB cups each shrunk by two grams.

In ten years time chocolate bars will be sold as chocolate essence, smell that beautiful chocolate!

Mmmm, smells great!
Did I smell coffee?!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Toad-

Just had to notice your UBUNTU link in your sig. This is another way of control besides the Corporations limiting our buying power. Do you not think Microsoft has a lot to do with the dumming down of our society as well??? It is amazing how much control they have over our daily lives considering that at least 93% or more of EVERYONE posting on these forums are posting on a Windows box which if your worried about conspiracies or control you need to get rid of that Windows box with the quickness.

The Food industry has been doing this for years already. The reason I am so mad about this is that they are doing it to "save our lives". They don't give a crap about our lives. They care about profits.

The real reason there doing this new deception now is because we are having a major problem with the basics of what the corporations make there food with. The problems are two fold: Supply and Price. The demand is there and always will be. The Supply part is Monsanto has a Monopoly on the seed that is used to grow the food for the World. Add in the Dollar now worth about as much as Mexico Peso and were all screwed.

We need to start growing our own food, but the question than becomes, Where do I buy my seed????

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 30-6-2008 by corusso]

link   
This is what I'm doing at my restaurant. Instead of rasing the prices again, I'm cutting back on the portions. We give lots of food so it shouldn't
hurt us for now, but what do I do in 3 or 4 months when everything is even higher. It's a temporary solution for a perminate problem.

link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Buy heirloom and organic seeds. . Check out books about edible plants that grow wildly in your area. Cultivate those plants.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Smaller food packages are not that big of a deal, what worries me is the emptier than usual shelves at the local grocery store. On average , when they run out of eggs or milk , I end up waiting 3 days for the truck to come in. The cereal aisle is looking skimpy too.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Ive noticed this fo some time. The first comapny i noticed doing this, was clorox bleach about 7 or 8 years ago... you cna still find 128 fl.oz of store bran and clorox bleach, but for some reason, its also ofreed in 96 oz fo regualr retail. Tide laundry detergent has just done same thing. instaed of 100 oz. its 50 oz, for $6.99 they stilll do make 100 oz but at $9.99+. what a gyp i also noticed msylef hellmans mayonaise does it.
My first thought was, damn the economy is that bad, compaies are downsizing thie product, at regualr retial, to make ends meet?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join