It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the members of ATS (Why do we....)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Why do we as members flag topics that have no substance and no proof?

But, we have topics like America's economy is going down the drain or looming war with Iran that could spark WWIII. I mean those two things alone could greatly effect our lives.

Then we have other topics (various ones) that have no proof and they get like 100 flags and 200 pages of debate.

I know somethings interest people and somethings don't. My basis is the standing proof. I am asking members, do we not care about our economy or our future?

***I am asking members, I know the site is more based around the unknown, but we all have to live and eat and I am just wondering about the everyday topics that will have great effects on our lives.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i am all for the theories, but merely as an side interest. the things that we KNOW are happening are the things i wish (although i understand wishes aren't always going to come true) ppl would spend more time on. what we know to be true is bad enough and worthy of being dealt with.

edited to add: in reply to your question "Why do we as members flag topics that have no substance and no proof?", i would think because they have the right to focus their time and energy and focus onto these things.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

True. I had some conversations to people in my community, and they said most people are scared to even talk about this, they would rather live day to day. It's sad.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

very true! as one other poster of this board put it, it is easier to deal w/ theories sometimes than to deal w/ the reality we are faced with. that really went a long way in opening up my eyes to some things.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Why do we as members flag topics that have no substance and no proof?

But, we have topics like America's economy is going down the drain or looming war with Iran that could spark WWIII. I mean those two things alone could greatly effect our lives.

Then we have other topics (various ones) that have no proof and they get like 100 flags and 200 pages of debate.

I know somethings interest people and somethings don't. My basis is the standing proof. I am asking members, do we not care about our economy or our future?

***I am asking members, I know the site is more based around the unknown, but we all have to live and eat and I am just wondering about the everyday topics that will have great effects on our lives.

What you are asking, in essence, is - "why don't all the members of ATS have the same point of view, and priorities, as I do?"

So, do you need an answer to that - or can you figure it out for yourself?

Duncan

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nexusmagazine

No not at all. I am asking why do we not discuss certain subjects that have substantial proof, but yet we debate topics that have no proof. Pretty clear cut. I guess you could argue the unknown has more room to debate, I am simply asking why don't we get more input in other areas also.

This has nothing to do with me.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

am i wrong in assuming you already know the answer to this? (which is why i had to "edit to add" lol).

if i may, if this had been my post, it would have been merely to stimulate a thought process in others to perhaps prioritize where their energy and efforts are being put into.

not saying that what i deem IS actually more important than what others think is important, but i guess, in a way it is. lol i mean, theory vs. fact. if fact were all pretty flowers and lovey dovey, then theorizing would seem a good place to be putting the majority of your time into, but fact is not pretty.

couldn't it be that some of these theories are there to distract? (not intentially, but every theory starts somewhere, and since most of the theories posted here came from somewhere besides the posters, doesn't it make you wonder where they may have come from? ahhhh another conspiracy theory to ponder on
)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Yes you are correct. I should have waited a day and thought out this post, and attacked it differently. I guess I was frustrated at certain topics that don't get discussed. I just feel it would be a better debate if we had 300 members debating the topic, like we do other threads.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

oh, i am SOOO with ya on your thought process, which is why i didn't question what you meant by the post lol.

if more ppl would spend their time thinking about what needs to be done with what we ARE being faced with (not theory here, folks), then maybe we could maintain the liberty we have (for the moment) to contemplate all these other things.

as it stands now though, the liberty for the moment to pursue these other things is overwhelming for some and more comforting, in a strange way, than pursuing the answers to reality.

and as i know you know, there is nothing we can do or say about it (not that i would want to force anyone to conform to my expectations) bc it is their right...... which others of us will be "fighting" for in some way, shape, or form down the line.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

reply to post by nexusmagazine

No not at all. I am asking why do we not discuss certain subjects that have substantial proof, but yet we debate topics that have no proof. Pretty clear cut. I guess you could argue the unknown has more room to debate, I am simply asking why don't we get more input in other areas also.

This has nothing to do with me.

Well, I would say that most people on ATS are interested in mysteries - and therefore would naturally have less interest in debating topics with existing 'proof' (which is subjective anyway)

I would assert that the vast bulk of ATS members and readers are seeking ANY new information to help them put together their own views of said mysteries. This would assume that such people are not happy with the 'conventional facts' or 'existing proof' put forward in such cases or debates.

It probably reflects the fact that a lot of ATS people have had their own personal experience about something that contradicts mainstream or consensus reality.

The following thread has drawn a large number of lurkers into registering or posting for the first time, and is very popular. It is evidence of what I am saying:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Duncan

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

because we dont know better...

and it would seem to me that if there is no proof we flag to keep track just incase proof decides to rear its ulgy head...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Hmmm. That's a theory I never thought about. So, we flag threads to save them just to follow the debate. I was under the impression members flagged threads because they liked them. But, thread flagging was intended for saving a thread though.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
reply to post by jhill76

because we dont know better...

and it would seem to me that if there is no proof we flag to keep track just incase proof decides to rear its ulgy head...

ha! good answer. well, one can't argue w/ the latter part of this for sure.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Hmmm. That's a theory I never thought about. So, we flag threads to save them just to follow the debate. I was under the impression members flagged threads because they liked them. But, thread flagging was intended for saving a thread though.

thats why i flag posts, though i cant speak for everyone. even if i dont reply i might find something i want to read later and instead of going through god knows how many pages to find it. i got it right there.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Thats why i use the subscribe button at the bottom of each thread page. Flagging threads gets them up on the front page as HOT Topics. Hence why we see so many BS threads on the front page. I Flag threads that have information that i feel every american should know about and keep up to date on. Voting system stolen, Bush ignoring intelligence and trying to go to war anyway, stuff like that. When i want to keep threads handy i subscribe to them. That puts them in my list for later perusal.

My $.02

Silver

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by S1LV3R4D0

not a bad idea ill keep that in mind. cause you are right a lot of bs makes its way up there and the juicy topics generaly go unnoticed...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
the answer, for me, really is quite simple:

Ignorance bathes in immature speculation.

Some people lack the mental requirements to carry out a well-thought-out debate, so they instead stick to what they know best

garbage.

I agree with the OP, there are entirely way too many threads recently that are getting attention.

Good or bad, right or wrong, doesnt matter. When someone posts

"i like cheese"

they get 20 flags, 27 stars, and a whole list of supporters "Ohhh _____ you are my hero i love you smooch smooch"

you can post about anythign you want to, thats fine, im nto saying it should be against T&C to post ingorant filth that doesnt dive into the realm of vulgar and obscene

however, i think its a sore point to prove that a lot of well-thougth-out posts get ignored

and ignorant trash gets praised.

I guess Men in Black got it right?

A person is smart
People are dumb, stupid, panicky animals, and you know it.

disclaimer: That comment is only directed at certain individuals in the ATS community. If you're one of these people - you already knwo who im talking about.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Stars and flags do not indicate substance or importance. I thought, when I first came to ATS, they were supposed to represent the "best of the best" - well thought out research and intriguing ideas.

The truth is stars and flags to most ATS members mean "this particular topic fits with my personal political and/or conspiracy ideology" or alternatively "I want to believe this theory so badly, maybe if we give it enough attention it enough it will come true." Even if the topic has no proof or substance.

I'm not sure what your talking about though. Generally on ATS, ***ANY*** topic bashing bush (Iran war theories), or proclaiming utter doom and gloom (US economic apocalypse), gets a ton of stars and flags. The reason why they don't turn into long debates is because ATS has group think going on - there is nothing to discuss when everyone agrees (in the previous examples, that Bush is satan and that the end is nigh economically) and anyone who offers a differing opinion is quickly chased off and insulted as being a sheeple/asleep.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I thought it was like the gong show, the more flags or stars a thread/post has the worse it is...

huh, weird.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I see your point man but this is an open forum where people post responses to subject matter they are excited and/or interested in. Geopolitically and economically speaking, some threads are much more important than others. But we shouldn't stop posting in certain threads and start posting in others because that is counter-intuitive to what ATS is all about. People read the threads, people post responses because they want to follow the thread and contribute their 2 cents.

Noone I know searches through ATS every day looking for those few threads that are so important to real-world events. You see an interesting thread, you read it, you post a response, and you go from there.. That's the way it should be IMO.. Discussion on ATS involves almost every alternative topic known to man. It is up to personal opinion which topics are more interesting or deserve more attention than others..

That being said, I do agree about threads getting all kinds of stars without evidence. It's like this thread that was just started where the guy claims to have photos of a crashed UFO and it's occupants. 12 pages later and 20 some odd stars later the guy has not returned and there are no photos in sight, so the mods closed the thread until further notice.

I don't understand it either, but the star system is structured to be used when someone makes a valid argument/post. Even though the photos were still gone, some people apparently believed that people's posts deserved those stars. I think the system is still pretty solid even though topics that deserve such stars may not get the attention they deserve...

One of my threads is a prime example. About 2 months ago I started a thread, and the following day someone else started a thread with the exact same name and content. Ever since noone had noticed the mixup until I figured out what had happened a few days ago, alterted a mod, and the other thread was shut down since mine was started previous to the newer one. But the other thread got ALOT more attention than mine did I do believe and I'm not trying to sit here and cry or whine about this but it just goes to show that you never really know what response you will get from ATS users regardless of the thread subject matter and content.

From my experience, ATS user's responses have nothing to do with overall importance, validity, or subject matter of the thread. It has to do with how people discuss the topic, where the discussion goes, and why. And if it is a thread you started and you are eager to discuss said topic, the likelihood is that it won't get much attention because your name matters here. People who wouldn't read a thread made by me would willingly read a thread on the same exact topic if it is made by someone like mikesingh.. And understandably.. But I agree that sometimes the topics that deserve attention don't get it..

-ChriS

[edit on 30-6-2008 by BlasteR]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join