It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is good to stock up on?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Keep in mind when storing water that plastic is permeable and will let 'bugs' through eventually. You could use tablets when you open it to detox I suppose, or keep adding bleach/chlorine every so often. Which would build up, probably easier just to refill.

I had problems with the plastic jugs leaking after awhile. We are blessed here with a high water table and creek so I've gone towards the purification methods now. Carbon filters will eventually run out. Boiling and distilling process's will remain. Something to study.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

What kind of weapon to buy?
Black Powder rifle.
Legal everywhere.
A bit shorter range.
If worse comes to worse and a situation lasts for a very long time, you can make your own black powder.
You can shoot almost anything but lead is the best.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero
Ok so i have been stocking up on food and wate for awhile now and i just wanted to know what the best things to stock up on were?

Like foods that will last a good long while under any temperature.
How to store water, the best way.

And other such things.

...normally I would be rofl. But it isn't funny anymore. What is worse I'm afraid, is unless you can hide out from the rest of the zombies that would be left, you are in for one surreal and scary existence.....Me, I hope to be at one of at least a hundred ground zeros.
Maybe on one of your Mad Max runs for clean water you will see my shadow imprint on the ground.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

It is scary to think about and its good to be prepared.

But maybe it would also be better to die than to live through hell.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Store lots of rice and beans, Don't forget the hot sauce

Get a good pump shotgun. rugged, relatively simple to use, versatile and Intimidating.
If I had to go with only one long arm it would be a shotty.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
not many people think about this as food, but everyone ought to have seaweed. it is FULL of vitamins, antioxodents. it is light, cheap, tasteless, and can be crumbled on anything. large packages can be bought at asian food stores everywhere, super cheap.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The mention of seaweed is a great idea. We have dried sheets of the stuff at home that are paper light and when dropped into a soup fill to the density of cabbage leaves. Really tasty also imho.

I'd suggest tons of packet soups. Miso soup is great for you and comes in packets barely the size of a matchbox, providing a warming broth. I work nights mostly and when flagging I often have that and seaweed.

A spoonful from a jar of Bovril can be used to make a nice beefy soup too. So I would suggest foodwise some filling items that take up very little room. It warms the spirit and body, rehydrates, often with needed nutrients, cheap to put aside and not bulky.
I guess we could learn from students on survival techniques

Being British I am going out on a limb here but perhaps looking at 'Cowboy' recipes to see what food items they carried around, stored easily and were filling. Same goes for people during the Blitz in England, they were very ingenious and yet studies prove (aside from bombs) they had a healthier diet than the majority of people nowadays.

Edited to continue my tangent. I likes ma food.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Tiggerwot]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is my first post on this web site, so hi to every one.

What is good to stock up on? Where I live in the high desert my needs may be different than your however
what we have on hand is 100#s of cracked corn, 50#s of milo, two pellet guns, a bow, a cross bow, a number of firearms with ammo,
canned goods- mostly canned meats, a bailer to pull water out of our well if the power goes out. Fire wood, it will get down to -20 F here in the winter
so we have enough to get through at least 6 weeks of real cold. Basicly we have set up to make no less than 6 weeks of shelter in place.
I have been gathering native seeds that will produce grain without much in the way of water or ferilizer, yield will be low compaired to current crops however
we will get something rather than nothing with many of the currently planted seed grains.

A pellet gun is a good idea, I would stick with the guns that are less than 1000 fps. The pellets that are supersonic have a crack that is like a .22 rimfire.
If you get a bow stick with something other than a compound bow. A recurve of about 35#s draw weight is good. Why you ask, not a good idea to shoot wood
arrows in a compound. Also it is a lot easier to find shafting that a lighter bow can shoot, a heavy pull bow needs a stiff heavy shaft. Also stick with fixed blade
heads. They can be sharpened and reused. For small game use blunts. Goose feathers make great fletching.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

Welcome, and good post. Firewood. Great idea for anyone, not just those in cold climates. Never thought to post it before. Never know what sit-x will bring, and its much easier to have a pile on hand when trying to make dinner, boil water etc.... A person can do alot of damage with a chainsaw and 5 gallons of gas, but when the gas can is dry, firewood will become a real chore.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
thanks, was cutting wood this morning. They are pain to cut up but shipping pallets are a cheep source of wood. Most of them are Oak or other hard wood so the BTU/# is much better than pine.

It seems to me that the needs for people are going to be very location dependent. The rule of threes drives my actions based on where we live. I look at this as an insurance policy, hope that I never have to cash it in but is there if I need it.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Aspirin, disinfectant, any medication you are now taking, toilet paper!!!!

But if you don't have a plan to protect your stuff from the maurding hordes that have nothing; it won't matter.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

didn't read the whole thread, sorry if I'm repeating someone but in your medkit don't forget Iosat, as irradiation is likely.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

If you foresee a situation X that is a Mad Max world, all the stuff thats been mentioned so far would be a good thing.

but... if you see a situation X thats different than a Mad Max scenario..
then i'd go with stocking up on Stocks...stocks of major Gold miners and major Gold producers (not the speculative junior mining companies)
And accumulate your gold and silver & prescious metals stocks from Major Funds such as the Fidelity, the Vanguard, the Tocqueville Funds (all have NAVs of Billions of $$$)

with a stash of gold stocks (say upto 1000 shares bought over time),
you & the family could redeem a few at at time...say 50 or 100 shares...
then you could buy what others might provide without having to make a fortress & lose sleep all the time.

There will have to be some sembalence of a production/trade world, for all the millions of millionaire$ & billionaire$ that are alive in the world today...and i'm sure that all these affluent people haven't created their own enclosed & protected, self-sustaining 'Gardens-of-Eden' parallels to excape or survive a Mad Max type of degraded society.

one might not be able to live like a king with a source of wealth
but they will be surviving & not perishing like a Dark-Ages/Middle-Ages peasant

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I always seem to be the only one to suggest this in any of these 'what to stockpile' threads: communications gear.

If mass communications comes down you'll need another source of information in order to determine your security situation and to maintain a picture of what's going on 'out there'. After the current communications infrastructure fails there will be people 'on the air' and networks wiull spring up to share info and local intelligence.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
reply to post by waterdoctor

Welcome, and good post. Firewood. Great idea for anyone, not just those in cold climates. Never thought to post it before. Never know what sit-x will bring, and its much easier to have a pile on hand when trying to make dinner, boil water etc.... A person can do alot of damage with a chainsaw and 5 gallons of gas, but when the gas can is dry, firewood will become a real chore.

Gonna need that fire for cooking, like you said. Canning also if there is no electricity. Word to the wise, Respect that Chainsaw! Mine got tangled up in an alder I was falling and I let the two of them hash it out. Chainsaw lost. Oh well, gonna cost a pretty penny to fix, but its better than my life or limb!

So I'm thinking some old style two man saw blades for when the gas runs out. Real chore like you said, but at least keeps you shape.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Guns and ammo are dangerous.
When the Nazi thugs (para-military police, or army, or foreign troops) come to steal all your goods, food, generator and weapons, (they will) you will need something. If you resist, you will be shot or arrested and shot later, either way they will take what they want.
I would suggest going to a boating store and buy a flare pistol.
.12 ga. made of plastic, smaller than a .45. burns at something like 5000 degrees, should be enough to put a hole in anything. Set a vehicle on fire and allow escape to the wilderness.
If you give up your food, you will starve.
If your neighbors see you have food they will tell on you and you will starve.
Keep your food hidden for at least two weeks before dipping into it.
When it happens, it will be the way it is for ever.
There will be no turning back.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Knowledge. Great point, we should all do what we can to continue to learn new things, do the hard work ourselves now, so we know what we are going if we ever need it. For those without a photographic memory, or like having a printed text, I would suggest looking into Storey Publishing. I have been buying/reading/laminating their bulletins for years. Pretty much everything you need to know about sufficency/homesteading can be found in them. And no, I dont work for them, just love their advice.

Storey

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
various good can be stored for use as barter goods or for self consumption, a list is floating round the web that varies as time goes by, it listed the top 100 things people needed asfter cetain disaster and they beame scarce and more valuable. i'll post one below for you.
Top 100

1. Generators

2. Water Filters/Purifiers

3. Portable Toilets

4. Seasoned Firewood (About $100+ per cord; wood takes 6 - 12 mos. to
become dried, for home uses.)

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps

6. Coleman Fuel

7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots

8. Hand-Can openers & hand egg beaters, whisks.

9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugars

10. Rice - Beans - Wheat

11. Vegetable oil (for cooking)

12. Charcoal & Lighter fluid

13. Water containers

14. Mini Heater head (Propane)

15. Grain Grinder (hand-operated, Non-electric)

16. Propane Cylinders

17. Survival Guides

18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term
lighting is difficult.)

19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula/ointments/aspirin, etc

20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

22. Vitamins

23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder

24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products

25. Thermal underwear (Tops and bottoms)

26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets & Wedges (also, honing oil)

27. Aluminum foil Reg. & Hvy. Duty

28. Gasoline containers (Plastic or Metal)

29. Garbage bags (Impossible to have too many.)

30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, paper towels (Also impossible to have too much).

31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake liquid every 3 to 4 months.)

32. Garden seeds (Non-hybrid)

33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit: 1(800) 835-3278

35. Tuna Fish

36. Fire extinguishers

37. First aid kits

38. Batteries

39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

40. BIG DOGS (and plenty of dog food)

41. Flour, yeast & salt

42. Matches "Strike Anywhere" are best. Boxed, wooden matches will go
first.

43. Writing paper/pads/pencils/solar calculators

44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in
Wintertime)

45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches.

47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (Jot down ideas, feelings,
experiences, preserve Historic times!)

48. Garbage cans, Plastic

49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail
clippers,etc

50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

51. Fishing supplies/tools

52. Mosquito coils/repellent sprays/creams

53. Duct tape

54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

55. Candles

56. Laundry detergent (Liquid)

57. Backpacks & Duffle bags

58. Garden tools & supplies

59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

61. Bleach

62. Canning supplies (Jars/lids/wax)

63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc.

65. Sleeping bags & blankets/pillows/mats

66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

67. Board Games Cards, Dice

68. d-Con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

70. Paper plates/cups/utensils

71. Baby Wipes, oils, waterless & Anti-bacterial soap.

72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.

73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

75. Soysauce, vinegar, boullions/gravy/soup base

76. Reading glasses

77. Hot Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

78. "Survival-in-a-Can" type kits.

79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

80. Boy Scout Handbook (also, Leader's Catalog)

81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kits

82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

85. Lumber (all types)

86. Wagons & carts (for transport to & from open Flea markets)

87. Cots & Inflatable mattresses (for extra guests)

88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

89. Lantern Hangers

90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws, nuts & bolts

91. Teas

92. Coffee

93. Cigarettes

94. Wine/Liquors

95. Paraffin wax

96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

97. Chewing gum/candies

98. Atomizers & spray bottles (for cooling/bathing)

99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs

100. Goats/chickens

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I got a Berkey Light and a couple extra sets of filters a couple months ago. I love this thing. This list you made is great though. I better get cracking.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join