It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Ever Happened To Star Wars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well i am not thinking of Luke Skywalker but the missle defense system SDI introduced by Regan in the 1980s. Offically they say it was too much money and did not work properly/ But i read somewhere that SDI was not aimed at the Russians but ET! Apparently Regan had a chinwag with Gorby and told him this. Hence the Russians backed down when they understood the true purpose of this.

With USA wanting to put a missle system in Europe, is this the next generation SDI in development to protect Earth from Ailen intrusion? Or is there a more terrestrial explanation??

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The way i understand it is that Soviet Union could not cope with space race when its economy was already strained due to dropping oil prices (oil prices could actually drop then. Good old times). So it reached certain agreements and such, but it was too late. And Chernobyl added to the issue.
Now this missile defense purpose is to move US/NATO forces closer to Russian borders and make future Russian led rebirth of some kind of new Warsaw pact impossible. Russia's economy is in much better shape (120 $ for barrel is not 30 $ and country is much smaller) but internally it is not very stable and even more reactionary forces could turn the tables. So it is good to have a missile defense near by also. Just in case.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well yes i agree with all that, but i do feel there is a hidden agenda to the whole SDI project. ie it is aimed at ET more than anything else,,,,

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Part of the SDI initiative was used not that long ago to skeet shoot a satellite out of orbit over the Pacific. SDI is still alive and some parts very functional.

Forget the extra-terrestrial part, worry about North Korean and Iranian missiles in certain parts of the world. Russia and China would lob more than what the missile shield can handle and they would also use decoys. On a positive note, we wouldn't use decoys on the return flight.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that there is a weapons system up there as you guys have stated, but I think that in the 80's SDI became GPS.
Think about it. The whole military machine relies on it for just about everything.
No GPS, no smart bombs and plane coordinates.

If there is an SDI platform up there is blacker than black. No one ever talk about it anymore.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think more or less it was a checkmate for Regan's era to win the cold war.They have taken some of the technology into the missile defense shield.

new topics

top topics

join