It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this pic paranormal? Expert opinion please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I've been lurking around this site on and off for at least a year or so, but I've finally joined the party! My first action will be to ask for help with some photos I took of my son.

These photos were taken in 2001 when my first son (he's now 7 yrs old) was just a newborn. I've included all three photos in order of them being taken. These were taken with a standard throw away camera if my memory serves me correctly.

Notice the strange apparition in photo 2? What is it? After seeing this photo I went back to the room several times to see if anything could have been in the way of the camera. I also checked the camera to see if perhaps a strap had somehow gotten caught in the picture - but it would have been impossible.

I have shown these pictures to several people over the years and have never gotten a good explanation. Can you guys help out?

I will tell you that both myself and my son have experienced several odd things that could be classified as paranormal - but I wont detail that here. Do you think this is proof?

i293.photobucket.com...

i293.photobucket.com...

i293.photobucket.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Here is the pic in color. Sorry, as I just scanned these I didnt realize they were in B&W until I posted.

i293.photobucket.com...

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hi Billman, First off, welcome to ATS.

My first thought was that it does look like something close to the lens which is out of focus. Also the object seems to have a shadow just to the right which is also not in the other two photos. Looks like something akin to a shoe lace. (i'm not saying thats what it is, just looks like it).

So, I'd say that it was a solid object but as to what it could have been, I don't know sorry. Hopefully some of the camera/optics experts on ATS will show up with an explaination for you, or maybe it is something paranormal!

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Chonx]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Are you sure no-one was spinning a white judo-belt to keep the boy entertained.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I will tell you that I took the photos myself and there was no one in the room with me. It does seem to cast a shadow as seen on the bed, but I will tell you I did not see anything when I took the pictures. The object does have a "spinning" look to it - almost as if it is some type of vortex.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Also, If you look at my son's line of vision in the three photos, it looks as if he was following something. First up on the ceiling, then to the right, then towards the "spinning vortex thingy" near the front of the camera.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have made photos like these by mistake.
I did it by being unaware of my camera´s wrist strap dangling in front of the lens. It only happens when using the camera in the vertical ´portrait´ fashion, as the strap is attached to the side of the camera.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Psychopump,

My first thought when I got the pics back from being developed was the ceiling fan's pull string. So I took the camera back into the room and stood where I took the photos. The pull string was over 3 feet from the camera - so that would be impossible. My second thought was also the wrist strap. This camera had a short loop for a wrist strap, and I tried to recreate the strap falling in front of the lens. This camera was an elongated 110 camera, unlike the square 35 mm, with the strap on the right and the viewfinder and lens on the left. The strap would not reach in front of the lens to make such a picture.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by billman

Not to be flippant, but did you try orienting the camera the other way (180 degrees around)?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If you look at the strap in that picture you will see it has lots of lines on it, if you look at the one in your pic it has a simlar thing, I think that it is just your camera starp dangling over the lense.

My two pennies

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
BBTBE

The 110 camera I used on these pictures had a small black loop strap mounted on the camera's side. It is not like the large 35 mm in the image you attached. I took each of these photos just a few seconds apart. The strap would not have any way to swing that far without large movement. You can see from pic 1 and pic 2 that I was in the same position, and did not move the camera until pic 3. Also, I do not believe a small black strap could cause such a shadow cast in the photo. The camera I used had a small black loop mounted to the rear on one side, and was not even long enough to obstruct into the picture. See the attached image for an example of the camera I used.

www.kodak.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by billman

Surely the fact that whatever it is cast a shadow means you should have been able to see it with the naked eye too?
I have heard of ´spectres´ being photographed when NOT visible to the naked eye, but they don´t cast shadows then do they?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I see what you mean about the baby following something with his eyes. He is obviously looking at something that interests him. I used to use a 110 camera, so I know that what you have in photo # 2 is not a strap from the camera, but it is so obviously a woven belt or something like that- its baffling. I'll take you word it was not visible to the eye.

Well, I know I haven't helped explain anything , but I can back you up on the camera strap- that is all. Sorry!
edited to add a pic of typical 110 camera:

[edit on 29-6-2008 by raven bombshell]

duh you already had a link

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I know you were hoping for "expert" opinion. I can only offer you a Level-three-niner mook opinion. BTW, welcome! I think it's interesting that the white thing in the central photo seems to convey motion..... it's twisted and even the way it curves outward from the bottom seems to convey motion.

I don't see anything in the 3rd picture, exept a babe cuter'n a bug's ear.

I see from you link of your camera that the strap couldn't really be the source..... and it wouldn't seem that something really tiny, such as a thread close to the lens of the camera would produce such an effect.

I can't make a guess as to what it is. I don't know enough about paranormal photography to offer much more than that. Your son doesn't look frightened by whatever he's seeing...... I think that's a good thing, and perhaps as good as you're going to get ;o)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I really have to agree with the camera strap explanation that is exactly what I thought initially is that something was dangling in front of the lens very close and unnoticed. may even be a bit of frabric from a sleeve or something of that sort. Its definately a real object in the physical world dangling in front of your lens. spirits do not cast shadows.

I hope you can take comfort in that.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is obviously a strap.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well, just as an experiment I tried to recreate the OPs phenomenon. I dont have a cute baby -sorry. Looks like he mysteriously took a pic of MY camera strap.
If you think about it, the strap matches the camera usually. I have a silver digital camera with a light grey strap. If he has one of those little black 110s, the strap wouild also be black- Bill are you sure you used that camera? DO you have one around the house with a light strap? sometimes the memory plays tricks.

my recreated photo

edit to correct link

[edit on 30-6-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ooh! Ellie Crystal at crystalinks.com has some VERY similar photos of those spiral-looking things.

I have no idea what they are, but Ellie might.

You should email them to her.

Here are some other examples

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

Wow... Occam's razor would suggest it's a strap or something in the 3-D world, but after looking at Ellie Crystal's page I'm not so sure. The "shadow" on the bed does not seem likely to be produced by an object close to the camera or flash - rather a dark version of the same phenomena.

In Ellie's photos, the spiral does not appear to be a solid object. At least not in all the pics. In some of them, it is "see-through". Raven's re-creation is noteworthy, but even at it's faintest (towards the bottom) it doesn't appear to be phantom-like or translucent/transparent.

I was slightly dismissive of this until I saw Ceara's post. Good work! I wish I could offer some insight other than to say, "Yep, that's weird." ...If nothing else though, I say keep looking into this.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I know it doesn't sound very likely, but could it have been a strand or two of hair?

The flash could have reflected off hairs falling over your face and the view-finder. By the time you took the third picture, you might have brushed them back.

I've got a batch of recent photos, one or two of which were spoilt by light getting in the camera. Is there a possibility it could be a mix of these things?

I am sitting near a window at the moment looking at the effect of light on my hair if I put it right in front of my eyes. Not a perfect match, but not a million miles away either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join