It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

It Was Oil, All Along

page: 2
6
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313
 


Greenspan, arguably one of the biggest economic geniuses of our time, believes we went there for oil. I think you should at least give him the benefit of the doubt and read his reasoning for what he's saying.




posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien
 


so where is the oil?



posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
It's still in Iraq. Over 70 International firms are bidding for oil contracts in Iraq. The Iraqi government NOT the USA is in control of this process.


You can't seriously believe that, can you? Do you understand that the Iraqi government is a puppet one that was NOT elected by either a majority of Iraqi voters or the true choice of Iraqi's?


Bush Derangement Syndrome makes people say and think weird things.


Sure it does and oil was not in my opinion the most obvious motive force for a war against Iraq. I would say that the most obvious motive force would have been the destruction of a alternative social system and to destroy the great example countries such as Yugoslavia and Iraq had set. Since there are absolutely no economic incentives to attack Cuba it can largely be ignored but since Iraq sat on so much oil taking it off the market could help shore up the US economy by ensuring that other countries would have to accept more and more dollars to afford oil on the Nymex/IPE.

It makes people bring up things that are patently false, and tries to rehash old lefty mantras in the guise of "breaking news." Really shameful if you ask me.



www.iht.com...
Iraq currently produces only a fraction of its vast reserves, the third-largest in the world and among the cheapest to produce, and international oil firms have been positioning for years to gain access.


Sure Iraqi reserves have not been developed and i would argue that this, along with the destruction of a more just social system, and other military and economic considerations were the true motivating forces behind not only the original war of needless aggression against the most westernized nation in the ME but also the true motive force behind the genocidal sanctions regimes which gutted Iraq that it is not today producing about the same volume of oil that Saudi-Arabia and Russia is producing.

If not for the perpetual crisis Iraq has been in since the early 80's we would still be paying 8 USD on a very bad day on the market.

Stellar



posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
It's still in Iraq. Over 70 International firms are bidding for oil contracts in Iraq. The Iraqi government NOT the USA is in control of this process.


You can't seriously believe that, can you? Do you understand that the Iraqi government is a puppet one that was NOT elected by either a majority of Iraqi voters or the true choice of Iraqi's?


Bush Derangement Syndrome makes people say and think weird things.


Sure it does and oil was not in my opinion the most obvious motive force for a war against Iraq. I would say that the most obvious motive force would have been the destruction of a alternative social system and to destroy the great example countries such as Yugoslavia and Iraq had set. Since there are absolutely no economic incentives to attack Cuba it can largely be ignored but since Iraq sat on so much oil taking it off the market could help shore up the US economy by ensuring that other countries would have to accept more and more dollars to afford oil on the Nymex/IPE.

It makes people bring up things that are patently false, and tries to rehash old lefty mantras in the guise of "breaking news." Really shameful if you ask me.



www.iht.com...
Iraq currently produces only a fraction of its vast reserves, the third-largest in the world and among the cheapest to produce, and international oil firms have been positioning for years to gain access.


Sure Iraqi reserves have not been developed and i would argue that this, along with the destruction of a more just social system, and other military and economic considerations were the true motivating forces behind not only the original war of needless aggression against the most westernized nation in the ME but also the true motive force behind the genocidal sanctions regimes which gutted Iraq that it is not today producing about the same volume of oil that Saudi-Arabia and Russia is producing.

If not for the perpetual crisis Iraq has been in since the early 80's we would still be paying 8 USD on a very bad day on the market.

Stellar



posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Wow, you guys have got it all figured out. It was about Oil. Alan Greenspan even said it, he's an economic genius and of course genius in economics translates into genius in all global social, cultural and political topics as well. Even though he was the longest serving Chairman for a corrupt Federal Reserve System, we value his testimony now, as this thread is not about the criminals who run the American banking system. FORMER generals have said it, and what unemployed military who failed in Iraq and American politics thinks matters. FORMER intelligence officials have said it, and even though we didn't trust them when they were with the CIA, we know they speak the truth now. The FORMER White House press secretary said it in his new book, or did he recant when brought before the Senate.

I suppose the rule on this site is: "If we keep repeating it, then it will become true." Its almost as if you've learned nothing from the very people you malign.

Of course its about oil, the Muslims are peaceful people. They haven't invaded another nation in almost 1300 years. Ahmadinejad's comments about the Mahdi were taken out of context. American's are not repeatedly threatened to accept Islam or die. Al Qaeda doesn't really exist, not in Iraq or Afghanistan. Noone wants to conquer Rome, Americans are naive, child like even. We need oil for our war machine. Bush and Cheney sell drugs. The dollar is worthless. America is on the brink. Obama for president. Ron Paul's knows the score. McCain doesn't know the price of gas.

This is my prediction, Bush and Cheney will retire and never answer for anything that has happened over the past 7 years. The Iranian regime will collapse and its president will stand trial for the crimes he's committed. McCain will be elected president and his first business will be to excuse Bush and Cheney for anything they did, were accused of doing, or may be accused of in the future, basically giving them a pass to commit more crimes just to irritate people like you. The dollar and the american economy will be just fine. America will continue on for the remainder of your lives, at least, as the nation the world loves to hate.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
Exactly RR!

I am so sick and tired of people saying that we "only went there for the oil." When it's quite obvious that if we had gone for the oil, we'd HAVE the oil flowing freely, into our country. Absolutely ludicrous for people to say that.

It's nice in theory, but then so is communism. Just because we went there for something, doesn't mean we would have it. After all, we went there for the security of the Iraqi people didn't we? Where's that at?

Maybe it was about oil, maybe it wasn't, but to say 'If it was about oil, we'd have oil' is incredibly close-minded and very limited thinking. Why not flip it up? 'Saddam's Regime has been toppled, therefore we must have gone there to topple Saddam's Regime'. See what I mean? It's incredibly closed logic. I'll prove my point by going further. 'Tens of thousands of Iraqis have died, therefore we must have gone there to kill tens of thousands of Iraqis'.

Things can happen that aren't planned, and things that are planned can not happen. Just because something did or didn't happen, doesn't mean it was or wasn't planned.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover


So basically we invaded a sovereign nation (with a jerk for a leader) on trumped up and false charges in order to pillage their resources.

And we call ourselves civilized and proclaim in our rhetoric how noble our ideals are and how we are not like other nations.

BULLHOOEY!!!

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)


do you ever use oil?



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bruxfain
Of course its about oil, the Muslims are peaceful people. They haven't invaded another nation in almost 1300 years. Ahmadinejad's comments about the Mahdi were taken out of context. American's are not repeatedly threatened to accept Islam or die. Al Qaeda doesn't really exist, not in Iraq or Afghanistan. Noone wants to conquer Rome, Americans are naive, child like even. We need oil for our war machine. Bush and Cheney sell drugs. The dollar is worthless. America is on the brink. Obama for president. Ron Paul's knows the score. McCain doesn't know the price of gas.



loving the sugar coating of the "Muslims" and the 1300 years quip

This boy is comedy gold



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by desert
 


But desert the bush administration hasn't done squat about the the Arab/Israeli conflict other than unconditionally back Israel. So no I don't believe that.

It was oil, ego and so a pathetic little man could one up his dad and "finish" the first gulf war, and oil.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by StellarX
 


RR believes a lot of weird things like Reagan was a great president and that we will never run out of oil because the earth is constantly producing more.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by racegunz
You (and others) make it sound as if Iraq was not able to pump or sell any crude since desert storm, if that is so then how were they selling oil to France?


They were but only at certain prices and certain volumes and then the money went into a 'trust' ( after sufficient funds being subtracted for the 'damage' done to Kuwait and other countries) which were then employed to pay for the materials the UN allowed Iraq to buy on the world market. The oil for food program was certainly no carte blanche for Iraq and they in fact saw very little of that money.


what good was the Oil for food program. I remember complaints of european countries dealing with Iraq for oil against the world sanctions.how would that be if their infrastructure was decimated?


The oil for food program wasn't much good ( and it wasn't designed to be) for Iraq and despite the fact that much of the material and funds that could or should have been spent elsewhere where in fact used to keep the oil infrastructure in a working condition. Basically it was a self serving program to keep Iraqi pumps open while not allowing it to produce anything like the volume it could have.


Yes I do agree that now "western" companies are going to enter the fields in Iraq but they have been pumping oil before and after we attacked.


Sure they were involved but not to bring as much oil to the market as is possible but to get their hands on some of the cheapest oil in the world so as to best make a even larger profit now that they have conspired to drive oil prices trough the roof by ensuring that world demand is met with only a slight margin of overproduction.


I don't see any of our "interests" being worth what we have spent to have a foothold in this swirling vortex of hell. I am an isolationist for sure I admit, but I don't see regular people being the benefactor of the new socialist world economy enforced through the western militaries and my tax dollars.


And YOUR interest were never considered during the near decade and a half that it took to destroy Iraq trough two wars and a dozen years of near genocidal sanctions. The people who's interest have met are those who wish to control the flow of energy in the world so as to best restrict our freedom of action and thus our freedoms.


Maybe we will see sooo much oil being pumped out of Iraq that gas will go back down to 1.80 a gallon. Yeah right! Even if it wasn't worth it!!!


And it wouldn't have been worth it even if that was the original goal! The fact that the aim has always been to restrict supply ( especially since the slump, to 8 USD per barrel, in prices in the late 90's) should come as no surprise to those that are open to the idea that there are powerful forces, i would say people but it's a stretch to call them that, at work and that they are doing this full well understanding the effect it's likely to have on both the global economy and the people who are trying to survive despite it.

Stellar



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
RR believes a lot of weird things like Reagan was a great president and that we will never run out of oil because the earth is constantly producing more.


And i i fact have a great deal of sympathy with a few of those views including the fact that Reagan was by no means the worse American president , in the last twenty years , which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot, and that there might very well be a abiotic origin to oil even if i am not sure if it's ALL oil or just a tiny percentage.


Sorry to have to burst that particular bubble!

Stellar



[edit on 30-6-2008 by StellarX]



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If taking the oil out of the earth is like... taking a certain fluid out of the human body... doesn't the earth... need the oil for itself for whatever reason it is produced? Don't the plates need a'greasin to reduce friction or something?



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I saw on news last night how basically there was not any open bidding but for large oil co's(BP was one) were somehow given rights to Iraqi oil. They too said so it comes out it was all about oil...



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yes indeed. Iraq's oil has been denationalized, and the multinationals have flooded in like vultures to pick at the carcass:

english.aljazeera.net...

"The Iraqi oil ministry is expected to announce on Monday the deals with companies such as Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Total and BHP Billiton, Asim Jihad, an oil ministry spokesman, said."

Poor guy, the Iraqi oil ministry spokesman has a very unfortunate surname.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by mattguy404]



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by astronomine
 


Oil is a biproduct of the breakdown of organic matter. Millions of years ago the atmosphere was far richer in both oxygen and CO2 and the plants grew fast and large. There was far more and denser plant life on earth than there is now... mountains of the stuff apparently... and it is that stuff when broken down, depending on age and pressure forms either oil or coal. The contanintal plates do not need oil as a lube.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404
 



Iraq fails to sign contracts with global oil majors

www.breitbart.com...



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Do you 'not for oil' guys not remember the Energy Policy meeting right after Bush took office? They kicked out the usual enviromental folks that attend those meetings and had Military planners and Maps of Iraqi Oil Fields laid out at that meeting BEFORE 9-11 happened. Afghanistan? Unocal was lobbying Congress to bomb Afghanistan's Taliban into compliance with a pipline deal, BEFORE 9-11. Karzai, the guy we put in charge there is a former Unocal consultant. If you still believe that we went to Afghanistan to find Bin Laden perhaps, then what the hell is NATO doing there now building permanent facilities. Sudan? Look up the pipline deals in that area just prior to the 'Crisis' there. It doesn't take a genius to see the pattern. The only other common factor seems to be Israeli interests, so to avoid that dreary conversation, yeah people, it was oil. Unless you think good ole George Bush really and truly cared so much for the suffering people of Iraq, and Afghanistan that he sent his only begotten military to save them.
Funny thing about that Axis of Evil, all the countries in it just happen the last few countries who are't Word Bank or IMF members, no I'm not kidding, look it up.



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
...desert raises hand...Ooh, ooh, grover! Here's what I learned about another reason for our elective invasion of Iraq...ahem, fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here.
You mean that was just a slogan to get us all behind the Cheney Team?
Wow, that George still is one hell of a cheerleader. Being a Yale football head cheerleader really got him prepared for his future. Is that why Cheney chose him to be President?

Too bad he wasn't honest enough like his daddy to give this cheer..."Give me an 'O'! Give me an 'I'! Give me an 'L'! What does that spell? OIL! Go OIL!! Yay!!"

reply to post by Pinktip
 



"We did not finalise any agreement with them because they refused to offer consultancy based on fees, as they wanted a share of the oil," he said.


Contracts will be signed, just not until both parties agree. Which before said signing, poor Mr. Asim might find his arm twisted to an extreme degree, sorta torture but not, or maybe just plain good ol' fashioned bribery. Corruption is as corruption does.
Sounds like the fees would be better for Iraq. But who cares about what's good for Iraq?



posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
If there was any justice cheney, bush and company would be dragged before the Hague to be tried as war criminals.


Does that company include every Democrat that voted in approval of the war? Didn't they owe it to the American people to independently check any source or evidence presented to them by the administration? Oh, wait... apparently they didn't because they're liberals and so they gotta be good folk.



new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join