It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressmen prefer SUVs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Congressmen prefer SUVs

www.inrich.com

WASHINGTON -- Congress spent much of the last month debating ways to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign oil.

Perhaps members should look in their garages.

Half of all vehicles leased by members of Congress with taxpayer funds are gas-guzzling SUVs, a review of congressional financial records show.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mgwashington.com

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This should be no surprise, but some very eye-opening information can be derived from a search of the database linked in the article and also provided here in the additional news link in the OP.

For example, I picked California since it usually sets it's standards higher than FED mandates.

Eighteen California congressmen/women lease vehicles ranging from a low of $183.67 monthly for an '06 Prius used by Rep. Becerra to a whoppping $998.68 monthly for an '06 Acura RL used by Rep. McKeon.

The avg payment for just the vehicles in California is 665.32 a month with a monthly grand total of $11975.53 ....

That's before the fuel bill folks, and yes we pay that as well.

If you take a look at some of the per month lease payments they appear to be WAY over the norm, correct me if I am wrong on that but it dropped my jaw.

One congressman uses a van converted to run on cooking oil, trouble is that monthly lease is nearly $3000 a month

If you get the time, take a look through the database and see how your local representatives compare.

www.inrich.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Ed:corrected sentence.

[edit on 6/29/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
In the US I appreciate things are a bit different, but "gas guzzling" and SUV doesn't go together. There are plenty of cars on the road with big engines too.

I'm not for small cars though. The Prius is a poor example - what about its batteries? How toxic are they to the environment compared to the CO2 produced? To fix the CO2 problem, just plant trees. To fix the battery problem, uhhmm... I'm going to need some time on that one.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Its the same thing in all goverments, they're corrupt across the board. No one is following their own countries principles (what they themselves have decided) and policys.

Its a whole industry just providing goverments with the "best" (ie the most overpriced).

[edit on 29-6-2008 by merka]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I don't think this is article is on the topic of what is and what isn't a gas guzzler, it's a combination of fuel costs and lease costs which seem to be exhorbitant in most cases.

Looking through the database there are many examples of Congressmen/women choosing higher MPG vehicles at HIGH monthly leases and even a few who choose high MPG vehicles at a reasonable monthly cost.

The example above from California and the Prius is one of the few.

Other Rep. (total of 14), have hybrid vehicles but their monthly cost seems extreme to me in comparison.

Link to Hybrid Leasees

Overall, I would say that this is a good example of how our Congressmen/women care about the taxpayers money.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oh - sorry. Got caught up in the whole gas guzzler thing.

I wouldn't have really considered it a surprise that they're going for the most expensive - the tax payers are footing the bill.

You only need to look at Parliamentary expenses here in the UK to see that they see it as a free ride. It's the only reason they're in office. Pay them £20,000/year and not fund any form of second home and watch them leave faster than you can write the amendment.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

I saw a piece on the UK MP's and the 2nd home scandal calling their higher priced London homes their primary residence to avoid the higher taxes there, so I guess abusing the taxpayer is considered a perk for those who serve.

Just this little piece of factual misuse is ignored, I guess it could be the lack of sensationalism that people are drawn to.

As far as any ammendment reeling in the representatives, US or UK, I can't see them passing anything that takes away their entitlements.

Heck, you know it is too rewarding if those who get into Congress, refuse to go back to the private sector and earn an honest living.

Anyways, thanks for chiming in on this topic

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
These people make decent money as representatives, why can't they afford their own freakin cars?! Why can't they afford their own freakin gas?!

Oh that's right, their government reps, one of the main perks being you can spend taxpayer money to your hearts content.

WHEN THE F ARE WE GOING TO CUT THESE PEOPLE OFF?

Anyone else care to link what other self serving crap these people spend OUR money on?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
the only difference between american leaders and highly criticized third world country leades is that...... american corruption is done in a more 'profressional manner' with a suit and tie

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

The only way to cut them off is VOTE them OUT!

They have the keys to the car so to say, do you really think that Congress would ever vote to have their privileges reduced?

If all of the people who are fed up with the status quo would vote for independent candidates, no REP no DEM, it just might pull the rug out from under these lifers in Congress.

The problem is "how to get the message out?", in a way which could actually cause this to happen.

All the cards are stacked against us and anyone outside the box is labeled a kook, but hopefully one day, the kooks will rise up and put the lifers back in the private sector where they belong.

Now that is what I would call CHANGE!

Call me a dreamer..

top topics

join