It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cindy McCain was in Default for back property taxes in California until Newsweek reported it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Cindy McCain was in Default for back property taxes in California until Newsweek reported it

www.newsweek.com

When you're poor, it can be hard to pay the bills. When you're rich, it's hard to keep track of all the bills that need paying. It's a lesson Cindy McCain learned the hard way when NEWSWEEK raised questions about an overdue property-tax bill on a La Jolla, Calif., property owned by a trust that she oversees. Mrs. McCain is a beer heiress with an estimated $100 million fortune and, along with her husband, she owns at least seven properties, including condos in California and Arizona.

San Diego County officials, it turns out, have been sending out tax notices on the La Jolla property, an oceanfront condo, for four years without receiving a response. County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Oh poor baby.

Who are they kidding... if they have a trust to pay these things and it didn't then it's executor was at fault but still you don't pay tax bills for YEARS unless you don't want to... it was not a mistake but another example of the super wealthy playing by different rules than you and me... we would have never been allowed to go 4 years.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
How is it that the taxes on a 1 million dollar + condo in California is only $1,700 a year? Anyone live in the La Jolla area that can verify what the tax rate is there?

Seems insanely low, which makes it even more laughable that they couldn't pay the taxes on it.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You got that right. Go 3 months past the final date for property taxes and you'll find the sheriff nailing a tax auction notice to your front door...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Its called proposition 13. Back in the late 70's taxpayers pushed through a freeze on property taxes for existing owners because of how fast they were going up... and much of California's financial problems today are a direct result of it.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
You got that right. Go 3 months past the final date for property taxes and you'll find the sheriff nailing a tax auction notice to your front door...

c'mon..please...in la jolla? republicans practically own the entire area. they do not throw rich republicans out of their homes for simply not paying there back taxes. that's what happens to middle class peons, not powerful connected wealthy people. you must be thinking we live in some type of just and fair society, not america.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I think that is exactly what he meant... you and I aren't allowed such leeway.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jimmyx

yup, even trying to be funny, it gets me pissed off. and of course this is going to be on FOX NEWS ...right?....right?....

o yeah, i forgot it didn't happen to obama, so NO NEWS HERE, MOVE ALONG NOW.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Newsweek intends for the article to be a hit-piece, but inadvertently stumbles upon a reasonable and very likely explanation: it was set up so that she did not receive the bill directly and as a result, she probably wasn't even aware that it had gone unpaid. That doesn't excuse non-payment, but it also doesn't indicate that it was anything other than an honest mistake.

There appears to still be some dispute as to how much is owed for this year, but I would expect that it'll be cleared up in the next few weeks and months. If there's still an outstanding balance a few months from now, then we might have a problem.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jimmyx

Depends upon where you live. I live in one of the poorer areas of the country, yet the state or county usually won't foreclose due to non-payment of property taxes for a couple of years. In this case, the article makes a statement to this effect:

The county assesses a 1.5 percent penalty for each month that goes by unpaid and puts houses up for sale after five years.

That could probably be verified and, if true, gives any homeowner in that county quite a while to come up with their back taxes.

top topics

join