It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid-hunting satellite a world first

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Asteroid-hunting satellite a world first

www.ucalgary.ca

Canada is building the world’s first space telescope designed to detect and track asteroids as well as satellites. Called NEOSSat (Near Earth Object Surveillance Satellite), this spacecraft will provide a significant improvement in surveillance of asteroids that pose a collision hazard with Earth and innovative technologies for tracking satellites in orbit high above our planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It is great to see that we are now actively searching for NEOs and not just with earth bound telescopes.
A space based system would be much more effective and who knows. We could possibly find more than we were looking for.

www.ucalgary.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Well VIKINGANT im glad youve shared this info
, im also glad they are actually building somthing like this mabe they will uncover more very intresting things , I think they should of built this a long time ago but is it to little to late? only time will tell. cheers VIKINGANT
ALTERED_STATES

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Nice find.

I wonder how long it will take for other countries to follow suits, and then start arming the satellites so they can sort the problems as they present themselves?

Can just imagine that, "Oops....the US satellite just took out an Iranian satellite.....swear to God we thought it was an asteroid!

CX.

[edit on 29/6/08 by CX]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Can just imagine that, "Oops....the US satellite just took out an Iranian satellite.....swear to God we thought it was an asteroid!
[edit on 29/6/08 by CX]

LMFAO!!!!!!
I can just see it happening too!! Or the accuracy of the satellite is so good they know where the impact will be and just not alert enemy countries...

But yes. We will need more up there. I s'pose we will need to work out some boundaries and agree to share info othewise this could happen.

new topics

top topics

join