It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA to Open Offices in Foreign Countries??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
So, instead of hiring enough inspectors to handle the massive amount of imports of foodstuffs, here's a great plan to open FDA offices in China, India and Latin America.

Brilliant! How many inspectors could be hired with the money that will have to be dedicated to this project?

Their goal is to try and prevent outbreaks like the recent salmonella event.

They say that they could do a better job and that we cannot handle the job of inspecting the foods at the borders.

Again, what makes them think that adding people overseas would eliminate this problem? Sounds more like another case of fiscal irresponsibility.

Hire enough inspectors to handle the job HERE, where the agency is supposed to have control, how much control do you think the foreign nations will give to the US inspectors there?

Another day, another mistake, IMO.

I don't buy the hype.

U.S. hopes to open Food and Drug offices abroad

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The first thought that came to me was that this is yet another sign of outsourcing.

I do agree with what you said Jack, but this is just outlandish!

Our inspectors refuse to even have our beef checked for BSE, but we are going to send inspectors to other countries to do the work which is lacking here?

They have agreements with the food distribution warehouses, they barely accept the contracts from American Farmers for their produce anymore, and instead have made multi billion dollar contracts with S.American countries to import food that has not had the same quality of regulatory inspections from the growers that use pesticides which are illegal here, not to mention the lack of sanitation for their workers.
Water and ground contamination from unacceptable water runoffs where cattle and livestock roam freely.

NO this is just another slap in the face to the American people, to the health and welfare of our food sources.

Never before has it been more important to buy what you can from local farmers, they do not need regulations because it is the same good quality practice which raised the last 10 generations here.

I live in a rural farming community and I do not know a single farmer that grows food with pesticides anymore. My neighbor has over 1,000 ears of corn on the stalks, and not one ounce of poison. His water source is spring fed.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Good points on the struggles of being an American farmer, I am sure that the severe weather this year across the midwest will also compound their ordeal, where's the FED coming to rescue the farmers like they do the Wall Street firms? "crickets?........."

I have had very good success this year with growing my own crops so besides meat eggs and milk, we have been able to provide ourselves the rest of our diet.

Looking into some laying hens next year, eventually a mikling goat or cow, all in hopes of becoming self sufficient.

It seems like that could be where we are headed anyways, whether that happens or not, I will feel better knowing where my produce originated.

This whole FDA on foreign soil deal is just another bad decision made by our elected, who obviously have an agenda which doesn't concern the welfare of the regular working folk.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Does anyone else have some ideas on this? I know Jack placed this on the forum early this am, but after all it is a very important subject.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The more I learn about the FDA the more I think it should disbanded.

I'm not sure what this means for China has free reign to sell just about anything they want over here ,but occassionally they sell great things like tea and herbs.

Indian food products usually are very good and healthy.

The weird thing is many third world countries put an effort into making their food products excellent.For instance, they will go to the trouble of adding pure cain sugar to sodas instead of crummy fattening corn syrup.

The fda is probably trying to control the food being produced in other countries. Using the American Market they can penalize anyone who does not do exactly what the fda wants done to the food supply.The FDA is a big part of the reason many Americans look like balloonagrams. Not only is obesity unattractive it results in early death.

new topics

top topics

join