It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cable News Blues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Does anyone feel like cable news channels such as CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News Channel hardly ever report what is important. I find much better news sources coming out of other countries like Britain and Canada. BBC is a helluva lot better than any cable news channel you'll find in the states. Any other opinions on this?

Meddled

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
BBC World Service has been around since the beginning and will be around long after cable news falls out of fashion, probably the best source for international news on the planet.

Cable news is just like the human interest segment of your nightly news, only in a 24/7 format

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Nice way to put it Agent.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
As Fred Reed says "The lobotomy box is all ads, with a sprinkle of stupid shows for people with the IQ of an avocado. Yes, I�ve heard the sheepish shuck-and-jive toe-dance about �But Fred�there are some good things�the History Channel and�and Discovery.� Yeah: Sharks, Nazis, and pyramids. The absolute minimum necessary so that people who can�t be alone with themselves will gawp at singing deodorant applicators.

Radio is the same: Unlistenable, because of ads. Roads? Likewise. Our highways wend in painful ugliness through endless billboards in what once was lovely countryside. Anyone who objects is a tree-hugging commie trying to destroy capitalism and the constitutional right of nasal decongestants to self-expression.

Even in your house you can�t escape. The phone rings every five minutes because some larcenous swine wants to sell you aluminum siding. The web: You have to buy pop-up killers so you don�t get pitches for Dory Does Dallas. You get pop-up ads for pop-up killers. The outsides of buses crawl with ads, as do the insides of buses. Stadiums are lined with ads. Mailboxes bulge with urgings to switch from one to another usurious credit card designed to make you an indentured slave of Bank of America. Everything is advertising and the attempt to escape from it.

It used to be we had magazines supported by advertising. Now we have extended advertisements pretending to be magazines. The male toy-fetish mags�computers, cameras, scuba, motorcycles, guns�are mostly ads, and the purported editorial content is written, if not by the companies, at least for the purpose of selling their various contrivances. "

All the media is Biased and funded as Advertising with a hint of a TV show thrown in for the other 1/2 hour.

just what I feel IMO

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Absolutely. I'm so sick and tired of hearing stuff on Kobe Bryant. Why would I care if he commited a crime? It's not like basketball will come to an end because of this. And I got so tired of hearing about Lacey Peterson. I don't know the person and I don't care. Why should the whole nation be interested. And why would I care if Ashcroft is in the hospital with a medical condition?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Try watching Headline News, or maybe the News Hour on PBS. They tend to focus on news and little else.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Try watching Headline News, or maybe the News Hour on PBS. They tend to focus on news and little else.

Uh... Headline news is part of CNN. And because I don't watch CNN or CNBC, I don't watch Headline news. The anchors on there are as dead as door nails. They don't have any life in them when they report.

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
That's why I don't watch any news programs on Television. What I get is of my choosing, thus highly filtered. No entertainment news, for one. It cuts out all the insignificant BS.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Is there a way to get Reuters on TV (cable or sat)?

Also, if I switch to sat which provider gives me best method to get international channels?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I've never seen Reuters on television. DOes it say you could get it on their website or something?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News is where you tune into to find out about the latest episode of The Bachelor, American Idol or to hear what the worthless, steaming pile of a president did at his ranch or at camp david for the weekend......again...

top topics

join