It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Case Against Hell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Many people (not all Christian) say that nasty and evil people will go straight to Hell. Is this true?
Personally, I have struggled understanding the concept of Hell mainly due to the fact that if you sin in this life without repenting you are condemned to Hell for eternity. Would God really be that unforgiving, even if someone was a genuine ‘nice person’ but just a little ignorant, misguided, brain-washed, isolated etc? I do believe in an afterlife but also feel that the Bible (which was written by man plus translated – sometimes poorly - from various languages) has many flaws and contradictions. I also believe that the Theory of Evolution also has its flaws.
Rather than believe in Hell, I am more inclined to believe that if you do not obey the word of the Lord, you will not have eternal life with Him in Heaven. Anyway…who/what to believe?

The following is an article written by a Christian, Mercy Aiken who believes that Hell may not exist and lays out some arguments from scripture against the idea of Hell. There are certainly some valid points raised.

The case against Hell: Did you know that there is a solid scriptural case to be made against the idea of Hell? Many non-Christians have rejected the concept of Hell, but it may come as a surprise to learn that there is a growing number of Bible-believing Christians who also reject the notion-not in spite of Scripture but because of it! This short study is meant only to raise some questions and provide brief answers. For further study, please refer to the links at the end of the article.
For instance, did you know that....
"Hell" Is Not an Old Testament doctrine:
Popular myth : Hell is an established Biblical doctrine that is in the Bible from start to finish. This is not true! Two thirds of the Bible (the Old Testament) does not mention Hell at all. ("Sheol," the Old Testament word that is sometimes translated as Hell, only means "grave" by definition, and it is where everyone in the Old Testament went when they died--good or evil, Jew or Gentile). Thus the Old Testament does not contain the concept of Hell!
Think about it...
If Hell is real, why didn't God make that warning plain right at the beginning of the Bible? God said the penalty for eating of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was death- -not "eternal life" in fire and brimstone.
If Hell is real, why wasn't Cain warned about it, or Sodom and Gomorrah , or any of those who committed the earliest recorded "sins?"
If Hell is real why didn't Moses warn about this fate in the Ten Commandments or the Mosaic Covenant consisting of over 600 laws, ordinances, and warnings? The Mosaic Law simply stated blessings and cursings in this lifetime.
If Hell is real, why are its roots in paganism, rather than the Bible? Many nations surrounding Israel in the Old Testament believed in Hell-like punishment in the afterlife, for they served bloodthirsty and evil "gods," while Israel simply taught the grave (sheol) and a hope of a resurrection. If Hell is real, why was the revelation of it first given to pagan nations, instead of God's covenant people? Did God expect Israel to learn about the afterlife from the Pagan Gentiles? If so, why did He repeatedly warn Israel to not learn of their ways?
If Hell is real, why did God tell the Jews that burning their children alive in the fire to the false god Molech, (in the valley of Gehenna ) was so detestable to Him? God said that such a thing "never even entered His mind" (Jer. 32:35). How could God say such a thing to Israel , if He has plans to burn alive a good majority of His own creation in a spiritual and eternal Gehenna of His of His own making......

www.tentmaker.org...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Cams, great post! This is something that I have often thought about!

I would have to agree with you on all of the above points. As a Christian, I have always struggled to understand how our loving and caring God who gave us life and sacrificed his own son because He loves us so much, could possibly send anyone to Hell and, as a Christian, I have always struggled to understand the whole concept of Hell.

I was once told by a horrible church that I used to attend that if my family didn't embrace the Lord then they would be sent to Hell and I would be in Heaven without them. I am the only Christian in my family and those words have stuck in my mind for years but after many years of searching my heart and trying to make sense of that horrible statement, I came to the conclusion that I do not believe that such my loving and awesome God would ever do that to me or my family.

Hell is concept that I believe was made up by the Catholic Church in the early days to make everyone become "God Fearing Christians." ITS A CONSPIRACY!!

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I was once told by a horrible church that I used to attend that if my family didn't embrace the Lord then they would be sent to Hell and I would be in Heaven without them. I am the only Christian in my family and those words have stuck in my mind for years but after many years of searching my heart and trying to make sense of that horrible statement, I came to the conclusion that I do not believe that such my loving and awesome God would ever do that to me or my family.

Oh yes He WOULD:

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cams

Did this woman author, teaching this, also point out that there is no promise of eternal life mentioned in the OT for obeying the commandments?

The Hebrew children were promised LAND. That's it.

Under the New Covenant, made by Jesus, a few ARE promised Eternal Life.

Jesus also talked about torment AFTER death:

Luke 16:23-24 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

After a quick "search" of this woman's article, I note that she has not answered for this passage, which starts in verse 19 and goes on through verse 31.

Now, considering that this passage is easily the best REBUTTAL to her article, I must ask this question:
Why did she ignore it?

This is not honest Biblical scholarship. I can be (almost?) certain she is aware of these verses...yet she gives no answer for them. THAT is dishonest.

Some of you reading this post may say, "...well...maybe she didn't KNOW about those verses...?" WELL...then she has no business teaching ANYONE, THEN!

1 Tim 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

Furthermore, there are no woman teachers in my Bible (same book...a few verses earlier):

1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

"SECOND" death? As if being dead once wasn't enough?

Sadly, this lady ignores this verse also.

This article is dishonest scholarship. She ignores clear verses that speak otherwise and thus, she can be safely ignored. She offers the Saints nothing of value.

top topics

join