It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS install VIRUSES

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Firefox
AVG
and
COMODO

The only way to fly the net....

This combination was given to me by one of our very own computer experts here at ATS... "Mrmonsoon".... and ever since I have been using them, I have had zero.. Nada... NO problems...

ATS is ALWAYS the answer...

Semper

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I am using the latest version of Internet Explorer and it works fine enough for me.
I've used IE for 10 years at least and never had a problem, but thats me and I might have just been lucky for 10 years lol.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by smokey101

You just havn't experienced firefox, take the plunge and try it. Faster, more secure at the moment, and takes up less system resources.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by smokey101

You just havn't experienced firefox, take the plunge and try it. Faster, more secure at the moment, and takes up less system resources.

Lost count of how many people said that, so nthed (where n is some large number). It's is very good, but the fastest I've seen has to have been Epiphany in GNU/Linux.

Sometimes IE starts up, and takes half hour doing that, so if I really need it I use the IE plugin in FF.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

Well i think we were sticking to windows based systems as it tends to be the major operating system. Nice to see a fellow linux bunny here though

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Now that we are in the world of surveillance, FISA, and warrantless taps etc., it would make sense that the real trojans, viruses and scanners are not coming from the cyber punks. The ones that create them just for the sake of destruction and juvnille fun.

The real viruses, and trojans are more than likely coming from the PC Security companies and their advertisers. Symantec, Lavasoft, AVG, Spy Doctor, All firewalls, online virus scanners etc.

There is no such thing as internet or pc security

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
If your running windows is a good idea to periodically check your hosts file to see if any "dodgy" entries have appeared as this is a classic hack to redirect you to dodgy sites.

for those of you who dont know it can be found in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc or c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc

the files called hosts you will have to open it with notepad and it maps ip addresses to friendly names. you should only have a single entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

if you have other entries you need to review your security (unless you have created entries in there youself which may be needed if you are connecting via ipsec etc....)

[edit on 29-6-2008 by scepticsRus]

[edit on 29-6-2008 by scepticsRus]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by prometheus1111

There is no such thing as internet or pc security

Really? You never heard of SIPNET then? I guess my old job as a network engineer and security person was a complete fabricatin of a job title!

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
That is not a virus. That is Real Player 11 downloader. It is attempting to download the real player installation files.

You are correct, but you don't realize just how much.

Real player is so full of spy ware and such, the program is considered spy/malware by "MANY" defense programs.

That said, ATS does not do that.

It may have occurred by clicking on an ad, or from another open window on your computer or from a site you were at earlier doing so.

That last part deserves a better explanation.

It is a new trend for spy/malware, to wait for a predetermined amount of time before they activate.

This is done to try to hide where and when they came from.
Rant about Real Player

Here is another reference to this issue:
Source-2

Hope this clears up all your issues.

Btw, there is a safe alternative program called real alternative:
Real Alternative

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Anyone ever use NOD32?
I use it together with Commodo and haven't had a problem.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by apex

Well i think we were sticking to windows based systems as it tends to be the major operating system. Nice to see a fellow linux bunny here though

Well... it's faster. I get sick of windows, plus at University there are some thin client Sun machines with GNOME, which the university computer services think they've locked everything out on (which they have, if you only use windows). But they haven't, because you can access vi, from which you get a console window.

But if I needed to use them for anything more than internet, which I usually don't, that would be more helpful.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by apex]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Every once in a while ATS will resize my window, take me to some random website, and then pop a mock little xp window telling me that I've got a virus trying to make me buy their antivirus software. I used to get these a lot when I used a pc, it's interesting and kinda funny to see it on a mac. Still, somebody's done something phishy there, though I don't think it's ATS.

I picked up a very similar issue on my Mac yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I'd only been on ATS. Up comes the popup with something about 'You need to scan your computer, click here to install', I push cancel, then it only gives one option: 'OK' to scan with http://

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Concerning Apple, I noticed this article about Mac and a backdoor trojan, if you use Mac you might want to check it out:

Security Firm Reports Trojan Targets Macs

Security researchers reported recently that they have spotted a Mac Trojan horse in the wild that could compromise machines running Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X 10.4 or 10.5.

Last week, SecureMac, a Mac-specific vendor of antivirus tools, posted an alert saying that its researchers had found a Trojan horse, dubbed "AppleScript.THT," being distributed from a hacker-operated site where discussions of spreading the malware via iChat, Apple's instant messaging and video chat software, were also taking place.

The company classified the threat posed by the Trojan as "critical."

[edit on 6/29/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thanks for that really helpful advice. I'll look into it a bit further.

Now I have another question: how did my half-baked draft get posted??? I put what I'd written in 'Drafts' (which I've never used before), went off to research the issue myself & then forgot about it. Today I noticed this thread at the bottom of my 'subscribed threads' lists & popped in for a last glance, only to behold my own entry. I know ATS can be decidedly weird when it comes to content - but now it seems it even exhibits its very own weirdness!

Am I missing something - like 'drafts get automatically posted after a certain period'?

[edit on 25/7/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Use either ESET smart security...has nod32 best antivirus on this planet...or....bit defender...
kapersky is a resource hog....dont even get me started on anything by norton....

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The folks are right about the virus protectors on your computer. Who do you think writes these things? I have but one question; Why do you, most of you, still put up with MS and all the problems it has, such as virus/spyware/trojans, and slow performance and a degraded operation system after just a few months when Linux if free, easily downloaded and installed, and does more that Windoz could ever do. I haven't seen a pop-up in so long I would probably freak out if I did see one. I run Fedora myself, having tried them all, and you couldn't pay me to go back to Windows and their corporate grip on the world. Be free! Run Linux.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I´m running WinXP Pro with:

Browser: Flock
AV: AVG Pro
Firewall: Sygate Corporate
IP range blocker: Peerguard

This setup works great. And flock is compatible with Firefox plugins as it´s built on the same platform.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
The folks are right about the virus protectors on your computer. Who do you think writes these things? I have but one question; Why do you, most of you, still put up with MS and all the problems it has, such as virus/spyware/trojans, and slow performance and a degraded operation system after just a few months when Linux if free, easily downloaded and installed, and does more that Windoz could ever do. I haven't seen a pop-up in so long I would probably freak out if I did see one. I run Fedora myself, having tried them all, and you couldn't pay me to go back to Windows and their corporate grip on the world. Be free! Run Linux.

Because linux isnt as well supported and unix is soo out of fashion...unless you are using for a specific reason...not an option for gamers either...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by metallitron

I never get pop us. I use McAfee, I think they're cheaper than Norton.

Do you think this place would have so much traffic if they installed viruses in members computers?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Just as a point here:

Real Player is so full of spyware, it "IS" considered a virus. (seriously)

Just check the computer sites.

"At one time I read that Real Player was bundling gator. Definitely spyware"
source

"It still has spyware on there. Don’t trust the BBC as they are lying"
source

BTW, there "IS" a safe alternative.
Real Alternatave

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join