It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS install VIRUSES

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but im new. Anyways I happen to stumble on to this site and was reading through some forums when all of a sudden i revice a virus. Symantec virus reports i recived a file containing a virus. Could i have recived from ATS?
Virus details
File Name: Real11[1].exe
Type of virus: Downloader
Description from symantec:
Downloader connects to the Internet and downloads other Trojan horses or components
Any help would be appreciated. I hope it didnt come from here because this site is great.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I don't know about the viruses, but for the love of god man, DELETE norton/symantec A.S.A.P.!!!! Jesus I didn't even know people still used that spyware magnet. I recommend Kaspersky. Ever since I started using it I never looked back at Norton.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I've used Norton since I got this comp. 4 years ago and have never got a pop up for ATS. I'm sure one of our astute members will come up with a link to a previous thread on this.

Btw, welcome aboard.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Every once in a while ATS will resize my window, take me to some random website, and then pop a mock little xp window telling me that I've got a virus trying to make me buy their antivirus software. I used to get these a lot when I used a pc, it's interesting and kinda funny to see it on a mac. Still, somebody's done something phishy there, though I don't think it's ATS.

[edit on 28-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
That is not a virus. That is Real Player 11 downloader. It is attempting to download the real player installation files.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
These forums are awsome thank you so much for the fast replys. I know symantec is no good but is corporate server edition so it works good. I dont think it was realplayer, i think it was a virus in disguise. What browser do most of you use, maybe because im using internet explorer 7?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I use Flock on a PowerBook Pro, they have it for windows

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by metallitron

Mozilla, THE only browser imo.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

If you google that filename you will get a response. But, anti-virus has been known to flag legit programs. RealPlayer could of had an update that Symantec didn't pick up yet. I can't make a proper suggestion because I am not in front of your computer.

But I recommend:

FireFox

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Thirded...Firefox...it's the only way to browse...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
internet explorer is a training ground for people learning exploitation....

fourthed.... firefox.. Your my only friend...

I use avast... it rocks my socks...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Flock is Mozilla Firefox based with loads of extra stuff and options
Intego VirusBarrier X5 works good for me
Little Snitch a must

[edit on 29-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by metallitron

Dump norton now, not only is it poor compared to other antivirus software, it also bloats your system, sucking up a ton of memory and generally slowing things down. It also tends to flag up a lot of false alerts.

AVG
Kaspersky
Avast

All of these are better than norton, AVG is free and despite that is very good, kaspersky however is the best thing out there in my opinion. Back it up with a good firewall, lots of free ones are all you need as an average user. For these i suggest.

Comodo
Zone Alarm

I'd go with Comodo personally, zone alarm just tends to throw up a ton of false attacks.

The file you mentioned does appear to be realplayer but as someone else said, it's hard to know without being there. Getting a virus from a webpage is kind of hard unless you click a download. Whilst there are a few viruses that load just by visiting the page, they really are few and far between, in fact finding one was such big news it caused quite a stir in the anti virus community.

www.vnunet.com...

However even that you had to accept before it installed, it just disguised itself as a random script, but users still had to give it permission to be installed. Basically getting a virus from a webpage is harder than you think.

Surf safe and try not to worry, basic advice, don't install anything unless you trust the site.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I actually uninstalled Norton from one of my PC's (it came with it) because of the ridiculous amount of false positives I was getting.

It kept calling harmless files "AOL Bloodhound Virus".

After a week or so I had just had enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Also, a reminder to everyone. If you get something like this:

Don't just click Yes, because you think you have to. Only do this if you know what you are installing.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Excellent point.

A few days ago I had to spend a while uninstalling some piece of trash called "Spydefender Pro" from my cousin's PC that he must have accidentally clicked "yes" to.

You have to be so careful with those things.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Wow, it just did a different thing. It went to a fedex ad then wouldn't redirect back, then it wouldn't get out of the loop. I had to empty cache and clean up the whole browser.
Damn sponsors!

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Lets not forget those lovely flashing banners we see everywhere telling us we have viruses. Lots of websites have those, if my computer had all of the viruses these ads claim then i think it would be near death, coughing and wheezing and probably on the verge of infecting humans

Don't click on any ads, if you want something search google and try to use trusted brands. As for installing software, as i said above, only install something if you know what it is, if you don't know then type it into google and it'll bring up hundreds of tech forums telling you about it.

Oh on that note, i suggest everyone, if they have time, type all of their running processes into google. Google will tell you what each and every one of them is.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Ha Ha, I wonder which amigo will shoot you down for telling people not to click on their ads. Just kidding.

Yea, those ads about you have viruses and you have mail, people click on those all of the time, because it looks like a windows explorer message. Ad companies should have some guidelines to abide by when posting those ads.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Ha Ha, I wonder which amigo will shoot you down for telling people not to click on their ads. Just kidding.

Oh god i didn't think of that (hastily tries to click edit), damn it all i can't edit now!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join