It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star is getting brighter, bigger

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What I tried to say to birdwatcher (technical problems) is why pick on someone who expressed something similar to others in this thread?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It is high in the sky again tonight, I can even see it through clouds. The moon is not up yet here, it is 1:20 am, I usually see the moon come up around 400am.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

space cadet- could you kindly give any better spacial directions to viewing this--

its south and - - - -

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I filmed the object several months ago from different locations around where I live and after referencing star charts online and retracing the routes that I saw the object determined it to be Venus.

This was a let down because when I filmed it seemed to be very close, almost within the atmosphere. I even stayed up into the dawn and it was the last object to be taken over by the blue morning sky. Sorry to burst bubbles...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
According to a program I've got, In Adelaide Venus sets at 1705 and rises about 0730 at the moment. So if this has been seen in Australia late at night in the last few days, it's not Venus. Haven't notices anything myself due to cloud cover the last few days.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
No doubt about it. It IS Jupiter.

Venus kinda tracks the sun & goes down with the sun & Jupiter rises.

That Stellarium is very good & Jupiter is the brightest thing in the sky at that time & direction as it is when you look up

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Sorry, I mentioned it last night on this thread though. SEast

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
It is Jupiter, I looked at it this morning with my 'nocs.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Good call with that stellarium software, it is very good. I think maybe even better than starry night and its free! Woohoo!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Assuming that we're speaking of the same object, I agree completely with the other posters who say that it is indeed the planet Jupiter.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by primamateria
Good call with that stellarium software, it is very good. I think maybe even better than starry night and its free! Woohoo!

I am glad you find it useful.
Personally, I think it's much better than any other application currently around.

And the reason why I am writing this is to call attention to it YET AGAIN.
But I suppose those who are really seeking outlandish explanations will continue to actively ignore its existence...

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Obviosly it is Jupiter, and it has gotten much brighter lately, due to global warming going on on that planet.Just like Mars is much brighter than ever before.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have seen this star for a while, going back maybe a few year when it was alot dimmer but brightest i thought it was the north star but this is not near any other star like orion, its always near the moon. its very very bright as if its only thousand miles away or so.

I live in North East England, Newcastle.

I see it at 12 midnight to 3am in the morning every day.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by deathpoet69]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
OK just a follow up to my previous post.

I checked out the bright light in the sky last night and thanks to the "Stellarium" software I'm 100% certain that it is Jupiter. Jupiter is very impressive, I just wish I had a telescope to view it.

I think 1 possible reason why its so bright is the close proximity to: Callisto, Io, Ganymede, Europa and HP 95077.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Wow 8 pages to figure out it is Jupiter none the less...I appreciate it because I had also observed this in Los Angeles and it is the brightest star that I have ever seen. Correction planet. Thanks OP now I know, appreciate it everyone.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

It's impossible for it to be Venus, because when Venus is visible it is only in the morning or evening, due to it's inner orbit from our perspective, and right now I think it is too close to being directly behind the sun.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

I am glad you find it useful.
Personally, I think it's much better than any other application currently around.

And the reason why I am writing this is to call attention to it YET AGAIN.
But I suppose those who are really seeking outlandish explanations will continue to actively ignore its existence...

It does seem that most people here tend towards the most "incredible" explanation before trying to check it against much more mundane and likely explanations. Personally, I think it's a psychological need to experience the "incredible" in order to justify certain deeply-held beliefs about other conspiracies, but that's a personal opinion and getting off topic.

What I did want to say is that while stellarium is probably the best at realistically rendering the night sky and quick identification of the brightest objects, IMHO there are better free programs out there specifically designed for finding and identifying all the objects in the sky. Cartes du Ciel is my program of choice for finding obscure stars or deep sky objects as well as remotely controling my telescope. The rendering isn't nearly as realistic, but it's much more functional for finding dimmer objects like comets, asteroids, and stars. Because of this it's probably best suited for more advanced observers with binoculars or telescopes. Just another tool to add to the list, I use both programs regularly depending on what I need to do.

www.stargazing.net...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
well after downloading the stellarium program i believe its Ganymede the moon of Jupiter which appears to me anyway much brighter than the planet jupiter. that program is pretty cool, at first glance it appears to be jupiter, but once you zoom in its clear the moon is brighter than the planet. now the question is has this always been the case or is something changing?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If something is going on, where is SETI in all this.... yes yes yes i know they are only radio telescopes, but still they should pick up something

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I agree that it is probably Jupiter. I hope no one posted this link yet, I only scanned the replies after page 99 or so.

answers.yahoo.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join