It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star is getting brighter, bigger

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yes I am also an avid Nightsky watcher and I must say living in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia) this Star which I though was Venus is very bright from here as well.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
reply to post by Gregarious

IS THIS WHAT EVERYONE IS SEEING??

That looks like Orion's Belt, and isn't what I'm seeing.
It's south-east of orion ...

EDIT: After looking at maps etc, I believe what I'm seeing to be Sirius. It matches the location, is described as the "brightest visible star" and having the spiked lines pattern. Sirius is a binary star system.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by violet]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I got a 5inch newtonian telescope recently and i have just had my first clear view of jupiter thanks to the clear night sky here in manchester city UK. I could see two darker lines running through a perfect circle just above and below its equator. Plus i seen a few shooting stars one leaving a nice firey redish orange trail............keep looking to the heavens people who knows what you'll see next.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i think i know what star you talking about i live in nyc also... its like the only one visible to me thats how bright it is. in the night sky all u can see is the moon n this one star from where i em sometimes i just see that star alone and its pretty bright. i dont know why but its really the one and only star out there from my view so u can understand how bright it is

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It's a planet, likely to be either Venus or Mars as they become very bright.

Generally as a rule of thumb any star that is bright and low on the horizon and not moving past at a decent rate will be a planet.

Must say the whole niburu thing is getting out of hand, first we can't see it now people speculate its a bright star?! What next....

Anyways peace out folks.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reality..
i think i know what star you talking about i live in nyc also... its like the only one visible to me thats how bright it is. in the night sky all u can see is the moon n this one star from where i em sometimes i just see that star alone and its pretty bright. i dont know why but its really the one and only star out there from my view so u can understand how bright it is

yes exactly, its so bright it can shine though clouds..

but this makes me wonder..

tonight ive got no star...

although here is clouds the star should be visible...

can anybody outthere who have noticed it check to see if its outthere tonight?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I've noticed it as well. It can't be a star because it doesn't twinkle, then it has to be either a moon or a planet because of their reflected white light they give off. But then again I have no idea what it could be . Maybe it could a really close star ( By close I mean close in comparison to the distance between regular stars we see in the sky that are probably thousands or millions of light years away). Did anyone check this out on NASA's website? If its not in their website and never hear about it while the star gets brighter each day it could mean NASA is hiding something. So if they are hiding something then it means its too extreme to reveal to the public. Lol

Love and light

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I saw this today from Times UK:

If you have a clear southern horizon, then one target in July’s night sky stands out; the giant planet Jupiter shining at magnitude -2.7 among the stars of Sagittarius. Rising at 10pm BST at the start of the month (and at 7.50pm at the end of it) the planet reaches opposition on the 9th. As a result, it is visible all night long, although the low altitude will prevent observers based in Britain from seeing the planet clearly.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have also been seeing this in the sky for a while now wondering what it was. I live in northern california and for the last couple weeks all we can see is smoke in the sky but at night you can see the moon and this star, nothing else. I was thinking it must be the iss. Always the same white color never fluctuates that I have seen and I can't say it has gotten closer over the last few months looks about the same to me.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
www.postbulletin.com...

The object in question is Jupiter. It appears very bright because 4 of its moons can also be seen with a telescope.

You are absolutely correct, I just checked it using a program I downloaded and yes it is Jupiter and you can see it's moons with a scope, which I have done.

It's amazing how fast people jump to far out conclusions before doing some research.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hello,

I recorded the video below from Turkey, Istanbul, Atakoy at June 30, 2008 - around 02:00 am.

It's South, South East.

Version 1: 1280x720 - 49 Seconds.
www....(nolink)/?wqnjznzdmhv
My hand crashed the tripod at the end of the video.

Version 2: 1280x720 - 47 Seconds
www....(nolink)/?vmdedvrwa2d
Same video but I removed the crash at the end and added grids.

My tripod could have been slightly moved. I'm not sure. I'll shoot a new video tomorrow night with much care.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

Here is an mymindspeakingunhinged.blogspot.com... image of what I got when I ran the date and time discussed for Jupiter in Stellarium.Click on the pic to enlarge it. I have to admit, I too was impressed. I'll be out tonight to see if I can get a digital shot of it.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
i have also been seeing this star. At first it was right next to the moon and very very bright, bright enough for me to kind of wonder what star it was... it wasn't the northern star. I live in Manitoba and it usually pops up around 9 or 10 central time. The brightest in the sky no doubt about it. I have also noticed that it has been getting brighter.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Stellarium Image

This is what I got when I ran the date back to 6/19/08 around 2200hrs.
I have to admit, it is very impressive. I'll be out tonight/morning to see if I can get a HQ digital image.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Quite amazing.
I looked at the sky tonight, but no luck mostly because it just rained and it was cloudy, real cloudy. Ill have a look tommorow after I get back from the dentist.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i never jumped to any conclusion just never seen it few years ago just this year but im not saying its anything just always wondered what planet or star it was. i actually thought about getting a telescope to see it a bit better but dont know anything about telescopes and which ones are good lol. yea im guessing it was amazing when you seen it and its moons. what programs did you guys use by the way?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Wow, you know everything Mr. Anonymous. "Are you god?" You know and have been everywhere. You are like what every member would hope to be. I have read everything you have wrote and you are like the most amazing mind I have come across. I wish I could be like you. You know and can imagine everything. What's it like to have been everywhere and done everything?

WOW, amazing! If you know as much or can improve upon as much as you say, I want to be next to you when the s*** hits the fan. Can you U2U me and tell me the secret of life? I will follow you anywhere Mr. Anonymous. You have to be, or equal to god. I will follow you to the end of the universe. Your my HERO!

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The software I use is "Stellarium". For the screenshots I use faststone Capture. Stellarium is free and can be downloaded here.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmylad

Yup thats what I've been seeing.And according to stellarium its Jupiter!Nice pic dude!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindWatcher1
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Wow, you know everything Mr. Anonymous. "Are you god?" You know and have been everywhere. You are like what every member would hope to be. I have read everything you have wrote and you are like the most amazing mind I have come across. I wish I could be like you. You know and can imagine everything. What's it like to have been everywhere and done everything?

WOW, amazing! If you know as much or can improve upon as much as you say, I want to be next to you when the s*** hits the fan. Can you U2U me and tell me the secret of life? I will follow you anywhere Mr. Anonymous. You have to be, or equal to god. I will follow you to the end of the universe. Your my HERO!

[edit on 30-6-2008 by droid56]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join