It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star is getting brighter, bigger

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Does this bright star set about midnight? Well all summer long Jupiter has been shining very brightly in the southern sky. Just below Jupiter is the star Antares. They cross the sky together and set in the wsw about midnight. It's just a thought.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I've seen this object for the past month or so also (from the Uk) and I too assumed that it was Venus from my limited knowledge of astronomy.
Where are the subject matter experts when you need them? I'd quite like a definitive answer on this one, which I haven't seen yet.

If its visible tonight, I'll try to get a picture to show location relative to the moon.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Chonx]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Venus, Mars, Jupiter are the suggestions

Nibiru/Comet are others

hmm i agree can someone who knows how to use a starmap program help us

is this VENUS???

why does it look really strange..

or thats what i feel.. or have felt everytime i looked at it..

like the light is somewhat blurred or there something in it that changes..

can this be rotation of a planet/moons is described above

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjetbone
if it was a star wouldnt it twinkle or blink due to atmospheric conditions?
if it was a star why does it seem to disapear for an hour or so and come back even when there is no cloud coverage?

and arent the brighter stars in the sky normally binary star systems? when put in the scope it is a single ball of light.
[edit on 28-6-2008 by tjetbone]

Well the brightest star we can see is our own star, commonly called sun, but really named 'Sol' (which we call it in Norwegian). But if you are telling me that it is moving with the moon, then I don't think that can be a star. That would have to be much closer to us (like in our orbit, or the moons orbit).

Here's some information about the Sirius 2 system, which varies it's brightness due to a much smaller companion star.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by ravenflt]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
i know in wich direction it is, because i live in a long street and its at the botton of this every night.

from a map i can tell that the street faces South East.

it comes by this street every night and stays there all night.

i dont know the exactly degree but something like 15-30 degrees above horizon

i live in copenhagen denmark

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm living in Wales in the UK and last night I noticed a bright "Star" in the sky roughly South. It was above the hills behind a tall tree and was very bright, at first I could hardly see it, as it was behind the tree but as the tree was blowing in the wind I would get a glimpse of it.

About an hour later I looked and it was well above the tree and clearly visible. It was a bright yellow colour and not like any star, it seemed a lot closer than anything else in the sky and wasn't blinking like stars do. The moon wasn't visible from where I was (my flat window). I don't believe it was a UFO, but also I don't think it was a star. I've never noticed this before last night and will be checking if its there tonight.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Calm down people as mentioned before it's saturn. As for the reasoning behind why it will appear and disappear... with the naked human eye we are not always able to perceive changes in the Earth's atmosphere, even on the clearest nights cosmic particles can distort what you are seeing or obscure it completely for days or longer. If you want the clearest view possible head outside of whatever town or city you are near about 150-200 miles from anything and you will be able to see more stars than you can comprehend. Also for further viewing pleasure try star watching from atop a mountain or two, seems like you can almost grab them they're so close it's absolutely breath-taking. Happy sightings everyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The sky is never clear enough for me to see anything in Ireland!
Its prob just some swamp gas reflecting off of a high altitude weather balloon coupled with the fact the the eh......ionisation of the....eh.... Its not Niburu! ok now believe what i tell you!

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
i saw it a few weeks back towards the south in the direction of the moon...i was watching it for about 10 minutes and saw it move quite a lot within 10 minutes..as in move like planets do.....i just came back from Greece last week and noticed it again but much brighter there and still just thought it was Mars until i came here and read this thread...not quite sure what to make of it but there must be someone in here that must know for sure what it is....I'll take a look again tonight and see if i can take a picture of it......

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
damn all this talkin about it and no one has pics yet? Ill see if i can get pics of it. I called my wife out to take a look as ive never noticed something that bright. Id hoped it was a supernova whos light finally reached us. There WAS word of a visible supernova but i cannot find the page so that might be something i will look into. Supernovas have often been thought to be the celestial visitors noted in texts throughout history (ie star of bethlehem) They appear suddenly and can remain in the sky for over a year in some cases.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by SHNIPE]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
LOL, you mean that is NOT Venus?I was sure it couldn't be anything else,I mean- it is so bright and to the East/East-South.Until about a week ago it would stay close to the moon.Are you talking about the same 'star'?Or is the object you have been observing farther South?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
maybe its little moon men trying to get our attention? : youtube.com... look 3 minutes into the video.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
theres also been a lot of traffic on some nights in space. its just hard to decipher the real ufos (ones that move back and forth) from stars and other celestial bodies which just have a clear astro-path.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have taken pictures of it, but they are very dark and you can only just about make out a white dot. I will post them if anyone thinks there of any use. Don't know if they could be enhanced.

They were taken on a 6 mega pixel camera on 6x optical zoom. Let me know if you want them, but don't think they would be much use. I'll try and get better images tonight.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by narin

As i've stated in my post, the moon was nowhere in sight.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i didn't take pictures because it was so obvious and also stayed there every night.. i thought it was nothing because nobody discussed it here at ATS.

but then again we had some clear skyes for a while i forgot that most of the world is covered in clouds these days, clear skies is something we should appreceate more.

i Should have take photos. or video

i almost did but again i thought that it was to obvious and people would laugh and say, hey you captured venus. way to go boy.

tonight i will try to picture it, but there is a lot of rainclouds today here in denmark

[edit on 29-6-2008 by skywatch]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
skynet, just noticed your post about having taken pics but they didnt come out well. Sorry about that. I think we all would like ot see the pics no matter the condition. We put up with uber blurry pics of "UFOS" so why not some bad astronomy pics too

Ill check my sky tonight too and see what kind of pics i can get. amybe if we can get a nightly picture we can start to see if its moving.

Edit: Here is a list of active supernovae. and for those that are saying those are too far away to be that bright. Some of the brigtest in history were in other galaxies. Thankfully none were in the next start system over

[edit on 29-6-2008 by SHNIPE]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by narin
theres also been a lot of traffic on some nights in space. its just hard to decipher the real ufos (ones that move back and forth) from stars and other celestial bodies which just have a clear astro-path.

as far as i have noticed. the location of the star isnt within the ecliptic of the other planets. Its lower? (i think... ill bust out the star chart tonight too)

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SHNIPE

I really don't think the pics are appropriate for this post. I've only just joined ATS and I don't want people thinking I'm an idiot for uploading pics of total blackness. I'm going to take a pic now in the day and a few more later on tonight so you can see where the light was situated. I've also just downloaded Stellarium, so I can check out if its a common space object.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
You know this whole Nibiru craze got out of hand when people are mistaking Venus and mars for nibiru.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join