It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star is getting brighter, bigger

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by violetteLx234

Venus is the the western sky. By March it will no longer be visible, then in April it will begin to appear before dawn in the eastern sky.

BTW, Polaris is not a very bright star.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I saw something like this last week, however it was in the S/SW sky Around 8-9 PM here in Southern NM. After awhile I just resigned and called it Venus, It was abnormally bright, and the light would 'pulsate', which was rather neat. I have not seen it since, though, which is pretty weird. I took some pics but they're blurry/wavy (it was cold and I couldn't hold the camera straight >_< )

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Chiiru]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
I first noticed this star a few summers ago, it would rise over the horizon about 4 am. It comes up hours earlier than that now. It looks alot bigger when it's low. It's very bright and has spiked lines eminating outward that make it appear triangular, with a hollow center. I've never noted it disappearing or moving. I do think it's getting bigger and brighter. It even remains as the last star visible as dawn comes. It's not venus.

I'm in the pacific northwest region, and it rises in a south, south-easterly direction, until moving upwards more southerly and then it loses it's triangular appearance, brightness and size.

I am in southwest UK took the dog out about 4:00 this morning and saw it in the sky. It appeared massive in comparison to all the other stars, I have been watching it on clear nights for months now.

I have a question also if this is Jupiter that I can now see without the aid of a telescope, when did it become visible and for how long will it remain so bright in the sky?

[edit on 29-6-2008 by violet]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by serenecalamityz

I am in southwest UK took the dog out about 4:00 this morning and saw it in the sky. It appeared massive in comparison to all the other stars, I have been watching it on clear nights for months now.

I have a question also if this is Jupiter that I can now see without the aid of a telescope, when did it become visible and for how long will it remain so bright in the sky?

[edit on 29-6-2008 by violet]

It is not Jupiter. Jupiter is not now visible.

If what you are seeing is in the western sky, it is probably the star Sirius (the brightest in the sky). In the eastern sky Arcturus is visible, also a very bright star.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by violetteLx234
ohmigod!..i really thought i was the only one who noticed it, around 8 pm i guess last sunday, i saw this star that you guys are talking about..and it was very very bright, i was really shocked when i saw it 'coz it was brighter than polaris and it was in the opposite direction of polaris..

and also, it seems to be like out of place, i mean no other stars around it, it's so weird..i have really been watching the sky ever since and something tells me that this is something..weird...

and plus i've been hearing stories about the nibiru stuff..and it's really quite creepy..

No need to jump to these conclusions until after exhausting all or at least some logical explanations. So, here's a place to start.

You didn't give a very detailed description of what you saw, but you did mention it was around "8PM" (time zone?) and the star was "brighter than Polaris and it was in the opposite direction". No clue about your location. It is always helpful to give your location, the time, direction, and apparent angle on the horizon of an object you're trying to figure out.

Assuming only that you live in North America and what you saw was in the southern sky...It is most likely the star Sirius or the planet Venus (They are the two brightest objects in the night sky, besides the moon obviously).

This SCREENSHOT shows part of the southern sky and is for the time 8PM CST; at that time Sirius is in the southeast and Venus is west of southwest. Start with locating Sirius and Venus, if you can eliminate them as suspects....then move on to the stars Rigel, Procyon, Betelgeuse, etc... Try doing that and see if you can reach a logical explanation for what you saw. Instead of just assuming it is something weird or creepy.

Originally posted by Chiiru
I saw something like this last week, however it was in the S/SW sky Around 8-9 PM here in Southern NM. After awhile I just resigned and called it Venus.

Chiiru in NM, that is indeed most likely Venus you saw (assuming it is still there; you said you hadn't seen it since). You may want to check the previously mentioned screenshot as well.

Originally posted by serenecalamityz

Serenecalamityz, Phage is correct as usual (Phage, by the way I'm a big fan of your posts in these type threads). What you saw was not Jupiter. It appears that there are a lot of bright stars visible in the UK at the time you mentioned. If you gave some more info, maybe somebody could help you...Or you could also download STELLARIUM and probably be able to figure out for yourself what it was you saw.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

While this is true, it might be worth noting that venus, the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon, is the victim of runaway global warming. So, although a planet's temperature won't directly affect it's magnitude, the cloud cover that causes venus to be so hot will reflect more sunlight.

I'd like to point out that he is not talking about Earths' global warming, but the other planets. They are also undergoing global warming, a clear proof that ours is not man made. It is solar weather, in spite of Gory Als' fantasies.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I know this is an old thread but this is the only one relevant enough for me to ask my question(can't post a thread with me being a newb). So i live in NE Oklahoma and there is this "star" in the sky, it hasn't always been there but here recently(since around may/june) its been getting brighter and actually seems to move. I know its not Elenin because it was destroyed during perihelion with the sun, i am just wondering what it is because it always catches my eye and then i just feel a bad doomsday-type vibe about it thinking its something that is going to wipe us out. I'm not an astrologer im just a teenager that lurks this forum. I also see a dim flashing star that switches colors from red white and blue(patriotic huh?!) Is this star the fabled "Blue Kachina" of Hopi prophecy or is it just a normal occurrence?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CannibalisticZombie

I have noticed this "star" for a long time myself. It is safe to say it isn't a star. It is much lower. I think it was put there for a reason. Not sure what it's purpose is but I also get a gloomy feeling about it myself. Check out "Project Bluebeam". I believe that it won't be long before they try to do the project. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I have seen it aswell and no it isnt venus its brighter then venus, venus has a orange white color when you see it blinking on the ground.
edit on 13-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Wouldn't be brighter than Venus, you'd have to view it while Venus is visible, Jupiter is the third brightest object in the night sky, Sirius is the brightest star. I don;t think its a new star, my smart money is on a new observation of our night sky. Things just don't pop up into existence without a lot of news in the astronomy field, and the ISS or bright satellites would only be in the night sky about 3 minutes.
edit on 13-10-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I noticed a super bright star too the other night but as it was off to the left of the moon, I figured it to be that planet that's right there. I'll keep an eye out though. It was a LOT brighter than normal.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I noticed a super bright star too the other night but as it was off to the left of the moon, I figured it to be that planet that's right there. I'll keep an eye out though. It was a LOT brighter than normal.

It's Jupiter and it looks HUGE in the eastern sky where I am.
earthsky.org...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

My ass it's not brighter than Venus. I have some hd videos where you see both venus and this object. Once I have figured out how to convert them to format for youtube, I will point back the link

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Jupiter is visible on the other side of the planet from you. It gets closer to Earth next year.

I can see it right now and with a 36x spotting scope can see the 4 Galileo Moons.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by Phage

Jupiter is visible on the other side of the planet from you. It gets closer to Earth next year.

I can see it right now and with a 36x spotting scope can see the 4 Galileo Moons.

You might want to take note that the post by Phage to which you replied was written almost 3 years ago.

On the day he wrote that post (January 27, 2009), Jupiter was NOT visible by anyone on Earth because it was basically behind the Sun (actually it appeared to be right next to the Sun from the viewpoint of Earth).

edit on 12/11/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join